• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask

Which one?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
Now in terms of gameplay you can not say OOT was better because it was the same thing as MM. You had the same moves Link has as both and adult and child. And in MM you have pretty much all of adult Link's weapons so what's the difference? The masks themselves are the expansion to OOT's very good gameplay and each one adds new to the mix so once again MM is quite dominant in terms of gameplay.

Now here's the thing everyone complains about MM is the time limit which is not a problem if you just learn to utilize it correctly. I can break the forest temple without getting the fairies before day 1 ends because I turn back the clock as soon as I get the song. I can clear Snowhead in 1 day and night. So the time limit is actually only a minor thing if you know how to work with it. Practice makes... near perfect.
MM

Charge, we've already argued to the death about this, but I don't think that the time traveling aspect of MM manages to pull it ahead in terms of absolute game play. If anything, it would downplay it, seeing as equipment has to be constantly restored whenever you replay time, and it gets quite annoying. If you fail a certain quest, you have to replay everything leading up to it, cut scenes included. The whole Couple's Mask side quest comes to mind, as well as the Romain Mask side quest. Both are easy to screw up, and you'll end up having to basically start over again. The Couple's Mask was the worst. Even with the Song of Double time, there was far too much waiting. Having to do it all over again because you messed up one detail is more of an annoyance that a plus in game play. Actually, it's more of something that makes people want to give up on a game altogether. Repeating the same thing isn't fun at all. This is a main reason why MM is looked down upon by many as the worst of the 3D titles is precisely this: The time limit is a barrier, something that keeps you from doing what you want to do when you want to do it. OoT had some of these, but they could be easily removed just by beating a dungeon or finding an item.

Of course, I had no problem with the time limit. It's what makes MM MM. But, the time limit alone is something that drags down game play to the lowest level for many, and is by itself enough to make people give up on it and dislike the entire game.

I do agree with Vergo on that point, Even though I don't care about the Time limit in this games, For some it does make some of the easiest takes tedious. I have juast reached the first part of the game where I had to start over, Get all the items needed to do the nest part and then continue.

It does ruin this game for some people, The masks are great and give MM great gameplay but to people that arn't good at MM the time limit completely destroys that. They find it annoying having to do things over and over again just so that you can get one thing done.

I admit that this does make certain area's of this game tedious to do and therefore brings overall enjoyment down for the game as a whole. One example of this is the many many players that got frustrated with the sidequests like Anju & Kafei, This sidequest has annoyed many out there that have kept failing, I haven't gotten to do it myself yet but I still know how it has annoyed people.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Charge, we've already argued to the death about this, but I don't think that the time traveling aspect of MM manages to pull it ahead in terms of absolute game play. If anything, it would downplay it, seeing as equipment has to be constantly restored whenever you replay time, and it gets quite annoying. If you fail a certain quest, you have to replay everything leading up to it, cut scenes included. The whole Couple's Mask side quest comes to mind, as well as the Romain Mask side quest. Both are easy to screw up, and you'll end up having to basically start over again. The Couple's Mask was the worst. Even with the Song of Double time, there was far too much waiting. Having to do it all over again because you messed up one detail is more of an annoyance that a plus in game play. Actually, it's more of something that makes people want to give up on a game altogether. Repeating the same thing isn't fun at all. This is a main reason why MM is looked down upon by many as the worst of the 3D titles is precisely this: The time limit is a barrier, something that keeps you from doing what you want to do when you want to do it. OoT had some of these, but they could be easily removed just by beating a dungeon or finding an item.

Of course, I had no problem with the time limit. It's what makes MM MM. But, the time limit alone is something that drags down game play to the lowest level for many, and is by itself enough to make people give up on it and dislike the entire game.

Yes you can messed up, but that is the point of a mission. If it wasn't then Zelda would never have game overs in the first place and you would be given infitnitive lives. Or Gorman would never win in a race.

Also getting your equipment back isn't that big of a deal since all you can do is A) Buy the stuff back. or :cool: Cut the grass. It's never an issue since you never use your weapons aside from your sword unless you want to go to a dungeon. I found that I never needed the arrows for anything outside the dungeons unless I wanted to use them. Now bombs might be another story but I find cutting the grass either.

Plus look in many of the newer Zelda's where you pretty much have next to infinitive ammo in your weapons, you barely go to shops more than once. So in truth, being able to use them gives the game less of a feeling of having memory wasted.

Also, people have to fail every now and then. New gamers especially fail but they keep on trying, that's the thing. This is still an opinionated matter that is based on how skillful you are, I knew 20 people who played MM and never had that hard of a time their first run. And I know 10 who had terrible times. It all depends on your skill at adapting to the gameplay.

Yes you can messed up, but that is the point of a mission. If it wasn't then Zelda would never have game overs in the first place and you would be given infitnitive lives. Or Gorman would never win in a race.

Messing up and having to start all over and spend an hour doing the same exact thing are entirely different scenarios. I once again bring up the Couple's Mask. One error is more than a mess-up. It means waiting, and a whole lot of it. The Romani Mask is the same way. Maybe if I could fast forward time to an exact period, it would be "messing up". No, it's called having your data erased and having to start from the beginning.

I could quote and argue with the other parts of your post, but we both know where it would lead again. Circles. :P

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Messing up and having to start all over and spend an hour doing the same exact thing are entirely different scenarios. I once again bring up the Couple's Mask. One error is more than a mess-up. It means waiting, and a whole lot of it. The Romani Mask is the same way. Maybe if I could fast forward time to an exact period, it would be "messing up". No, it's called having your data erased and having to start from the beginning.

I could quote and argue with the other parts of your post, but we both know where it would lead again. Circles. :P

Think though, compare this to old NES games where death was a huge problem that made you have to start over from the beginning. Mario 1 had you die and start from the beginning when you lost it all. Contra, AoL, Punch Out, LOZ, I could go on. D: D:

It's part of the game and plus it's only 2 real missions where this is an issue, Romani mission is less of an issue though because the whole thing is not that hard.

Plus (probably gonna bite myself later for saying this) but it's a sidequest, you really don't have to do it unless you're one for 100%. I don't think gameplay matters in terms of sidequests. They can't break the game because they are there only if you are a perfectionist. I guess they would only matter in terms of story and even that is debatable in terms of MM. (What with the different ways you can end the game.)

The problem is that both these issues are circles and more circles :P.

Think though, compare this to old NES games where death was a huge problem that made you have to start over from the beginning. Mario 1 had you die and start from the beginning when you lost it all. Contra, AoL, Punch Out, LOZ, I could go on. D: D:

Ya, which is the reason why NES games are hardly played by the current generation of gamers, and why the games for it are considered to be horrible by many. I think it's irrelevant that NES games were like this. It only contributes to them being looked down upon, just like MM is by many.

Plus (probably gonna bite myself later for saying this) but it's a sidequest, you really don't have to do it unless you're one for 100%. I don't think gameplay matters in terms of sidequests. They can't break the game because they are there only if you are a perfectionist. I guess they would only matter in terms of story and even that is debatable in terms of MM. (What with the different ways you can end the game.)

Funny thing is, many people praise MM game play just because of the side quests. If you're going to count that out, you've got a seriously short game on your hands, which would be huge minus when comparing to OoT, which was huge. It would also take away from the so-called amazing character development that MM had. In all reality, MM is a game of side quests. Take them away, and it becomes very bland.

The problem is that both these issues are circles and more circles :P.

lol, I'm glad we're getting to know each other. You can reply if you want, but we both already know how it would end. :lol:

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Ya, which is the reason why NES games are hardly played by the current generation of gamers, and why the games for it are considered to be horrible by many. I think it's irrelevant that NES games were like this. It only contributes to them being looked down upon, just like MM is by many.

Funny thing is, many people praise MM game play just because of the side quests. If you're going to count that out, you've got a seriously short game on your hands, which would be huge minus when comparing to OoT, which was huge. It would also take away from the so-called amazing character development that MM had. In all reality, MM is a game of side quests. Take them away, and it becomes very bland.

lol, I'm glad we're getting to know each other. You can reply if you want, but we both already know how it would end. :lol:

But they don't affect the main game horrifically. That's the point, I'm leaving them out as gameplay, but not as fun sidequests. You can never remove sidequests because they are never really needed. So in truth, I'm only removing sidequests as a gameplay aspect. You can't rate a game down for optional material. You can only rate it up for being a fun extra that you can play. Besides here's another situation people seem to repeat over and over again. Final Fantasy and kingdom hearts sidequests which notorious for being hard on you and you have to start the whole thing over, especially when these sidequests are almost double the length of MM sidequests.

Oh and new gamers are pansies.

N

Nejiron

I simply adore Majora's Mask. My favourite thing is that in order to complete it fully, you have to get to know all the characters, and you have to help them with their personal lives. It's much more personal. In fact, I don't even like Ocarina of Time at all. To me, it's biggest problem is that the field is so huge, and there's nothing to do in it. Termina is much more compact and fun.

But they don't affect the main game horrifically. That's the point, I'm leaving them out as gameplay, but not as fun sidequests. You can never remove sidequests because they are never really needed. So in truth, I'm only removing sidequests as a gameplay aspect. You can't rate a game down for optional material. You can only rate it up for being a fun extra that you can play. Besides here's another situation people seem to repeat over and over again. Final Fantasy and kingdom hearts sidequests which notorious for being hard on you and you have to start the whole thing over, especially when these sidequests are almost double the length of MM sidequests.

lolz, I forgot about this post. Sorry.

Even with that, players still give up on the time limit game play aspect as soon as they find out about it. I would bet there are many people here who started the game, couldn't find the Ocarina, and then gave up on it for a while. Even with the Ocarina, you'll still have to rush through the dungeons, and you'll have to keep rushing the entire game so you don't fall behind. That is, unless you want to rewind time and lose all of your progress, which is exactly what I've been saying this whole time. This game play aspect can never alone in any shape of fashion propel it above OoT's game play in any way imaginable.

Oh and new gamers are pansies.

But guess what? The new gamers on the ones that decide if the series goes on or not. The new gamers are the ones that decide whether a game concept is good enough to be remade. Hence, OoT was carried over into TP. MM was not carried over at all.

New gamers don't like it = Fail

B

Bag

I preferred Ocarina of Time, I played through the first dungeon in Majora's Mask, it's a very difficult game in my opinion, in Ocarina of Time you jump right to the first dungeon, which is what I prefer rather than Majora's Mask where I had to solve puzzle after puzzle to save that stupid village ^^.

I don't like how the game is revolved around the time as well (At least the first dungeon of the game was) that's when I stopped playing Majora's, but whatever I can't really call it a bad game without playing even a tenth of the game, but from what I played it wasn't my style.

D

DarkToonLink

I like Ocarina of Time

In my opinion, I like Ocarina of Time better because theres more to the game than majoras mask. in majoras mask, you just have to kill 4 boss to get masks, then then make there power stop the moon from crashing into the world, while in ocarina of time theres tons of cool items, lots of cool adventure, and the storyline is DEFINETLY better than majoras masks.

Z

Zach

I loved the time feature in Majora's Mask. It adds not only a difficulty factor, but an all around doom feeling that I've never experienced before. The moon falls, slowly. It takes 72 hours (Since each hour is 30 seconds, 36 minutes exactly in real time), so instead of a fast death, you actually get the feeling that you're going to die, and they're is nothing you can do about it. And the final hour's song that plays at midnight of the 3rd day is... Perfect.

Ocarina of Time has a great storyline, great game play, great... everything. It's a perfect game. There is little to no flaws in it (Though I wish the Z target system would lock on to the enemy if it's the only object in the area that you can possibly lock on too, but he's slightly to the left or right lol.)

But a thing I find that's just insane about these games are, if it's your first time you can easily get stuck between temples, not knowing what to do next. I found this mostly in the fire temple. How was I supposed to know that the door is behind the statue in the Goron's room? I had no clue, it took me 2 hours to figure out while all navi could say about the situation was "Did you see the cloud about Death Mountain?" -_-.

All and all, they're great games, and defiantly are near equals. But I'm a darker person, with darker tastes. So... I enjoyed Majora's Mask more, even though Ocarina of Time was a better game. I know that doesn't sound like it makes since, but it's how I feel.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
:):):):):)Ocarina of Time hands down. The thing is while majoras mask had transformations and mask powers which i will say is quite cool but majoras mask was a joke in terms of dundeons and they were just so easy the bosses were jokes and the hype of facing off against majora was didn't even come close where as ganon was quite hard and quite lived up to all the hype (if not surpassing it) and the dungeons were quite difficult and the bosses were a good challenge. need i say more?:):):):):)

fiercedeity619

Remember the name
i would say majoras mask. reasons why are the tranformation masks were cool, the time limit concept, the storyline, the dugeons, almost everything about majoras mask was amazing

I have to agree with Ver-go, Many people pick up MM and just think....'crap, A time limit and I can't find the Ocarina!'. They then give up, New gamers can't be bothered with that large a restriction. As Ver-go already said, This generation of pansy gamers are what decides what happens, They all demand hard games yet when they get one they throw it to the side. This lead to many gamers looking down on MM as a bad game.

Also, As Ver-go has stated, It is so annoying getting to the last day on a side quest and screwing up so you have to start all over again, Its annoying and boring. Also people get annoyed at the fact the they then have to go get more ammo even though it isn't really that hard, This generation are just to god damn lazy to try. I don't usually give up but this sidequest made me want to after failing a few times.

Really, You can't measure up MM's story to OoTs either, MM has a rather small story, It has nearly half of what OoT as in Temple's and many gamers prefer the Temple's, Not the side quests. So thats where more of these gamers give up. Although I don't like the fact that MM is looked down on upon by many for reasons to do with themselves, Not the game, its a fact.

The only reason that likes me prefer OoT more is that it has a good long story, MM has a good short one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom