• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Odd Similarity Between OoT and Star Wars

Link 2 the past

Slashy Slashy
Star Wars SPOILER ALERT

Watching Return of the Jedi today. Well at the end when they are having the sort of party to celebrate the destruction of the death star and Luke see the ghost of his farther, it struck me that this is oddly similar to the ending to OoT. You know the bit on the end credits where they are having that party in Hyrule field. They are both in a sort of wood area, both have a fire and music and both are celebrations of the main villains death.

I'm sure this is just coincidental, I can't think why Nintendo would want to take ideas for an end credit sequence from a science fiction film that, even back then, was over 10 years old.

On a side note, I always thought it was kinda mean of Zelda to send Link back right away, instead of waiting till after the celebrations. After all, Link is largely responsible for what they are celebrating, shouldn't he be allowed partake in them, and have people thank him?

Um... Star Wars had never crossed my mind while playing ANY of the Zelda games, but I guess if you stretched it you could see a similarity...

As for Zelda sending Link back, Link doesn't really seem like the party type to me. He's the kind of guy that leans on the wall and watches everyone else have a good time you know? :D

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
Yeah, I guess I can a slight similarity there. But I really doubt it goes beyond that. The battle was won, and the land was free again, so they got everyone together, burned some wood, and started dancin'. I mean, who wouldn't want to go party like a mad man after the ultimate king of evil was slain, and the oppression was over? I sure as heck would. =P

And I agree with Vergo about Link's personality. And also, people who go through a war, kill people, see people get killed, and make it out alive, it can really 'em. So going through all those hardships could make Link's personality deepen.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
Yeah, I can see the similarity, but don't most of those types of movies and games end the same way after the bad guy is defeated? It would make sense if a few of them occurred in a forest/wooded area.

S

Seinfeld

It's a very small similarity, but I never really never though about it when I played OoT or watched ROTJ.

Welbanks

My mom says im cool...
Actually Star Wars was the first thing i thought about while watching that scene from OoT, I doubt that they did it on purpose, but I do see similarities.

MOS3

Agent Of Chaos
Most likely it's just a coincidence. After all it's a very generic ending. Like HH said, it's just obvious that they (gerudos, zoras, hylians, etc...) would be partying after Ganon being finally defeated.

Johnny Boy

Doctor JB!
Ha ha, this is an interesting point.
I can actually see where you are getting the resembelance.
At the end of Star Wars, all of the people are partying and the little animal people are playing on drums made from the Stormtrooper's helmets. :P
At the end of Oot, all the main characters are gathered around in the center of Lon Lon Ranch. Not a forested area.
Heh, good topic though. :nod:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Why can't people party after vanquishing evil?Does that automatically connect it with a Star Ward ending?
Man, and yes, they're partying on the Lon Lon Ranch, not a forest area...
I think it is just coincidence

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Well, I don't know if this contributes, but I came up with a thing to add on to this. The Triforce and The Force are similar in style. In example, they're both sacred things that are attainable (To some extent. Only a Jedi can use the Force, and only one who is worthy of the gods can use the Triforce). They both give powers and abilities (The Triforce grants wishes, the Force allows for the manipulation of objects).

They also both are used for good and evil (The Force has the Jedi and Sith, the Triforce has Link & Zelda and Ganondorf). I know, its kinda off topic, but it just adds to the similarities. I could understand why there was a party, because the Imprisoning War was done with, Ganon was, for the moment, no more, and the world was at peace.

Yet Link was forced to skip the party because Zelda sent him back, and, even though I haven't seen Return of the Jedi, I'm not sure if Luke was a part of the party or not. I'll watch it when it comes up on TV (Spike has this Star Wars weekends, where every Saturday night at 8 PM EDT, they air a Star Wars movie).

Last edited:
M

mamu mamu

Star Wars SPOILER ALERT

On a side note, I always thought it was kinda mean of Zelda to send Link back right away, instead of waiting till after the celebrations. After all, Link is largely responsible for what they are celebrating, shouldn't he be allowed partake in them, and have people thank him?

lolwow, i dont think that this was taken from star wars. About zelda though... ur right, she was very mean.

Ahahahah! That's funny. I usually find similarities about the Zelda game I played in other places and tv programs when I am just done with it. I even hear part of its music somewhere else...I think I'm just crazy, hahah.

And I agree, I felt bad Link wasn't there to party with them :(

I never really made the connection. Zelda is one of my top video game series, and Star Wars is probably my favorite movie series, but I still never found anything that reminded me on SW by playing OoT.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I never really made the connection. Zelda is one of my top video game series, and Star Wars is probably my favorite movie series, but I still never found anything that reminded me on SW by playing OoT.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and I never made any connection here. I think it might have just seemed similar because of the setting, but it was a natural fit. A lot of OoT took place in forest / field settings, and a party seemed like the right thing to take place at the end. I'm not saying that the producers don't take influence from other sources, but I think this might have just been a fluke. It's too vague a connection in my eyes.

Now if Ganondorf cut off your hand and told you he was your father... :)

:xd: I have a special thing that I say whenever a "______ is just like star wars!" Thread comes about.
Master Link said:
Almost everything, in some way, can be compared to Star Wars

But now, there are some small similarities, but nothing really major here. It's not anything hugely significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom