• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask

Which one?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Chidori

Mongrel
Well i thought i'd make a Topic like this so their could be something worth debating on.

Anyway out of these two games on the Nintendo 64 Era which did you like better, Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. My Persanol favourite Zelda game is Majora's Mask so i am obviosuly taking the quiet side. I might aswell explain why aswell.

Majora's Mask introduced new and Original Gameplay which showed how awesome Nintendo can be with ideas and either way in my opinion i loved this change. The fact that i could transform into 4 different beings to get through various Temples was literally the best thing that has ever come from Zelda in my opinion. I can't see why Nintendo hasn't tried this again other than TP though being a Wolf wasn't exactaly THAT impressive. I also thought the Music and Sound in Majora's Mask improved alot from Ocarina of Time, i can't explain it in words because i can't compose music but if you have played the game i am sure you would know what i mean though it is only my opinion. I thought Clock Town sounded better than Hyrule Market, i thought all the Temple's Music sounded better than OOT's Temples exept for the Spirit Temple and maybe the Forest. A good reason though for liking it is because it was merely additional to the Zelda series because it didn't take place in the actual main story with Ganondof taking over the worlt yet it stood out surprisingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I think Majora's Masks biggest weaknesses are exactly Ocarina of Times strengths. Only 4 major temples in Majora's Mask compared to 9 in Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask introduced a brand new fresh story, while OOT built on previous stories and well known characters. There was basically no Zelda in MM either, just a 30second cameo early in the game.

I think overal OOT was definately the better game, but MM at times takes undeserving heat when compared to OOT. I think it mostly has to do with the fact that OOT was released first. While it wouldn't make sense to go from MM to OOT as it would be regression, OOT was just a huge step forward from previous Zelda titles and in comparison MM was just a small step forward. It was the same game engine, just all as young link, new story, and several new gameplay aspects.

Both highly enjoyable and still worth playing today, but my pick out of these two would be Ocarina of Time.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hardXcoreXrider

oot no doubt about it. but i did like mm alot. the new gameplay was pretty good. at times it would get annoying when you lose all your rupees, stock items, and event items, and had to start things over if you wanted a certain item but other than that the game was good. and yes the transformations were really cool my fav is zora link.

R

RAM1125

I've yet to play MM, so I can't say if I like it better than OoT. I do love OoT for pretty much the same reasons as Mases.

Chidori

Mongrel
Mases said:
I think Majora's Masks biggest weaknesses are exactly Ocarina of Times strengths. Only 4 major temples in Majora's Mask compared to 9 in Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask introduced a brand new fresh story, while OOT built on previous stories and well known characters. There was basically no Zelda in MM either, just a 30second cameo early in the game.

I think overal OOT was definately the better game, but MM at times takes undeserving heat when compared to OOT. I think it mostly has to do with the fact that OOT was released first. While it wouldn't make sense to go from MM to OOT as it would be regression, OOT was just a huge step forward from previous Zelda titles and in comparison MM was just a small step forward. It was the same game engine, just all as young link, new story, and several new gameplay aspects.

Both highly enjoyable and still worth playing today, but my pick out of these two would be Ocarina of Time.

That small step forward and small add on doesn't change my opinion. A game is a game after all. The Temples didn't concern me that much because from my point of view i thought they were funner in general maybe due to it's "small little addons". What i am trying to say is the added gameplay and the fact that i had to transform into different beings in order to solve the puzzle or get through the temple. The Brand New Fresh Story in my opinion was great because i actually liked it more than the default story of Link stabbing Ganon with the Master Sword to save Hyrule or whatever. So what your saying is Zelda has to be in pretty much every game for it to be part of the Series? Well that's your opinion, if your gonna complain about that every time then look at the Early games AoL and LoZ.

I have to say that OoT is the better game. OoT was the first 3D Zelda game, it had amazing gameplay, and a gripping story. MM was good, with the time limit and all, but its not nearly as good as OoT.

Z

zeldanon

They are both great games, but in my opinion, OoT is better. I think it is better because, first of all, it was the first game I ever played! It was also the first 3d game. One thing, amazingly, that stuck with me was the sound of the crows in Hyrule Field!

I dont think Chidori has even played loz or aol...guess what, Zelda is in each of those games. And when did Mases ever say MM isnt part of the series?

Chidori

Mongrel
I have played both of the games. Mases said there is only a 30 second flashback with Link and Zelda kinda like tje 30 seconds or less used to see Zelda in the first games.

There is much more than 30 seconds with Zelda in AoL, and there only needs to be a little bit of time for LoZ since its the end of the game. Zelda wasnt actually in MM, thats all Mases said, I dont see how you got because she wasnt actually in the story its not part of the series.

OoT is better in my opinion storyline wise. MM is better gameplay and music wise. Might not say the same if we ever got the chance to play the first version of OoT (not the demo, not pre beta, but the first completed game that was never released and later remade into the OoT we all know now).

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Ya, Zelda wasn't in that much of LOZ since well, in the actual gameplay, you only see Zelda for a brief period at the very end. Nonetheless, in comparison to MM, Zelda was in the game ALOT more since basically the entire story revolved around her while in MM she was just a toss in.

Same with AOL, actual gameplay wise, Zelda plays a minor role, but storyline she played a crucial part.

It is not necessary really to include Zelda, but I just thought throwing in a 30second cameo was unecessary. If theres gonna be no Zelda, don't include something that may keep the gamer thinking she might be there. Look at LA, there was no Zelda and that was still an amazing Zelda title.

Chidori

Mongrel
The 30 second cameo was just a way to make Link use the Song of Time, they could have done it any other way but i still don't see how it effects the Game being worse than Ocarina of Time. I focus alot more on the Gameplay than the game it self, you know where i'm going? Them putting in the Masks to solve puzzles etc was awesomesauce. You could say the Gameplay was atleast slightly better in Majora's Mask.

He never said it made the game worse neither dude. But I do agree gameplay was better in MM, not just cuz of the masks, even the skills are better. For instance (small example) when Link jumps he actually does a variety of flips or manuevers where as in OoT it was very plain when it came to jumping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom