• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask

Which one?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Really, the 3 day time travel didn't feel like time travel to me at all. It was more of an annoyance actually.

And the plot isn't just "save the princess" to me.

Hate to ask but, what was it other than "Save the princess and the world from a power hungry dictator." ? Because the rest is a blank to me, unless we get deeper into it where it gets to moral values.

Hate to ask but, what was it other than "Save the princess and the world from a power hungry dictator." ? Because the rest is a blank to me, unless we get deeper into it where it gets to moral values.

Well, the first 3 dungeons weren't about "save the princess" at all.

For the next 5, you don't know where the princess is. You're not trying to save her, but you're trying to awaken sages. It isn't until the last dungeon that the objective becomes "save the princess" to me.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Well, the first 3 dungeons weren't about "save the princess" at all.

For the next 5, you don't know where the princess is. You're not trying to save her, but you're trying to awaken sages. It isn't until the last dungeon that the objective becomes "save the princess" to me.

Good point. It was more of the "Save the world from evil dictator" thing for the most part.

C

cyko49

The darker and more serious tone of MM gave the impression that the story was a bigger concern than in Oot. While Oot had Ganon and Zelda, and presented the story that has become the basis for all future Zelda games, MM's story had a sense of impending disaster and the proposition that Link might have to become just as evil as Majora (by donning the Fierce Deity's Mask) if he wishes to stop it from destroying everything, intrigues me still.

To be blunt, I enjoy playing MM more than OoT simply because the richness of MM's story continues to make me think. And now, with the introduction of TP's plot a whole new debate begins over MM's story: Is the ancient tribe that created Majora's Mask connected somehow with the Twili/Dark Interlopers? Are they in turn somehow connected with the failing race of the Sheikah? Is there some connection between Majora's Mask and the Fused Shadows? These questions beg to be explored and were introduced by MM's story. The same cannot be said concerning OoT.

H

Hammer Bro. Mike

I really like Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time. Everything about it just seems better and they really advanced the engine a lot. Sure it's shorter but the side quests sure make up for it. I can't really explain all of it but I'm just tired of OoT.

MOS3

Agent Of Chaos
The darker and more serious tone of MM gave the impression that the story was a bigger concern than in Oot. While Oot had Ganon and Zelda, and presented the story that has become the basis for all future Zelda games, MM's story had a sense of impending disaster and the proposition that Link might have to become just as evil as Majora (by donning the Fierce Deity's Mask) if he wishes to stop it from destroying everything, intrigues me still.

that's true, but to me OoT is the best. Period. I absolutely love MM (does anyone else here think the "tree area" with all the kids playing jut before you face Majora's Mask is creepy as hell? lol) but OoT was the game that really made me fall in love with the series. And it had kick *** tv commercials.

S

Shawnogohma

Majora's Mask is in some ways better than Ocarina of Time, but Ocarina is a better game overall.

Here's some of things MM is better in:

More things to do (better replay value)

Much, much longer (sorry, but OoT is a pretty short game. Storywise at least.)

The ability to replay story quests, dungeons, and bosses anytime you want (something
that should of been in OoT.)

The ability to play as different species

More instruments

The characters in the story have more personality, including Link (who I swear has almost no emotions in OoT. Especially when he's older. I think older Link was perfected in Twilight Princess btw)

The graphics are better and smoother

The shops are actually useful. (Ocarina's shops are utterly useless. You only need a shop once, and that's it.)

The bosses are actually difficult (cause, let's face it, the bosses in Ocarina are PUSSIES. Although, they are cooler.)

Now here's some of the ways Ocarina is better:

More involving story line

Music is way better (the final battle theme is a.w.e.s.o.m.e.)

Dungeons are better

MORE dungeons and bosses

Hyrule is just better than Termina. SORRY

The bosses are more epic

The graphics are also more epic

The controls are near-perfect

You can save whenever you want (which isn't in MM. BTW, Majora's Mask needs to be arrested for FREEZING ON ME.)

Ocarina can actually be scary
130px-OotMoblin.jpg

Also, did I mention how AWESOME the final battle is? Did I?

Yeah, the final boss battle is way more awesome in Ocarina (Majora's Wrath is a pretty fun boss too. He's MM's Zant, so to speak. Except Zant provides a better, more cool fight.)

So, that's my opinion.

Johnny Boy

Doctor JB!
Ocarina of Time any day.
When Oot came out, it was a whole step higher than previous Zelda titles. The music, story, and fighting system were great. I was just taken back when I first played Oot. The great game never gets old.
When MM came out, I was excited to get it. The intro was pretty cool. I really liked how you could wear all of the different masks. But there was just something missing. I don't know though. I even thought the 3 days thing was cool. I just don't know why I wasn't as content with this as Oot. They're both great games though, and I highly suggest getting them if you haven't already.

I

ilovezelda101

They are both very good games,but i would have to say oot,just because it was my first zelda game. mm was awesome too,it was alot harder for me to play,but it had a new twist to the series which made it a very refreshing zelda game!

Both games had an awesome part! In OoT it was all about saving the Princess and awakening sages, which is a little similar to MM b/c you get the deku princess in the 1st temple and you awaken 4 guardians, but it changed after that. Ocarina of Time was the best in my opinion b/c it wasn't confusing and it followed one path unlike Majora's Mask where you have different side quests and you have to make all those ppl happy...it just got annoying, but I love them both b/c they are The Legend of Zelda games :)

To be blunt, I enjoy playing MM more than OoT simply because the richness of MM's story continues to make me think. And now, with the introduction of TP's plot a whole new debate begins over MM's story: Is the ancient tribe that created Majora's Mask connected somehow with the Twili/Dark Interlopers? Are they in turn somehow connected with the failing race of the Sheikah? Is there some connection between Majora's Mask and the Fused Shadows? These questions beg to be explored and were introduced by MM's story. The same cannot be said concerning OoT.
Hmm... that's an interesting thought. Maybe there was more significance to the Fierce Deity mask than I thought?

I know. MM was much more epic to me, and it seemed deeper as well. I agree with you here. ^^

link to present

Four Year ZD Member
Majora's Mask is in some ways better than Ocarina of Time, but Ocarina is a better game overall.

Here's some of things MM is better in:

More things to do (better replay value)

Much, much longer (sorry, but OoT is a pretty short game. Storywise at least.)

The ability to replay story quests, dungeons, and bosses anytime you want (something
that should of been in OoT.)

The ability to play as different species

More instruments

The characters in the story have more personality, including Link (who I swear has almost no emotions in OoT. Especially when he's older. I think older Link was perfected in Twilight Princess btw)

The graphics are better and smoother

The shops are actually useful. (Ocarina's shops are utterly useless. You only need a shop once, and that's it.)

The bosses are actually difficult (cause, let's face it, the bosses in Ocarina are PUSSIES. Although, they are cooler.)

Now here's some of the ways Ocarina is better:

More involving story line

Music is way better (the final battle theme is a.w.e.s.o.m.e.)

Dungeons are better

MORE dungeons and bosses

Hyrule is just better than Termina. SORRY

The bosses are more epic

The graphics are also more epic

The controls are near-perfect

You can save whenever you want (which isn't in MM. BTW, Majora's Mask needs to be arrested for FREEZING ON ME.)

Ocarina can actually be scary
130px-OotMoblin.jpg

Also, did I mention how AWESOME the final battle is? Did I?

Yeah, the final boss battle is way more awesome in Ocarina (Majora's Wrath is a pretty fun boss too. He's MM's Zant, so to speak. Except Zant provides a better, more cool fight.)

So, that's my opinion.

What do you mean oot was short? It had the most dungeons zelda in history up to that point and secondly the only thing good about MM is the masks and lastly it has the better character

Guardian

The Chosen One
I will have to go with Oot for this one , hands down. I say this because Oot was a very good game and it didn't have that annoying time limit that Majoras Mask introduced.

I'm not trying to say that the time limit was a bad thing but yes they wanted to introduce us to a new and fresher storyline and not repeat the same aspects that were in Oot. It also was very challenging and made you think and balance out your time wisely. Also the new transformations were a pretty cool addition to zelda franchise.

I also enjoyed playing through all the dungeons in Oot and not having to find fairies throughout the temple like in MM. Missing out fairies would lead you back into the temple to find it again which could be very frustrating. But yeah this is only ones opinion towards the matter.

Link 2 the past

Slashy Slashy
I've never understood why people think OoT is so amazing and by far the best of all the Zelda games. While MM is often considered one of the weaking Zelda games. To me they are about equal and can't really be compared because they are too diffrent from each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom