• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Odyssey vs Galaxy

Odyssey or Galaxy?

• Total voters

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Ok, so Super Mario Odyssey is pretty groundbreaking, but so was Super Mario Odyssey.

Many people now consider Odyssey their favorite Mario game, but many still consider Galaxy their favorite game, or at least, a better one than Odyssey.

I am here to ask which is your favorite of the two, if it's your favorite Mario game of all time, and why you like it more than the other.

Personally, I prefer Galaxy for nostalgia and the presence of actual levels and interesting worlds, and also a better more memorable soundtrack. It is my favorite Mario title so far.

I didn't like Galaxy.

Now, let me explain before you all eat me alive.

I loved Mario 64 and I liked Sunshine but Galaxy felt as if it took the very worst part of Sunshine and made an entire game out of it.

Those damn 'secret levels' that are obstacle courses suspended above pits that you have to tackle without FLUDD which every world has two of... i hate them. It was jarring that they existed at all and it was a hassle getting kicked out of them when you messed up too much.

Galaxy felt as if Nintendo had ran with just that one idea. Sure, they expanded upon it and made it less annoying (even with wii waggle tech) but the parallels I felt between it and Sunshine meant that I didnt see Galaxy as this groundbreaking title. Rather, I found it to be a revisitation of an all too familiar nightmare.

My gripe with the Galaxy games as a whole come from their base design. Strip away the visuals and space theme and the amount of landmass we have to explore and roam is really minute. Sure, the gravity and being able to literally run around planetoids make the games seem interesting but really, when you think about it, there's not much there to do or interact with, and we spend so much time just gliding towards the next small piece of land.

I just couldnt accept Galaxy as the amazing and fresh take on Mario when it felt so familiar in design to something in a previous game that I really disliked.

Odyssey however... yes please! Best 3D Mario game ever.
Does that make me mainstream? A hipster? Wrong? Tough!

Odyssey is a great game and i honestly have a tough time saying anything negative about it.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
The only Mario games I like are Sunshine and Odyssey. I wasn’t really a big fan of Galaxy.

So I guess my pick has to be Odyssey. XD

Reactions: Doc
Odyssey had you collect 999 Power Moons. 119 of which they ran out of ideas for and you had to lazily buy them from a shop. Honestly it felt like they were just dragging the game on to milk every last ounce of play time they could. Even if it got repetitive or tedious.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Galaxy and Odyssey are the only two Mario games I’ve played. Odyssey was a great experience but not one I could get more than 20 hours out of. Galaxy I played over and over again. The levels were great from what I can remember and it was a lot of fun for me overall.

I’ve 100%ed both the galaxy games and odyssey, and I can honestly say that I’d much rather do the daredevil comet on Grandmaster galaxy from SMG2 than do any of the stupid minigame moons i.e the jump rope challenges/beach volley in SMO.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I think i prefer odyessy to galaxy even thou i cant spell it cuz galaxy was confusing to get my head around....

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
it can go either way for me, both games were amazing, but guess I'll give the edge to galaxy for its soundtrack and cinematics
however my favorite mario game is still paper mario 2

Mario Galaxy and Mario Bros 3 are my favourite Mario games ever.
In my opinion though very good, Mario Odyssey is not as good as Mario Galaxy.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Here is a guy critiquing Odyssey for two hours:

Actually it's pretty good. And yes I have seen it all that's just how I choose to live my life okay?

At certain points he goes into comparisons between Odyssey and all the other 3D Mario games and some of the 2D ones. It's a pretty thorough critique. And it should be to justify that run time.

His video on BotW is also really good (and really long).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom