• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Has a Bit TOO Much Influence

geek4887

The Unknown
I think that sometimes Ocarina of Time's influence halts the epicness and originality of a new Zelda game. Let's take Twilight Princess for example. In my opinion, this is the best Zelda game, but to others, they see an Ocarina of Time remake. In both games, TWW and TP, there's a bit of OoT in them. Even MM who was a direct sequel was different and had less influence of OoT other than graphics. To me, it seems like Nintendo can't let go of giving up OoT's influence in their new zelda games, which makes them lack originality. That said, I still would like them to implement some really good ideas of old games to their new ones. I just don't like it when they always use OoT as their reference on which ideas to implement to the series. Every Zelda game had a good thing in them, so why not use those instead of repeatedly using OoTs?

I'm sorry, I just had the thought. Look at Wind Waker, it talks about the Hero of Time. Twilight Princess talks about the Hero who used the tunic. There's a bit much of reference to Ocarina of Time. I know they did this because OoT was their crown jewel, and that of the timeline placement. They use sages in both games, too(although this originated from ALttP).

So, I guess I let all of that out. But yeah, do you think Nintendo should decrease the influence of OoT on their new games, or is it just right, or maybe they should add more? Please share! :)

The reason they mention the Hero of Time alot was because he was one of the first heroes and he is part of history. So when another hero comes along they will mention past heroes. It doesn't bother me to much because OOT is a great game, it created the style of game play we see today in modern games.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
It wasn't OoT that influenced every game, dude. Hate to burst your bubble on this. When you see an OoT remake, you actually see an A Link to the Past remake, remake. Ocarina of Time takes the formula of ALttP, repackages it, adds trading sidequest from LA, and voila! An instant Zelda classic!

The formula you see, which originated in ALttP:
1. Begin the game with a worthless sword.
2. Obtain three objects that should defeat the villain.
3. Three objects fail to defeat villain.
4. Obtain Master Sword.
5. Learn of Ganondorf. (doesn't apply to OoT. you already knew of Ganondorf. TWW was just Ganon)
6. Obtain more objects to help defeat villain.
7. Face villain.
8. Kill villain, only to find that Ganon is the true mastermind (doesn't apply to OoT and TWW)
9. Enter Ganon's Tower
10. Kill Ganon.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I am tied between OOT and TP for my favourite zelda games, and the reason I cant say TP is my absolute favourite is because Ocarina of time did better in some ways. OOT had alot more amusing characters such as the windmill man and the man running around market town saying ''im late I'm late for a very important date''(Im sure that guy's a theif by the way) Also the difficulty of OOT made it seem more rewarding to complete. So I want more of those elements in future games.

You seem to be more on about story though and how they reference OOT all the time. I would like them to make a sequel to TP in which the imprisoning war happened. Most of OOT did not happen in the child timeline so OOT can't be referenced allot. TP and ALTTP instead would be the reference points.

If you read some bits and pieces from the most recent interview from GameInformer, you will see that the developers at Nintendo actually have identified this as a problem, and that they have tried to change it when making Skyward Sword.

Eiji Aonuma said:
Some of the fun we had back then was lost in the creation of later games. The problem is that when you do something once in a game like Ocarina of Time, when you make the next game it becomes expected that all of that is there. You end up spending a lot of time creating all these elements of the game just to meet expectations. (My goal with Skyward Sword is to) take the franchise into new places.

[...]

We’ve been talking a lot about how we’re trying to make this Zelda game feel new and different, but there will come a point in the game where you’ll still get that final feeling that this is still a Zelda game.

Last edited:

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Yeah, I also believe that OoT seems to have too much influence especially for the recent games. And like you said, they could very well use the influence from other games like what they did with PH. I would really like to see something get more influenced with SS for their next game(s). Now I don't want them to get rid of OoT's influence completely, but definitely less.

I agree I think all Zelda games since have been heavily influenced by Ocarina.. but Nintendo does the same thing with Mario 64.. I think it was their real first "modern" games that really worked so they stick to the formula.

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Ocarina of Time set the stage for all 3D Zelda titles, as it was the initial release as one. But every game has its own atmosphere and theme which differentiates everyone of them. No matter how much TP might be compared to OoT, many and most respects of the games are different. Even with Wind Waker, where we get to explore Hyrule Castle in greater detail, you see a changed world. But I don't think you mean the atmospheres appear identical; you likeliest refer to the mechanics. In this I have to say Zelda is pretty much the same, especially in the sense of how all the Dungeons/Temples are laid out--explore, find a new item (Yay!), and utilize it to defeat the Boss.

Regardless, Skyward Sword will change the formula drastically--and with it the entire structure which has molded the series into what it is. The immersion will be deeper due to the modified gameplay, the enemies more strategical, yet it'll still be the same experience on the surface. Ocarina of Time introduced the mechanics which immortalized this famed franchise; Skyward Sword will take it a step further.

MW7

I would definitely agree with you that the Zelda series should experiment more (but nothing crazy). I think a significant reason why I can't respect TP is that it follows the "3 of something, something happens, then you go after something else" standard set by ALTTP and carried on by OOT. At least they tried to do something different with the wolf aspect of the game though.

But yeah branching out from the standard of OOT could lead to great things. Look at MM, the greatest game ever, it was nothing like OOT... Oh wait, they had the same character models, gameplay, much of the same items, and even the same Link. But if you can get past all that, then the games are polar opposites. I'm not even sure what point I'm trying to make anymore.

I do agree that all the references to OOT do get annoying after awhile though. I for one suggest that all Zelda fans refuse to buy another game until Nintendo makes a game with tons of references to.. it doesn't matter so let's go with LA. What an underrated game.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
I would definitely agree with you that the Zelda series should experiment more (but nothing crazy). I think a significant reason why I can't respect TP is that it follows the "3 of something, something happens, then you go after something else" standard set by ALTTP and carried on by OOT. At least they tried to do something different with the wolf aspect of the game though.

But yeah branching out from the standard of OOT could lead to great things. Look at MM, the greatest game ever, it was nothing like OOT... Oh wait, they had the same character models, gameplay, much of the same items, and even the same Link. But if you can get past all that, then the games are polar opposites. I'm not even sure what point I'm trying to make anymore.

I do agree that all the references to OOT do get annoying after awhile though. I for one suggest that all Zelda fans refuse to buy another game until Nintendo makes a game with tons of references to.. it doesn't matter so let's go with LA. What an underrated game.

It is a very underrated game. Ever played the Oracles? Minish Cap? PH and ST? All were inspired in the first place by the gameplay and plot of LA. I'm honestly starting to get tired of references to obviously awesome games. Can we get a game with obscure references that us older Zelda gamers would get?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nintendo pretty much stated that they felt a restriction after OoT was released - you know how that game is amazingly awesome to most people? Well, Nintendo wants to replicate that awesomeness without fully replicating the game. That's why TP failed as a Zelda game to most people. That's why TWW still has the supposed OoT [really it is ALttP] formula. But, that is also the reason why Skyward Sword is so different – it's the first time Nintendo has done anything relatively different with a Zelda game, and thus with SS they may not so afraid to do different things with the series anymore.

Small note, Ganon *is* Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom