• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT-N64 Ocarina of Time

I personally believe the OOT is one of the best games of all time.... And although I have enjoyed the console games following I think that it is the best Zelda game (of the consoles because i have only briefly played the handhelds and 8bits) So can any Zelda game really top OOT?

22hoursstraight:)

I think the mystique behind Ocarina of Time has not been topped since, but I'd say Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess are both more solid games, and rightfully so, as they were both made to try and top OoT.

The thing I really miss from OoT are the dungeons. Every dungeon just seemed to have its own completely unique theme unto itself, and there was just something about them that just made them last in your memory. Zoras, Gorons, Gerudos, Hylians, Kokiris and all of the races are flawless, there's such a sense of warmth and an awe factor when you play OoT. But again, TP and MM are both better "games", as in they offer more to the gameplay and are much more difficult.

I agree with both of you as far as a challenge aspect of gaming.. no doubt Majora and Twilight amped of the challenge parts of the zelda series. But I do agree that OOT did a fantastic job with having different races of creatures i think that the Zelda games should try and head back to their base.

MW7

IMO the two Zeldas that are above Ocarina of Time in quality are Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past. In terms of overall reception I think it's possible that the video game industry will have another game that is popular with critics to the extent that OOT was but I wouldn't hold my breath. In that respect it's possible for a Zelda game to surpass OOT but it hasn't happened yet.

One thing that I find hilarious is that IGN declared Twilight Princess the greatest Zelda game ever surpassing OOT, but then when Skyward Sword was released they said Skyward Sword surpassed OOT as the greatest Zelda. If it's going to stay the benchmark by which new Zeldas are judged then how are games "better" than it? When Wii U Zelda releases the cycle will probably repeat itself again and IGN will compare it to OOT.

In one respect OOT has been surpassed though. It sold 7.2 million copies, but I believe Twilight Princess is nearing 8 million total sales if you combine the Wii and Gamecube sales of the game. I don't count OOT 3d in OOT's numbers since it's technically a new game.

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I think that OoT was topped by SS and about as good as TP. I think that MM was about the same for how much i liked it, which is strange for how different they were. This is just my opinion though.

There are a lot of Zelda games I like more than Ocarina (really all of them except the first two, the oracle games, four swords and four swords adventures, Spirit Tracks, and Twilight Princess; so, I guess it's more like half of them). As far as the difficulty argument goes I actually have more trouble with Ocarina than virtually any other Zelda game (the exceptions being A link to the Past, Majora's Mask, and Adventure of Link), so I'd say it is more or less perfect in that regard. I've always really liked Ocarina, but I've never understood how it could be known as one of the best games of all time. I mean, so many since then have been so much better, which makes sense because the Zelda series definitely should have improved over the last fourteen years.

MW7

There are a lot of Zelda games I like more than Ocarina (really all of them except the first two, the oracle games, four swords and four swords adventures, Spirit Tracks, and Twilight Princess; so, I guess it's more like half of them). As far as the difficulty argument goes I actually have more trouble with Ocarina than virtually any other Zelda game (the exceptions being A link to the Past, Majora's Mask, and Adventure of Link), so I'd say it is more or less perfect in that regard. I've always really liked Ocarina, but I've never understood how it could be known as one of the best games of all time. I mean, so many since then have been so much better, which makes sense because the Zelda series definitely should have improved over the last fourteen years.

I think a large part of it is just the fact that it's the highest rated game of all time. It's not the same as being the best, but it definitely matters that the game was universally loved by critics.

OOT is the best imo, but it is not my favorite. I prefer ALTTP personally probably because of nostalgia. I beat Ocarina for the first time last summer so my opinion is not nostalgia based to make things clear. I felt the story, dungeons, and final boss were better designed in OOT, but nostalgia still keeps ALTTP as my favorite.

I think the mystique behind Ocarina of Time has not been topped since, but I'd say Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess are both more solid games, and rightfully so, as they were both made to try and top OoT.

The thing I really miss from OoT are the dungeons. Every dungeon just seemed to have its own completely unique theme unto itself, and there was just something about them that just made them last in your memory. Zoras, Gorons, Gerudos, Hylians, Kokiris and all of the races are flawless, there's such a sense of warmth and an awe factor when you play OoT. But again, TP and MM are both better "games", as in they offer more to the gameplay and are much more difficult.
This. I really missed the diversity of dungeons and races OoT had when playing SS and just then I noticed how good It was. After OoT, every other Zelda felt "incomplete". I'm not saying those recent zelda suck, I've had lots of fun with them, but if they had a more OoT-like structure they could've been better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom