• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Link and Zelda are siblings?!

Twins?

• Yes, they are at least siblings, if not twins.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Some other relation (hear me out in the comments).

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Nope, no relation.

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
I just came across this theory. It suggests that Link and Zelda, in Ocarina of Time are siblings, probably twins. The evidence I have collected so far is how similar their models are, their age, how Impa teaches Link songs that are only meant for the royal family, the composer brothers commenting on how similar the two are, both having profetic dreams, and Link's mother having a horse (suggesting at least a high class).

I do have some reservations about this. There wasn't even a whisper of a long lost royal child. Also, while I can see Link abnegating royal titles in search of the glory he quested for, the shade never mentioned any such connection. His death armor definitely doesn't look royal. And, if he never did find out, there are quite a few people who would absolutely know, but are keeping it a secret.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I don't think so. We get very few details about Link's origin in OoT. Heck, I don't actually remember if the detail about his mother fleeing to the forest is a thing mentioned in game or if it was conceived by the manga. Either way I don't think there's a connection.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I don't think there's anything concrete enough to come to that conclusion, a lost heir seems like something at least 1 NPC or shiekah stone would have mentioned somewhere, so this is a no

also if they were twins, no doubt the deku tree or someone would have alluded to the hylian woman [link's mom] who died in kokiri forest being the queen of hyrule

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I don't think there's anything concrete enough to come to that conclusion, a lost heir seems like something at least 1 NPC or shiekah stone would have mentioned somewhere, so this is a no

also if they were twins, no doubt the deku tree or someone would have alluded to the hylian woman [link's mom] who died in kokiri forest being the queen of hyrule
Well, the Deku Tree did lie about Link's origins for the first ten years of his life. Maybe the GDT is just a prick. :eyes:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
well he was rebirthed as a mildly less prick as the deku tree sprout, which in turn is where we learn about link's mom, probably would've been a good time as any to mention that was actually the queen
Maybe he didn't know? Maybe hiding your identity runs in the royal family.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I've seen this theory before, I dislike it because it has nothing at all going for it.

It's clear that the intention for the in-game story was not to imply that Link's mother was the Queen of Hyrule. There is no mention of it from any material where the devs talked about the story. Plus if they were really trying to convey that his mother is the Queen, it should have came up in the dialogue eventually. I wouldn't even call this a theory since it's grasping at straws. It seems more like something out of a fan fiction.

That aside, if there is any theorizing to dig out of the topic of Link's mother, it's whether she was a higher class at all, or just a normal Hylian. If we are taking into consideration the manga, Link's father was the highest ranked soldier of Castle Town, which means they were probably considered honorary royality.

However, Link doesn't really need to be of royal lineage for it to be ok for him to learn secrets of the royal family from Impa. He has to be taught the secrets out of necessity because he is destined to be the only one who can fight Ganondorf. Sometimes rules just have to be broken when everyone's lives depend on it.

I'm not opposed to speculation about this, but if it were relevant or significant enough then it would have probably been hinted at in some capacity. Lost royal heir never learning his birthright is certainly a thing that could occur in a story, but is it as tragic as it ought to be if the story in question never even conveys his identity as a royal heir even to the player?

I've seen this theory before, I dislike it because it has nothing at all going for it.

It's clear that the intention for the in-game story was not to imply that Link's mother was the Queen of Hyrule. There is no mention of it from any material where the devs talked about the story. Plus if they were really trying to convey that his mother is the Queen, it should have came up in the dialogue eventually. I wouldn't even call this a theory since it's grasping at straws. It seems more like something out of a fan fiction.

That aside, if there is any theorizing to dig out of the topic of Link's mother, it's whether she was a higher class at all, or just a normal Hylian. If we are taking into consideration the manga, Link's father was the highest ranked soldier of Castle Town, which means they were probably considered honorary royality.

However, Link doesn't really need to be of royal lineage for it to be ok for him to learn secrets of the royal family from Impa. He has to be taught the secrets out of necessity because he is destined to be the only one who can fight Ganondorf. Sometimes rules just have to be broken when everyone's lives depend on it.

Sounds like you have many of the problems with the idea that I had. I do like your alternate thought about Link's father being a high ranked soldier. There is a common theme through the franchise of link being in the military, or related to military, of some kind or another. Even in Skyward Sword, he was part of an academy for knights.

I'm not opposed to speculation about this, but if it were relevant or significant enough then it would have probably been hinted at in some capacity. Lost royal heir never learning his birthright is certainly a thing that could occur in a story, but is it as tragic as it ought to be if the story in question never even conveys his identity as a royal heir even to the player?

This, to me, is the biggest smoking gun against the theory.

I dont think OOT Link and Zelda are Brothers but i could see that Link Mother was working in Hyrule Royal Family maybe as a servant or something maybe thats how she met Link Father who according to an Old Comic he was a Knight of Hyrule Royal Family

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
It could work if Link is a relative that makes him a fifth cousin of Zelda, and the queen was barren and gave birth to Zelda at the same time as Link.

The issue is why is he in Kakori village? Well The Chronicles of Narnia: The Horse and His Boy has two brothers seperated at birth, one lives like a prince, the other a pauper. Is it possible Ganondorf was looking for The Hero of Time and they hid Link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom