• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Ocarina of Time. Twilight Princess

N

nostalgicrsfan@

:):):yes:Ocarina of Time . Did it influence Twilight Princess?

What my bro and I have noticed is the similarities between Twilight princess and the fabulous Ocarina of Time.
The way the dungeons look, deriving from the simple castle-cavelike style to even the fact that T.p. uses some of the songs from Ocarina.
But thats just my opinion...

Din Akera

Sniper
I think this is quite a broad statement. I would argue that all the games influence each other. Just like writers, musicians, and visual artists, the game designers learn as they go. THey make a game and see what works, what doesn't work, what was liked by the fans and what wasn't, etc, and then build off that new knowledge for the next game. So, did OoT influence TP? Of course it did. Just like WW influenced all the games that came after it, SS will be influenced by OoT, TP, WW, ST, and all the rest as well.

Some of the influences might be more or less apparent to us as players, but they are all there. Using the example of SS, from what we have seen it is going to mix TP and WW's graphics and design with the cel-shading, 3D, older Link. But the story might be similar to PH. We don't know yet, at least we don't really know yet.

On the issue of OoT and TP. I do agree though. I see the similarities you have mentioned, but I don't think they are overly significant. I think the use of the songs was for nostalgia sake, and fan appeasement. With the dungeons, again, I see your comparison, but TP was a dark and gritty game, more so than OoT with a large sense of realism. THough this is largely due to advancement in graphics, I don't think they were meant to mirror each other. But OoT was one of the favorite games of all time, so TP took one portion of that, dungeon appearance and experimented with that. Lots of fans were unhappy with the dark graphics, and now we see the reprocussions of that response with SS.

The dungeons themselves are all very similar throughout the games in terms of their patterns. All video games follow patterns of function and mindset for the player. Most of the time this is dependent on the genre. Most adventure games have the same patterns, as most shooter games have the same patterns. This is why game players fall into liking or disliking one genre over another. Depending on how one individual thinks, it may be easier or more challenging to play a game mentally, based on the game's patterns of function. All the games in the Zelda series are the same genre (obviously, lol) and are are modeled on the same basic patterns. THis makes all the dungeons very similar in playthrough. Some fans like that other do not, they want a new challenge.

And I'm feeling like I'm starting to ramble, so to wrap it up, I would say that yes, TP was influenced by OoT, but it was also influenced by all the other games that came before it.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
This is the way I think of it. A Link to the Past influenced Ocarina of Time. OoT influenced Twilight Princess. TP influenced Spirit Tracks combining it with elements from PH. So yes, to some degree, I do think it influenced TP

dumb180

Warrior Postman
The graphical style is certainly similar, and to me, the game feels a lot like Ocarina of Time. However, Twilight Princess has its own set of tricks. Gameplay-wise, I can think of quite a few differences.

Keep in mind that Twilight Princess is supposed to take place not terribly long after Ocarina of Time. The graphical style, and even the layout of the dungeons, are probably influenced by the buildings that were there before them. Who knows? Perhaps some are the same buildings simply redesigned. The Forest Temple certainly feels like it has a similar layout in both games (though it appears to have been overrun by monkeys in TP).

The location of the dungeon in Gerudo Mesa (the name of which I forget) appears to be on the location of a rundown Spirit Temple. They're likely drawing a few graphical parallels on purpose to make you think: "Ooh. Ocarina of Time reference!" This is seen not just in dungeons, but all throughout the overworld. You can even spot a few similarities with Alttp if you pay close attention. :)

As for going from room to room, finding keys and items and advancing through: This goes all the way back to LoZ. It's just how Zelda works, and it will likely always be that way.

Swordbomb

Doktor Assisted Homicide
OoT could have influenced Tp,OoT did influenced WW because if you hear closley at the song in dragon roost cavern you will hear the dodongo's cavern song

Djinn

and Tonic
I think it was modeled after OoT not as a direct influence but a return to a style that worked in the past. OoT has since become the defining Zelda title for Nintendo which has shaped how all later titles would be modeled. From setting, to storyline and gameplay. But the direct sequels Majoras Mask and Wind Waker, while successful were still not quite as successful as OoT. And they both received poor reviews from fans who still preferred OoT to either of those.

So it is likely that Nintendo wanted to try again and make another game similar to OoT with more realistic graphics. Bring back Epona, Hyrule Field, Ganondorf, Princess Zelda, a constant companion for Link, the Gorons, Zora, and all the other aspects of OoT that fans loved so much. But with updated graphics. Basically a departure from Wind Waker which did turn a lot of fans off. (I still liked the game though) Now due to it's many similarities fans began calling TP a remake of OoT, or simply uninspired.

I've always said that TP is more of a remake of ALttP than anything else with the concept of the light and dark world. Therefore it is easy to compare several games to TP because ALttP is kind of the basis of the modern zelda games. As for OOT influencing the music of TP, I think that a lot of games were responsible for that with the different songs in the howling stones and obviously the main zelda theme in hyrule field. If this was truly OOT inspired they would have redone the Hyrule field music and that is something that even Nintendo wouldn't do.

I've always said that TP is more of a remake of ALttP than anything else with the concept of the light and dark world. Therefore it is easy to compare several games to TP because ALttP is kind of the basis of the modern zelda games. As for OOT influencing the music of TP, I think that a lot of games were responsible for that with the different songs in the howling stones and obviously the main zelda theme in hyrule field. If this was truly OOT inspired they would have redone the Hyrule field music and that is something that even Nintendo wouldn't do.

I feel oot is more of a remake of lttp.
Ocarina copied the two worlds idea.
Then when you complete the levels in oot the maidens are in crystals like lttp.
Ocarina for me is the true sequel to lttp.

ikilltoonlink

ಠ_ಠ mr. Observant
agreed they look a lot alike! they wanted to keep the same kind of style but also make a new game. Tp is what Oot would have looked like but they didn't have the ability to make that a reality. I wish they would have that would have made Oot a better game but it still is the best! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom