• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Ocarina of Time "Mirror Shield"

Which Design is better?

• Old Version

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • New Version

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

mewtwolord

Hello World
awwwww i like the one from Majoras Mask but i have to go with the old one it ownz the new one kool when it absorbs the fire and ice

MOS3

Agent Of Chaos
I read somewhere that the changes made to OoT were not only to its GC version, but later N64 cartridges. So those who have the earlier OoT cartridges have a piece of videogame history in their hands. Now, to the changes. I believe its not only the symbol (I prefer the old one better), but also the music from the Fire temple (something to do with it being similar to an islamic song or something, so they decided to change it). The most absurd change IMO, is ganon's blood going from red in the original version to green in the new one. I mean c'mon, we're not in the snes days when they would remove blood from Mortal Kombat. Even Mortal Kombat II has blood!!1..and lots of it btw. So ganon bleeding red for like...3 seconds is wrong??....ridiculous

Last edited:

bellum

Gamer since age 2
well that cresent moon and star thing is kinda dumb fighting over something like that nintendo probably wouldn't do anything like that but I personallt like the old design more the moon kinda reminds me more of a mirror for some reason just so shineeeeee*bellum passes out*

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I like the old one better, more mystical and enchanting to me. Like truly drowning yourself in a mirror.

You know they also changed the blood from when Link slashes Ganon's face three times from red to green.

bellum

Gamer since age 2
I like the old one better, more mystical and enchanting to me. Like truly drowning yourself in a mirror.

You know they also changed the blood from when Link slashes Ganon's face three times from red to green.
yes I do know that but what does that have to do with anything

the old version reminds me of a mirror the moon looks so shiny and I dont know the new version is just wierd ot me but I dont know why they'd change it but it may be about what Onilink said about the muslim sign is the cresent moon and the star

S

stalfo7

Definitely the old version of the Mirror Shield is what I like. Overall scheme outside of the script design is identical, but I always liked the symbols on the old shield. Changing the symbols not only on the Mirror Shield, but on other items such as moving blocks, did not seem very necessary to me. But who am I to complain? I didnt take the time to make it, I just played it ;)

H

Hammer Bro. Mike

I like the old one but the new one is good as well. It doesn't bother me but sometimes when I'm using the Mirror Shield on GCN/Wii, it kinda annoys me sometimes because I think I'm gunna see the old symbol.

Bob Majinki

Deku Director
I read somewhere that the changes made to OoT were not only to its GC version, but later N64 cartridges. So those who have the earlier OoT cartridges have a piece of videogame history in their hands. Now, to the changes. I believe its not only the symbol (I prefer the old one better), but also the music from the Fire temple (something to do with it being similar to an islamic song or something, so they decided to change it). The most absurd change IMO, is ganon's blood going from red in the original version to green in the new one. I mean c'mon, we're not in the snes days when they would remove blood from Mortal Kombat. Even Mortal Kombat II has blood!!1..and lots of it btw. So ganon bleeding red for like...3 seconds is wrong??....ridiculous

I can explain this actually.

The original Mirror Shield had the Islamic crescent symbol on it. You can see this on the flags of Turkey, Tunisia, and other Muslim countries. That wasn't the main thing that was changed, but rather the Fire Temple music. Basically, the Fire Temple original music had multiple Islamic versions in it such as "La'illaha ellaha Allah" and "Allahu Akbar" (I'm doing my best to romanize Arabic, forgive me)

The Muslims who played the game asked kindly for Nintendo to change it, because the Fire Temple represented hell, and saying God's name in hell generally doesn't bode too well. Nintendo was respectful of their culture and made that change, as well as other changes, to the later versions.

What surprises me most is that the Japanese actually had legit Islamic verses, I honestly thought that most Japanese were ignorant of any culture close to Arabia; I suppose not.

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
I like the old version better, because I'm used to it. Though, in aspects of design, I like the symmetry of the newer one. It seems a bit sloppily done, though.

S

skynet136

this just proves america tries to be the "perfect" contry. that is one reason(the new design). second reason is we changes B.C.(before crist) to B.C.E. (before common time)

oldmirrorshield.jpg

Maybe it is just because of nostalgia, since this is the one I am used to see him with the reason I like him more. I always found it cool. Not saying the other one doesn't look nice, but I think the Moon shape fits better there... xD

A

Avia Rayne

about the new logo (gc version) after i saw it looked really familiar but i could not figure out why. its as if i seen that logo before somewhere. if somebody knows that please tell me.

I think I know where you saw it before: I'm pretty sure Vernan from OoA has that symbol on her dress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom