• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Ocarina of Time Vs. Majora's Mask

MW7

By overall merit: OoT
By personal preference: MM

I agree. I definitely prefer Majora's Mask, but I can't make an argument in favor of it being the better game. If we're talking about what is the better "Zelda game" then I don't think it's close at all because Majora's Mask is such an atypical Zelda game whereas Ocarina of Time is very prototypical of the series. What I mean is how can Majora's Mask be called the best Zelda game (or at least better than OOT) if it's barely a Zelda game? As far as pure video games go, ignoring the fact that they are both Zelda games then I'd still say OOT is slightly ahead. You also have to consider the fact that MM reuses many aspects of OOT (even going as far as reusing character models) and is a direct sequel.

I choose MM. OoT is a wonderfully epic game, but I think that's its biggest appeal. While the epicness of OoT is done to perfection, I think MM has more replay value, and that's why I prefer it.

F

flameblade97

i feel that Oot was more based oon gameplay and the story rather than majoras mask is more directed towards alot of sidequests its a very difficult decision because MM inquired alot what OoT didnt get to put in like the ultamte form of link and the use of more sidequests and the icee arrow was actually used in MM but OoT had also been alot more towards the story so
Gameplay and Story : OoT
Sided Quests and use of more equipment :MM

I love both games, but OoT takes the cake because it was less tedious then majoras mask was. The time scheme in MM was genius but when I played at a young age it was very frustrating, annoying and made the game less fun because I tried to rush through it. The time gave me anxiety! I feel like I should replay it to see how my feelings have changed, but this opinion is based off of both games when I played them at the age of 10.

I love both games, but OoT takes the cake because it was less tedious then majoras mask was. The time scheme in MM was genius but when I played at a young age it was very frustrating, annoying and made the game less fun because I tried to rush through it. The time gave me anxiety! I feel like I should replay it to see how my feelings have changed, but this opinion is based off of both games when I played them at the age of 10.

You should definitely play MM again, I'm not gonna spoil anything for you but there is a way to make the time limit somewhat of a non-issue.

For me its Oot.
I love the epic story, the nostalgia, the characters, the dungeons.
But I also love MM's darker atmosphere, its side quest (which I believe lack a lot in Zelda) and character develepmont
With MM its just a lot harder to get into the story, and in the beginning I hated the 3-days system.

MM was such an intriguing story, and you weren't just saving a bunch of people that you had no clue existed (as in OoT), you were saving people that you had interacted with and been involved in the emotions of their lives. Also, the fact that Majora's Mask is this evil force that almost possesses the SKull Kid is just awesome, we haven't seen a dark story like this in a Zeldaw game in a long time as most of the villains have been more 'supervillain' if you know what I mean. The villains like Vaati and Ganon are just purely evil, there is no opposite side to them which makes them human. Skull Kid is innocent and does not know any better, and he threatens Termina with something terrible as a result of an outer force, and that threat is certain death with the moon looming overhead, waiting to crush all the civilians of Clock Town. Coooool. OoT did not have this.

This definitely a question that will be discussed for ages, i liked both games, MM had great gameplay, so did OoT, i almost feel as its comparing apples to oranges. In MM you have the 3 day time limit, sure you can reset it, but i personally found that part annoying. Now in OoT, theres 8 dungeons, 9 counting ganons tower. I think if you are more into the action of the game, the fighting part, OoT is better, if you want a deep storyline, with characters that can make you feel, then you want MM. My opinion though is OoT is better, i liked the storyline, the action, the whole game, also ive found pretty much every easter egg, 100%d the game numerous times, i pretty much like it more.

Z

Zeldafan101

majoras mask

majoras mask is more challenging but quicker and OOT is longer and easier and a better story in my opinion :)

majoras mask is more challenging but quicker and OOT is longer and easier and a better story in my opinion :)

I would beg to differ about the better story statement. I mean, it's all personal preference, but from a writing perspective, I think if MM n OoT were made into movies, people would prefer MM because of the whole Skull Kid deal, how he's actually innocent but the mask gives him powers that he is too immature to handle. With Ganondorf in OoT, he's somewhat of a typical villain, he's simply trying to "take over the world". The fact that armageddon is coming for the people of Termina makes MM a bit more dire IMO.

M

MajorasWrath2.0

I personally like Majora's Mask
1) Pretty much every NPC had a back story, and each one amazing
2) The best Side Quest in the entire series was Anju/Kafeil
3) I like the dark and mysterious nature in video games

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ocarina of Time wins this, but I hold both to be equal to each other. I feel as if OoT and MM are just one big game; they're so similar and involve the same Link...it's a bond unlike any other that the Zelda series has ever seen. I don't even consider TWW and PH to be the same game, and they involve pretty much the same cast of characters!

OoT has the gameplay, dungeons and story. MM carries the best character development Zelda has ever seen, as well as sidequests.

I like Majora's Mask a lot more then Ocarina of Time. I like the atmosphere and sense of mystery that I got when I played this game for the first time. I also like that there's more focus on sidequest in this game. And the NPC felt more like real people then the ones in Ocarina of Time. Even after all these years MM still has that same feeling that I got the first time that I played it back in 2000.

alkane

pokemon master of hyrule
wow thats an extremely hard choice... i love both games.
ocarina of time has an amazing story,dungeons,items,and well everything... but after its 100% it starts to get boring after awhile... in oot 3d you can now fight the bosses again.
majoras mask has an equally amazing story,great dungeons,you've benn able to re-challenge bosses,items,but it does have the things that made so different from oot.
1. no zelda
2.termina instead of hyrule
3.masks/ transformation masks!!!
4.majora, a completely new antagonist
5.ability to easily replay a dungeon or sidequest
6.a different way to save

the lack of zelda and hyrule was a nice change, and the masks make the game sooo fun!!! Majora is absolutely awesome, he's more fun to fight than ganon.going back in time to save and be able to play through a dungeon or side quest again is so fun.
although i love oot im gonna have to go with majoras mask

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom