• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask

Which one?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
It does seem like this thread has been on this site more than once. However, I did like MM better than Ocarina of Time, mainly because of the fact that when playing OOT, if you play through it once, and beat it once, it's not fun to play anymore than in your older years when you 'want to feel like a kid again'. MM never loses its style.

I prefer MM. OOT is one of the greatest games of all time but I just got into MM more. Once I got used to the time limit I started loving every thing about it. Everything had more character and it even seemed like there was more to Majora than ganondorf. Ganondorf was just basically evil and wanted control, on the other hand majora wanted destruction but when you got inside the moon you figure out that he is basically a really old child. The only reason I'm playing OOT right now is because I just got MM for the N64 and I wanted to play them back to back.

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I love these games both very dearly but for the better game story-wise and gameplay-wise I would say Majora's Mask. For Nostalgia-wise and boss-wise I would say Ocarina of Time. I still have to say Majora's Mask is the best.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
In some ways, I think the two games are inseparable from each other. My current conception of OoT wouldn't be the same if not for MM, and vice versa. If I had to choose between the two, I would probably choose Majora's Mask. There are several reasons:

1) I liked the Time Cycle as it was applied to the Bomber Notebook.
2) Tatl was a better sidekick. Navi isn't all that bad, but Tatl's self serving nature is pretty funny.
3) Majora's Mask has a much better Bunny Hood.

L

Legendary Sword

When I first bought Majora's Mask about 6 years agp (or so), I did not like it. I played the initial 3-day cycle and then stopped, possibly to never return again. however, this summer I stepped up my game and beat about 9 Zelda games, MM being one of the last. Boy, do I wish I had stuck with that game back when I purchased it... I loved it! I realized that the one thing I didn't like at the time (the time limit) was actaually brilliant and refreshing. So now, I love MM.

However, it remains number 5 on my list of favorite Zelda games, and I feel OoT (which I also did not actually complete until this summer) is even better and tied for my favorite video game of all time (with TP, one of the few games I had beaten before this summer). So I love MM, but I voted for OoT in this poll.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't know why, but OoT is the better choice to me in my opinion. The puzzles weren't overly simple, nor were they incredibly hard to solve. The characters, I admit, have a lot more background in MM, but they were technically introduced in OoT, because MM was using OoT's engine, coupled with all of the character models aside from Ganondorf and a few others. Also, now that I look at it, MM was basically an alternate "Child Story", provided because of what happened prior in OoT. Both are still very great games despite their ages, but OoT is definitely my favorite.

ok, so i voted a long time ago, but didn't post, so i'll do that now. i believe that OoT is superior to MM for about 3 reasons:

1. MM's time system. while it WAS more lenient than any other time limit, i still found it annoying. i hated how i was forced to restart the cycle to before completing a dungeon. i don't like to take the time to turn back time and THEN complete the dungeon. also, it might not bug me as much if they didn't take away all of your ammunition when you restarted. sure, it's easy to get them back, but it's STILL annoying. the worst part was that it was the only effective way to save.

2. that zelda feel. maybe it was only me, but MM didn't FEEL like a zelda game to me. when i think zelda i think "epic quest filled with magic and wonder where you stop the king of evil, rescue princess zelda, and protect the triforce" MM had almost none of that. now, a lot of people complain that OoT's plot was "stale and over used" but think back, OoT was only the third zelda game to do this. and it had a WAY deeper plot than the earlier two, so i don't think it's stale at all. i guess you could call me traditional in the sense that i still love the "link vs. ganondorf to save zelda" story

3. basic appeal. a lot of things in MM that people love i either don't like or don't really care about for some reason. for example, a lot of people like how the characters in MM were more fleshed out, but i didn't care about them. call me a cold hearted jerk, but i absolutely didn't care whether these characters lived or died. in fact, my basic thought during most of the sidequests were "i don't care about your story, just give me my reward." another example is the masks, was i supposed to have fun with these things? well i didn't. i hated questing for new masks that only end up giving you 1 or 2 heart pieces. i didn't even find the transformation masks entertaining. i hated how none of the forms were as fun as basic link's. i also hated how i had to transform only for a couple seconds and then transform back. also, a lot of people say the story is deeper than OoT's. not really. it's still your basic "beat the temples and then the bad guy" story. i fail to see how it's deeper just because of a couple unimportant NPCs

overall, MM was still a good game. yet i think OoT is WAY better, tying with for chrono trigger for my favorite game of all time

wow, did someone REALLY just deRep me for my opinion and call me ignorant? this thread is called OoT vs. MM. i think i' have the right to give my opinion on which is better without being insulted

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I agree, Vembers. You can't be called ignorant for stating an opinion, especially because an opinion is never fact, and you can only belittle someone for stating false facts (otherwise known as lies?).

Regarding the topic, I find that OoT just has that little bit of edge as being first, already stated in my first post. MM has the upper edge on interactivity with regards to sidequests and characters, but OoT's story really is what spawned MM.

S

Sgt Pepper

Hi, I'm new here, but I'd like to give my $.02 on the debate. I think people are confusing a good game with an important game. There is a difference. Some games like Super Mario 64 are more important games than good games. Super Mario 64 set the standard for platformer games and used an ingenious camera system. Another game that's more important than good is Doom. Doom really set standard for first person shooters in general. I think many of the great games of all time are great more because of their role in video gaming as a whole rather than the game being just good.

An example of a just plain good game is GTA IV. GTA had been around for a while as did the whole sandbox genre, but GTA IV was just a freaking amazing game. There wasn't much originality in GTA IV but Rockstar took the original formula and fed it steroids. Another example is Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. I think Super Mario Galaxy is more important than it is good yet Super Mario Galaxy 2 was just plain good. In fact, some reviews don't give Super Mario Galaxy 2 perfect scores because it didn't have the originality and significance the original Super Mario Galaxy had. And I feel Mario Galaxy's score was inflated due to the sheer originality of the whole "Mario in space" concept. My point is that sometimes games get such high ratings because they did something important and significant rather than something well. And many a time a game of the same genre with a similar plot and gameplay comes out a year later on the same console and gets a lower score even though it had better gameplay, graphics, music etc. because it didn't have the impact the original game had.

I think OoT is a more important game than a good game. Zelda OoT took the Zelda series and made one heck of a leap into a huge, beautiful 3D world with amazing controls, music, and gameplay. The Z targeting system was ingenious, the vast world with tons of dungeons was unheard of (at least for the N64), and the harmony of everything that makes an adventure game; gameplay, music, graphics, controls, storyline, sidequests, etc. was fantastically exquisite and nearly perfect. Though MM's 3 day time system was original, it was too specific to MM for it to be revolutionary for video games as a whole and was too hit-or-miss in regards to gamers liking the concept to have the impact the universally acclaimed Zelda OoT had.

Though I feel OoT is fantastic and one of the greatest games of all time, I think people confuse its being important as it being good. I personally feel MM is the superior game. It was emotional, beautiful, fun, challenging, gloomy (I mean that as a quality), and has a heart and soul of its own. Though MM had fewer dungeons, getting to the dungeons is as puzzling, frustrating, and lengthy as the dungeons themselves. MM sucked you into the story rather than having you follow it. MM to me is a love-hate game. You either love it or hate it. Some people hate the 3 day time system and the frustration it brings yet some people are entranced by it and in love with it. Some people hate the fact there are fewer dungeons yet some people love the tough challenge it is to get there as well as the far more challenging dungeons than what OoT had to offer. And some people just prefer linear games over ones you have to kind of figure out on your own. OoT is far more linear than MM and some people prefer being told where to go (for the most part) rather than having to piece things out themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I think both games are fantastic and belong in the handful of games considered the best of all time, but I give a slight edge to MM, mainly because of its story. It's not as much that the dungeons were huge, challenging, and lengthy. It's not as much the improved graphics, new songs, and vast new overworlds that are Termina and Clocktown. And it's not even the fact it's so original with its 3 day time system. I think MM's story is outright touching and tear-jerking while at the same time being dark and thrilling. OoT is the generic "Evil villain takes over X and you're the last hope to you to stop him/her." MM is the story of how sadness, loneliness, love, courage, loyalty and friendship can conquer the very soul of a character. MM isn't about good vs. evil, it's about the importance of love and friendship in all of our lives. MM executes that perfectly and turns a simple video game into a heart-throbbing, exhilarating adventure that can take over you for days at a time. It's very rare to find games with such deep, personable stories and that alone is why MM is the superior game to OoT. Oh, and Skullkid is the invaluable friend MM is referring to for those who don't know or aren't sure.

And again, I think many of you are confusing important games with good games. Many of the responses have said "OoT is better because it's the first 3D Zelda" or something along those lines, but that isn't the question. The question is which game is better. Or had this been about which is a better Zelda game then OoT would definitely be the answer. But this is about which game is better and I think the components (the 3-day system, the story, the dark and gloomy environment, etc.) all work in perfect harmony to make MM the superior game.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Sonicbowling

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!!!
Majora's Mask is my personal favorite. At first I really hated it because of the time cycle, but after forcing myself to play it I actually started to enjoy it. And it didn't take too long for it grow on me and become my favorite game of all time. Some of the things that I think make this game so special to me would be the mask system and the time cycle. The Mask system was just pure genius, it had everything you wanted whether is was to sneak past enemies, transform into different creatures, or annihilate bosses, Majora's Mask had it. It's sad that other Zelda games have not implemented this feature in a very unique way that Majora's Mask did. The Time Cycle is very unique, no other game has such a well thought out central plot structure as Majora's Mask did. A lot people complain about it, but once you start playing it you'll find ways to aid you in minimizing time wastage and it'll seem too easy to an extent.

Ocarina of Time is an amazing game, but it falls short of Majora's Mask IMO. I still recommend OoT as the first Zelda game every new Zelda person should play as it is the very core of Zelda. But I still Majora's Mask is better because it was so unique and well done.

navi_the_fairy

Spirit of the Forest
I like MM better. The characters are better developed and I love the deep emotions that are shown throughout the game when the people begin to realize their impending doom. This game is much darker than most of the others I've played, but for some reason I think that makes me like it even more. It just has a great amount of depth to it. Don't get me wrong, OoT is an amazing game and I love it as well, I just like MM more.

S

Sgt Pepper

I think it would be an interesting concept if Nintendo made a Majora's Revenge or something like that with a mask system where you can use the Wiimote to use the masks. Like if you had the Goron mask, rolling would be turning the Wiimote like turning a crank in Resident Evil 4, things like that. It might make an interesting game if Nintendo can implement the Wiimote properly.

Bunny Hood

Everyone's Favorite Mask
I think it would be an interesting concept if Nintendo made a Majora's Revenge or something like that with a mask system where you can use the Wiimote to use the masks. Like if you had the Goron mask, rolling would be turning the Wiimote like turning a crank in Resident Evil 4, things like that.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!:xd::xd::xd:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom