• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Randomizer

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
hey everyone

So I’ve been playing through the ocarina of time randomizer lately and I was wondering if anyone else has given this a try? It’s a lot of fun as it gives you a new perspective on this classic game and forces you to play it totally differently. There are many streams of this on twitch and lets plays of it on YouTube for those who are curious but ill give a brief overview of how it works here for those of you who want to know:

The randomizer is downloadable and allows you to patch over the 1.0 rom of OoT, generating a seed which can be played in an emulator (they recommend retroarch and advise against project64 but I have seen people use P64 with no problem. Personally I have found mupend64 works the best especially as someone who doesn’t have a lot of emulator experience). What it does is randomize the location of all items and songs. It also changes which dungeon yields which spiritual stone or medallion. So for example you could find the water medallion in dodongos cavern and the Kokiri emerald in spirit temple. You can have the forest open from the start so you can leave, you can become an adult right away if need be, and there are a few other choices too. If you need more insight on how to do all the above google is your friend.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you tried or/ do you want to? And if you have or are playing it, how are you getting on so far?

I found nothing but rupees and heart pieces in Kokiri forest, with the magic metre found in the first half of the Great Deku tree. Unable to complete the tree without the slingshot, I got the lens of truth from Dampes digging game, a few more other things scattered around, which gave me a bottle, Dins Fire and Farores Wind. Still no sword or projectiles or explosives as a child (you get the master sword automatically as an adult) so lots I can’t access. My first dungeon ended up being Bottom of the Well, which so far yielded the Gorons Bracelet, Adult Wallet And a Deku stick capacity upgrade (I used sticks to fight dead hand but he only gave me a blue rupee). I can’t open every chest without bombs but I’ve completed as much as I can in there. I got zeldas lullaby (thank god because not having this can cause a lot of difficulty), sarias song and eponas song though none of these were found in their usual locations. I got nocturne of shadow from the windmill and song of storms from sacred forest meadow as an adult. I think my next step will be to grab epona and finish dodongos cavern (now I have Gorons bracelet I can at least use bomb flowers) which I’ll probably do as an adult because it’s easier.

EDIT: I don’t want to get in trouble in some way for condoning the use of emulators so I just want to point out I do actually own the game for both N64 and the 3DS. Don’t steal things kids ;)

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I've been meaning to play more OoT romhacks, but I need a controller for my computer first. I tried playing Super Ocarina 64 on mouse and keyboard and that was terrible
Also: own OoT for Gamecube

Beauts

I've been meaning to play more OoT romhacks, but I need a controller for my computer first. I tried playing Super Ocarina 64 on mouse and keyboard and that was terrible
Also: own OoT for Gamecube

I ordered a N64 controller with usb connection for like £10 and it works okay, but I know a lot of people doing the OoT randomizer are also using ps4 or xbox 360 controllers so if you have either of those it might work?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I think it's bloody awesome, played a few seeds and failed miserably. Mostly cuz i can't fluidly plan for randomizers. I do like the idea especially where you can literally do things backwards such as adult spirit temple before young.

Beauts

I think it's bloody awesome, played a few seeds and failed miserably. Mostly cuz i can't fluidly plan for randomizers. I do like the idea especially where you can literally do things backwards such as adult spirit temple before young.

Yeah, I'm failing. I got the silver gauntlets but I can't get to the spirit temple. I can do gerudo fortress and possibly one or two rooms of the training ground but the logic would dictate this is silly because I have none of the items for it, but I'm running out of ideas!

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Yeah, I'm failing. I got the silver gauntlets but I can't get to the spirit temple. I can do gerudo fortress and possibly one or two rooms of the training ground but the logic would dictate this is silly because I have none of the items for it, but I'm running out of ideas!

As silly as it sound work on collecting songs first, i've found that if you've got as many warp songs as you can get yer gold that and zelda's lullaby. Also sometimes the logic wants you to glitch the game

Beauts

As silly as it sound work on collecting songs first, i've found that if you've got as many warp songs as you can get yer gold that and zelda's lullaby. Also sometimes the logic wants you to glitch the game

I couldn't collect any more songs where I was stuck. I couldn't access the Bolero of Fire cutscene because I didn't have the hookshot or the song to get me to the platform you need to be on (also no bombs). Minuet of Forest was the only one I could get, which gave me Song of Storms. I was seriously in a jam. You can't get the song from the Nocturne of Shadow slot until you collect a certain medallion I believe (not sure which one). Could potentially go for requiem of spirit but with no hookshot, you can't traverse the haunted wasteland even if you're skilled enough to beat the fortress without the bow or hookshot (I'm not that good a player lol, I can't stealth past the guards). It was a do-over. I've started a new seed now, so far it's been interesting. Gorons bracelet and bombchus right off the bat, and bombchus, then the tree gave me the slingshot in it's vanilla slot. I also got both the hookshot and longshot, so I could complete Deku Tree, Dodongo's Cavern, and start at least two or three of the adult dungeons right off the bat. Much better run so far but it's all gonna depend on what songs I get given. I've decided to try and follow the game logic as tight as possible to try and strategize.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I couldn't collect any more songs where I was stuck. I couldn't access the Bolero of Fire cutscene because I didn't have the hookshot or the song to get me to the platform you need to be on (also no bombs). Minuet of Forest was the only one I could get, which gave me Song of Storms. I was seriously in a jam. You can't get the song from the Nocturne of Shadow slot until you collect a certain medallion I believe (not sure which one). Could potentially go for requiem of spirit but with no hookshot, you can't traverse the haunted wasteland even if you're skilled enough to beat the fortress without the bow or hookshot (I'm not that good a player lol, I can't stealth past the guards). It was a do-over. I've started a new seed now, so far it's been interesting. Gorons bracelet and bombchus right off the bat, and bombchus, then the tree gave me the slingshot in it's vanilla slot. I also got both the hookshot and longshot, so I could complete Deku Tree, Dodongo's Cavern, and start at least two or three of the adult dungeons right off the bat. Much better run so far but it's all gonna depend on what songs I get given. I've decided to try and follow the game logic as tight as possible to try and strategize.

Wasn't a complete do over, you had access to well bottom, the first dungeon. I would say Dodongos but honestly the braclet is BS. The worst part of the randomizer is you don't realize just how much you gotta rely on those songs.

Also Light arrows are locked behind Spirit and Shadow Medallions, Forest Medallion is need for prelude of light and Water for Nocturne. Fire and Light medallions literally serve no purpose ^^. I know someone whose entire run was killed because they needed the letter in a bottle and it was locked in Ganon's Castle behind needing the hover boots and fire arrows (Where golden gaunts are) They managed to get the hover boots in Deku tree but never found the fire arrows he had a look at the cheat sheet in the end when he gave in and he required Zelda's Lullaby which was locked behind Forest medallion which in turn was locked behind dodongo's Cavern, bombs were locked in jabu's belly and he'd expended all his bombchus.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I did do it, got a bad seed the goron's bracelet, both gauntlets and Din's fire are in a chest I can't access, and I need the gauntlets to do Ganon's tower so I had to generate a new seed, won't work in my emulator though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom