• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask

Which one?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
Majora's Mask for sure. There are a lot of things about Ocarina of Time that bore me. Really everything except gathering MOST heart pieces and the 8 dungeons. The overworld was bland, I think. Most heart pieces feel rewarding to get, but I've beaten the game over a dozen times and yet to have a good experience at the fishing hole. The only part of Majora's Mask that bores me is the Anju/Kafei sidequest. The rest is amazing.

Having only played the 3DS remakes of both, I can at least say this: Majora's Mask has aged better. Ocarina was great, but on the whole, there are just some things that hold it back. While I think the main quest is very enjoyable, with great dungeons, it's the sidequests that are really lacking. Now I'm not saying that because they're less elaborate than Majora's are, that's fine with me - it's not the focus of the game. The problem is just how unfun Ocarina is to 100%.

Think about the Skulltulas. While I really like that quest, it's actually really tedious to finish just because of how complicated it is to work out which ones you are missing, and where they are. The map shows you an icon if you found all of them in an area, so if it's missing, you know just where to look. The problem is that, even if I know there's still at least one Skulltula in, say, Death Mountain, I don't know which part of it it's in, wether it's in the future or in the past, where to start looking. This means I might go back to the past suspecting I missed one there, which forces me to go back to the Temple of Time, watch the sword cutscene, and either make my way back up the mountain or use the Bolero of Fire. Didn't find it in the past? Warp to the Temple of Time again, watch the sword cutscene again, go back to Death Mountain once more. Ooh, there it is! Wait, there's still more? Did I miss the soft soil spot? I did miss the soft soil spot, didn't I? Back to the Temple of Time then. Hmmm, gonna have to catch a bug. Warping to Kakariko Graveyard to catch one, then warping to Death Mountain again. That's not it. WHERE IS THAT THING?? Go back to the Temple of Time yet again to look for it in the future. (and so on)

The above is an account of my own experience trying to 100% the game (I gave up when I couldn't get the stupid cow), and it just stopped being fun when it came to do the finishing touches. Time travel is really tedious, so I wanted to avoid doing it as much as I could. The warp points often being out of the way didn't help much either.

I can't really fault the game for that seeing as it's so old, and it DID do a lot of things right. I just think that some of the mechanics are really outdated, and it's noticable.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Ocarina of Time was a great adventure with brilliant dungeons and interesting locations, but Majora's Mask had a better story.

It's really difficult to choose between the two, as they're both my top favorite Zelda games. Ocarina of Time was an exciting journey, but Majora's Mask takes the cake when it comes to storyline and character development. The main difference between the two games is that Ocarina of Time showcases passionless NPC's while Majora gives these characters life and allows you to feel and understand what they're thinking and going through.

I can't say one is better than the other, as each of these classics have pros and cons of their own. (Not really many cons though in either title.)

Ocarina of Time:
Pros -
  • Great dungeons
  • Fun gameplay
  • Cool items
  • Unique and extraordinary soundtrack
Cons -
  • Boring NPCs
  • Not enough side quests

Majora's Mask:

Pros -
  • Brilliant storyline
  • Interesting locations
  • Lots of interesting side quests
  • The ability to change forms and gain different abilities
  • Incredible soundtrack
  • Character development
Cons -
  • Too few dungeons
  • Could've included more areas to explore

I suppose if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick MM simply because of the reasons I listed and I enjoyed it the most.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Ocarina of Time was a great adventure with brilliant dungeons and interesting locations, but Majora's Mask had a better story.

It's really difficult to choose between the two, as they're both my top favorite Zelda games. Ocarina of Time was an exciting journey, but Majora's Mask takes the cake when it comes to storyline and character development. The main difference between the two games is that Ocarina of Time showcases passionless NPC's while Majora gives these characters life and allows you to feel and understand what they're thinking and going through.

I can't say one is better than the other, as each of these classics have pros and cons of their own. (Not really many cons though in either title.)

Ocarina of Time:
Pros -
  • Great dungeons
  • Fun gameplay
  • Cool items
  • Unique and extraordinary soundtrack
Cons -
  • Boring NPCs
  • Not enough side quests
Majora's Mask
Pros -
  • Brilliant storyline
  • Interesting locations
  • Lots of interesting side quests
  • The ability to change forms and gain different abilities
  • Incredible soundtrack
  • Character development
Cons -
  • Too few dungeons
  • Could've included more areas to explore

Well written and it takes the words from my mouth.

Last edited:
I recently finished majora's mask for my first time, I tried playing it as a kid, but the 3 day mechanics were too confusing for me and I put it down, I finally picked up now that I'm a lot older (13 years later) and I loved it. Both Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time created experiences and worlds that I could explore and get lost in, but Majoras Mask was a game that I could be emotionally invested in, there were many times where I stopped playing and had to really think about what was happening and what the npc's were saying. It is a Zelda experience that I don't think any title has been able to replicate up to this point.

Manaburn

Graphics Artist
Just about to finish my first playthrough on OoT. I'm about to enter the Spirit Temple for the first time. After I beat the game, I plan on playing MM.

edit; just beat Ganon and now I'm sad because the game is over. Was it ever epic though!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom