• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask

Which one?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
That one is definitely a toughy, but overall I would have to go with Ocarina of Time. I loved Majora's Mask, but just not as much as Ocarina of Time.

I've only beat Majora's Mask once, so I obviously pick OOT.

But I believe they are best as a pair. What OOT didn't have, MM has. What MM didn't have, OOT has. They are perfect when played one right after each other.

I chose Ocarina of Time in all honesty because its an easier and more casual game for Zelda fans that aren't hardcore fans. You can play it and put some hours into it and feel accomplished getting what you got and finishing your epic quest and move on to other games you enjoy.

With Majoras Mask, if you're a slight completist like me, you can never feel satisfied without getting all 24 masks which in my opinion is way too meticulous and long without a walkthrough.

Thinking back i didn't even need a walkthrough for OoT......ok ok for the water temple yea but thats it!!

W

Woodfall

I played Majora's Mask for the first time this year. I have played OOT since it came out in 1998. Before I played MM, I told myself that there was absolutely, positively no way that it could best OoT, which I considered to be the best game ever made. I was wrong.

Majora's Mask is an amazing experience. The story, the music, and the characters all come together in this unique game, which is completely unlike any other Zelda game in history. Althought OoT is probably the most solid traditional Zelda release, MM has something that OoT lacks, and that something is what makes it better, in my opinion. The dark apocalyptic feel to the game simply works, and it grips you from beginning to end. I feel much more immersed in this game than I do OoT. Even after I'm done playing, I can't help but think about the enjoyable quest I just completed. I start thinking about things like "Where is the entrance to Termina in the Lost Woods"? "How does Link get back to Hyrule"? "Did Link pass through to Termina's world when he fell down the hole, or when he went through the twisted tunnel"? The game is just a lot deeper than OoT, and despite having less dungeons, there seems to be a lot more to do.

Sorry OoT, but MM is a bit more special and exciting.

W

Woodfall

Majora's Mask is alot better IMO but if it wasnt for Ocarina of Time Majora's Mask wouldn't exist.

And if it wasn't for ALttP Ocarina of Time wouldn't exist. I don't really see what this argument is supposed to do. It has no bearing on whether one game is better than the other.

Though I often regard the games as two halves of a whole, the beauty and symbolism in Majora's Mask pushes it just a smidge ahead of OoT. I do love both the games, though.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Majora's Mask used to be my favorite Zelda, but as time goes on and more freezes come up and MM's save system consistently fails me...I find myself putting it lower on my list. It's not just the save either. I begin to notice how similar the transformation combat is to human form and other transformations. I notice how little fun I have in said transformations unless I am on Chateau Romani (then it's a blast). I begin to see how little story MM actually has and how overrated and underdeveloped the side-characters are. I see little development and personality in many of them and the only ones I end up liking are Tatl, Gorman, Postman, Swordsman, and Bombshop owner. Pretty good list actually for sidecharacters. But others like Anju and Kafei have surprisingly little personality...almost as much as Mario and Peach in the original SMB.

Ocarina of Time is the game of games, to put it frankly. Few games can compare to it. It revolutionized gaming, implementing the gameplay that has lived on and progressed to this day. It's nothing short of a masterpiece, albeit with minimal flaws, including lack of character involvement and a rather dull plot. Though even in the rather lackluster second half of the game in terms of story, there are always Sheik monologues and interactions with previously-encountered and new sages.

Majora's Mask took what OoT did wrong (and I use "wrong" loosely, because it's more like what OoT didn't get 100% right) and fixed it. Instead of giving us a sprawling adventure comparable to OoT, Nintendo gave us an articulate and cinematic adventure. I feel I may be a bit harsh on MM sometimes, because in terms of what it was aiming for, it is a masterpiece in its own right. It expanded on the plot and characters and gave the player an unprecedented involvement in the game. The game is rather short - although it does pack in numerous optional sidequests - which is a primary gripe of mine, along with the (in my opinion) very bad time-limit and save system. MM's not my cup of tea, but it has to be respected for what it is: the best artistic and interactive approach on the Zelda formula to date.

My vote will always go to OoT in this battle, but MM is a great successor to it.

New Link

Link's Reincarnation
My favorite of the two is probably OoT. Due to the EPICness and best dungeons in the series. OoT is a flawless game (but not my favorite zelda game :P) MM is everything I could want in an overworld and side quests, but I focus on dungeons a little more :P and, I suck timed.....

If after OoT you went directly into MM on ONE cartridge, that would be the best game ever made :party:

For me, it's Ocarina of Time, hands down. I do love Majora's Mask, too... it's a refreshing take... but I admit that I find the time-limit aspect to be frustrating. If I ran out of time -- and this happened -- I'd have to do the temple all over again.

Ocarina of Time is, to me, pure Zelda perfection.

Majora's Mask did have little dungeons and little items, it took a long time to beat those dungeons, making it feel like 8 dungeons worth of time to beat all of them. And if the moon is considered a mini dungeon, thats 9 in my eyes. Plus the masks and story make up most of the experience for me. I think majora's mask is better, but barely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom