• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask

Which one?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
T

Tatlfaerie

MM is my favorite, though I love OoT as well. I loved how you had the masks that do different things. Bunny Hood was awesome. :)

This is a difficult, Both OoT and MM have there Merit's and Downsides but OoT's Merit's are enough to push in front for me, There are several reasons for this:

Firstly the major reason that OoT wins for me, Ocarina of Time has over twice the amount of Temple's that Majora's Mask does, And unfortunatly for MM, I would prefer a game to be longer with Temples, Not Sidequests. In my opinion the Temples in OoT for the most part are far superior to those of Majora's Mask.

Secondly being that even though I like doing Sidequests are fun I find that to 100% OoT it is just about right with the sidequests and I found them all quite enjoyable, Much unlike Majora's Mask where you had to wait until the right time on a certain day to do a Sidequest, I started to find them very tedious to do and they did start sucking the fun out of the idea of attempting to complete the game 100%. It gets very annoying how they are all time orientated, It makes it to long a wait and tbh I was playing through a new file and it took me 2 hours to get very little complete in that compared to what I can do in a Zelda game like TP in 2 hours. With TP I can already have the game around 15% of the game complete, In MM I got about 4% complete which was ridiculously boring for the most part.

Thirdly is that I prefer Ganondorf and Ganon a lot more than the 3 Masks from MM, Even though they are fun to fight and a rest from the usual final boss of Zelda, Ganon from OoT in my opinion is the most epic of all Ganon's out of Zelda that I have played against.

Fourthly, Also I find that the Mini-bosses and Bosses are a lot better in OoT when compared to MM, Not to mention overall there is about 10-11 more than MM in OoT, The hardest boss fight I have come across so far on first try is also in OoT, That being Bongo Bongo, It took me a while to figure out how to beat him, The ones from MM, It didn't really take me that long to work out what I had to do. Also the hardest overall boss for me is in OoT being DarkLink since he is the only boss in any Zelda where I find he stays just as hard for each run through I do and fight him.

MM does have a lot of strong things going for it but none of them are enough to over power those 4 reasons why I like OoT more. MM has got all the masks but tbh I prefer being able to use Tunic's for longer than there is in MM.

If in MM there was an easy to make time pass by faster where I could do more in 2 real hours then it would be less tedious to complete, So my heart for the moment with OoT out of the 2.

G

Glipsprog

if you properly learn how to manage time in your favor, you'll see the true beauty of the time system.
The Inverted Song of Time and the Double Song of Time make wonders, believe me.
You should really give another chance to this gem

Perhaps I'll have to then. :) Though maybe a guide would do me good my first run through... Just so I don't get to frustrated. :P Haha...

It is in VC for 1000 points correct?

V

Volvox

I voted for Ocarina of Time. It was a great game, and I love how it switched between young Link and adult Link.

I didn't like the three days thing in MM...

E

Enraikou

I play the 2 games, but OoT is better because of the temples, the story, etc
But MM has the masks and that is a good point in the game.

Shadow Wolfo

Darkest Wolfo There Is!
I honestly like how MM has more side quest than temples. It enjoyable and its like all the sub quest in one is like one huge temple room by room.

OoT is the best hands down. it introduced many of new features. and it was the game that introduced the lock on feature. Majoras mask isnt even on the same level as Ocarina of Time.

R

rohr2

OoT is the best hands down. it introduced many of new features. and it was the game that introduced the lock on feature. Majoras mask isnt even on the same level as Ocarina of Time.
This is actually a good argument. You used something that isn't "Duuhhh First 3D Zelda game". But your last statement made you look like a troll. IMO Majora's is BETTER than Ocarina of Time. Majora's had a bevy of sidequests. I LOVE sidequests. Especially if they are nice and long but are well worth it(read:Kafei and anju quest). Less dungeons means better and longer puzzles. Stone Tower Temple was the best temple. Although flipping the temple gave me headaches. Even though Ocarina introduced those features, Majora's refined those features to near-perfection. I also loved the change in story. Usually the story in zelda games is 1. Bad guy threatens a place, 2. Gods chose lone orphan to do battle with bad guy, 3. Lone orphan gets power to beat bad guy, 4. Lone Orphan and Bad guy do battle and lone orphan wins. It's the LttP syndrome. Ocarina of time is basically LttP with time travel.

This is actually a good argument. You used something that isn't "Duuhhh First 3D Zelda game". But your last statement made you look like a troll. IMO Majora's is BETTER than Ocarina of Time. Majora's had a bevy of sidequests. I LOVE sidequests. Especially if they are nice and long but are well worth it(read:Kafei and anju quest). Less dungeons means better and longer puzzles. Stone Tower Temple was the best temple. Although flipping the temple gave me headaches. Even though Ocarina introduced those features, Majora's refined those features to near-perfection. I also loved the change in story. Usually the story in zelda games is 1. Bad guy threatens a place, 2. Gods chose lone orphan to do battle with bad guy, 3. Lone orphan gets power to beat bad guy, 4. Lone Orphan and Bad guy do battle and lone orphan wins. It's the LttP syndrome. Ocarina of time is basically LttP with time travel.

I have to disagree, The sidequests in Majora's Mask are good get boring after a while of continuously doing them over and over and over, Also the bosses are too easy with the exception of Gyorg being quite difficult. They are fun to do though and last longer, Even though that is mainly because you have to stand and wait for a while since the bosses have periods of time of doing nothing.

Also Majora's Mask took too long to do everything, It takes a couple minutes just to save the game seeing as you have to get back to Clock Town so you can store any rupees you have picked up, Also you then have to go collect several items to do anything. Like getting Arrows, Bombs and so on.

Also it more element's to it than other Zelda's, Travelling through time between Child Link and Adult Link, Also the many items you could find. The bosses of this game where far better than Majora's Mask even though they do usually last for a shorter time but a few take even longer, Like Volvagia takes a while to kill. With having over 2 times the amount of Temples that Majora's Mask makes Majora's Mask look small.

Don't get me wrong, It was fresh, It was dark (which I like), Fierce Diety Link was cool, All the different Masks were cool (well, The transforming masks were anyway). Quite a few of the sidequests are very fun to do as well, Even though there is a few to many for my liking. Majora's Mask is one of my favourite games and it was greatly underrated by OoT, But the reason it was underrated was because it failed to even continue OoT's greatness, Nevermind surpass it.

Sorry if I sound like I am attacking your opinion, I don't mean to be attacking it, I am contrasting my own to yours.

Ocarina of time is basically LttP with time travel.

Personally, I think this is a common belief that isn't true. There are plenty of differences that no one ever really takes to notice because they want to label OoT as a ALttP rehash so quickly. If it's the collect-three-items at the beginning that alone makes you think that, I'd like you to turn your attention to the beloved WW, which did the same exact thing. If the items featured in OoT are what makes you think it's a ALttP rehash, I'd like to turn your attention to every single 3D Zelda game that's been created so far. Are they ALttP rehashes too? Then you get to a two world scenario. Yeah, OoT shares that with ALttP of course, but it's presented in an entirely different way and perspective. You'd have to really be trying to rip OoT apart if you're going to say it was exactly like ALttP's two world system. Yay, now we're at the awakening of the sages. Again, turn your attention to WW, which featured awakening sages as well. I don't think WW is an ALttP rehash, so why should OoT be one? You could go on to the Master Sword after the collect-three-items ordeal, but, once again, I would point to WW: Same. Exact. Thing. Except, for some reason, the Master Sword had lost its power (still seems like a stupid idea to me). Yes, they are similarities, but OoT is far from being ALttP with time travel.

A

Alexei123

I like Ocarina of Time more. Parce que... OoT was the first one I played (which is not a very good reason), but I also feel there's more to do in OoT, not just temples but side quests and stuff? And unlike Josh, I like lots of shorter, easier dungeons, probably because I always want to get out of them and do the side quests.
I really like MM, but I find having to go back in time annoying (then again you do that in OoT). But also there was only one real town, Clock Town. I don't like feeling isolated in Hyrule. Hehe! :D

L

link&zelda

The legend of zelda ocarina's mask?

My opintion is ocarina of time because there are more harder chalenges and more temples then majora's mask.Come on people it's only 4 temples in majoras mask
:(

L

Lonewolf92

I think OoT was a by far better game. I think that it had better music, gameplay, fit with the storyline much better, and was an all aroud AWESOME game. I just finished playing it! but now i am sad, cause one thing MM did have that OoT does not have, is the ability to Re-Fight bosses. I really loved fighting Twinrova, and wanted to do it again, but, since i dont have an emulator, or cheat engine, i have to play the whole game over again, whereas in MM, i just ran to the temple, stepped in the light, and whooped some sorry boss butt!

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Here I come again the rebut statements.

Now in the matter of story I can say this is that MM has the much better storyline when it comes to the individual matters. Whereas OOT has the better story when it comes to the main plot. MM has all the sidequests which show you how the individuals are affected by the villain's prescence in Termina and how every person is suffering horribly.

Now in OOT, you don't see individual suffering much aside from the Zora's and Gorons who go back to being their fuddly duddly selves after the whole dragon thing ends. In truth, most people do not seem to complain or things like that about what the villain is doing much. However when it comes to the important event, OOT does a good job of making the story progress well and brings surprises.
Tie

Now in terms of gameplay you can not say OOT was better because it was the same thing as MM. You had the same moves Link has as both and adult and child. And in MM you have pretty much all of adult Link's weapons so what's the difference? The masks themselves are the expansion to OOT's very good gameplay and each one adds new to the mix so once again MM is quite dominant in terms of gameplay.

Now here's the thing everyone complains about MM is the time limit which is not a problem if you just learn to utilize it correctly. I can break the forest temple without getting the fairies before day 1 ends because I turn back the clock as soon as I get the song. I can clear Snowhead in 1 day and night. So the time limit is actually only a minor thing if you know how to work with it. Practice makes... near perfect.
MM

Now music is debatable since both OOT and MM's music differentiate in term of who they are targetting. OOT has music set for the spirit of adventure and wonder. It's meant to spurr you into going on and that is the good part of it because each temple has music that is great.

MM's music is based on emotion, destruction, and life. The songs are mostly slow for the most part and each one tries to emenate the feeling of the area you are in. What is happening in that area is the question and the music helps. The individual songs each have different emotions in them. The Song of Healing is basically sadness to become happiness as your troubles melt away. The Goron's lullaby is the love of a father singing a song to put his son to sleep.

Tie

MM and OOT are quite equal to each other but the problem is that they are each drastically different from one another, but MM is the superior counterpart. Course it all boils down to opinion at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom