• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Ocarina of Time Ending Confusion

T

themaker97

I've played through Ocarina of Time multiple times and one thing that has never been clear to me is how it ends the way it does.
I don't know if this has been posted before, I didn't see it when I looked but i could've just missed it.

So the problem I have with it is that if Link is sealed in the Temple of Time for seven years then saves Hyrule from Ganondorf, how is young Link able to just leave and go on a new quest at the end of the game? If Link leaves that means he never was sealed in the Temple of Time for seven years and never defeated Ganondorf as an adult, meaning that Hyrule would still in danger of Ganondorf. Is it just that there are multiple timelines created or is it the same timeline and I'm just missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
If I recall correctly, young Link tells Zelda what Ganondorf was planning to do and that leads into Twilight Princess.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
Have you heard of Hyrule Historia? Yeah, that thing can help you out.

Anyways, Link is sent back for a reason. He was sent to warn Zelda about Ganondorf and to have him brought to justice for his crimes and stuff.

Now, go play Twilight Princess to figure out the rest. I'm too lazy to type anything else.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
If I recall correctly, young Link tells Zelda what Ganondorf was planning to do and that leads into Twilight Princess.
^

As you see after all the credits are over, Link goes and visits Zelda as a child and tells her of the future that's going to come. Ganondorf is later executed by the Sages, as seen in the backstory of Twilight Princess. Hyrule Historia also says that Link leaves in order to prevent Ganondorf from ever entering the Sacred Realm; Zelda gives Link the Ocarina of Time and he takes it with him to Termina so Ganondorf can't ever get one of the keys to opening the Door of Time.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
My question is... if the King didn't believe Zelda before... why would he now even if some kid a green tunic from the forest showed up to back up the story?

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
My question is... if the King didn't believe Zelda before... why would he now even if some kid a green tunic from the forest showed up to back up the story?

I constantly ask this. I've yet to find a legit reason and just leave it as a plot hole.

he has the triforce of courage,which i would assume would sorta add to his credibility

The Triforce of courage was given to Link when Ganondorf touched it and it shattered into three. Considering this is a time where Ganondorf never touched it, its not right to assume this version of Link had the triforce of Courage. And even if Link did have the triforce of Courage, that doesn't add much credibility. If your daughter holds one of Hyrule's most powerful magic inside her and you don't believe her when she says she has a prophetic dream, than you most likely won't believe the Random forest kid even if he has a triforce.

As others have said, the timeline diverges from OoT. :3 MM follows the timeline you described which then leads into TP.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Yes. At the end of OOT, there is a timeline split. Zelda sent Link back in time after the triumph over Ganondorf so he could relive the 7 years she stole from him, and also so he could prevent Ganondorf from ever attacking. In the future, there is no more Link to save Hyrule when Ganon attacks, so The Wind Waker happens. In the past, Link gets sent to before he met Zelda for the first time, and he warns her about Ganondorf's attack. This leads into Ganondorf's attempted execution in Twilight Princess. there are two different continuities at the end of OOT. (There is a 3rd split, but it's irrelevant to this particular thread topic)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
There are two additional timelines created, resulting in three, feel free to look at the official timeline yourself.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
The Triforce of courage was given to Link when Ganondorf touched it and it shattered into three. Considering this is a time where Ganondorf never touched it, its not right to assume this version of Link had the triforce of Courage. And even if Link did have the triforce of Courage, that doesn't add much credibility. If your daughter holds one of Hyrule's most powerful magic inside her and you don't believe her when she says she has a prophetic dream, than you most likely won't believe the Random forest kid even if he has a triforce.
You can see it on the back of his hand in the ending. He definitely still has it. Also remember that Ganondorf clearly had his Triforce when he was about to be executed, so it's not that much of a stretch to assume that Link would have his.

But I'm not so sure the king DID listen to Zelda the second time around. HH kind of makes me think he didn't. It says this:

In Hyrule, Princess Zelda was informed of what would happen in the future by Link, the Hero of Time. She realized that leaving Ganondorf to his own devices would cause the downfall of her kingdom.

Many years later, Ganondorf, the infamous demon thief who wielded the power of magic, was finally to be executed.

Many years later could possibly mean that Ganondorf was only executed when Zelda came to power later on. It's more likely that because Link left with the ocarina, Ganondorf never made it into the Sacred Realm and his plans never came to fruition. Then when Zelda became the ruler of Hyrule, she was able to order the execution. Or Ganondorf did something more obvious that made the king finally believe his true allegiance, but without getting into the Sacred Realm he couldn't take over Hyrule like he had previously. As HH says, Link returning from the future bearing the Triforce of Courage made it so that Ganondorf was unable to consolidate the omnipotent power of the Triforce within himself.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The Triforce only found its way to Link because the land needed a hero when an imbalance occurred (Ganon gaining the ToP). So yes this is a rather odd inconsistency.

However, I think it can be explained. Hyrule Historia states that Link's hand shone with the Triforce of Courage, thus he had proof. I like to think that The Triforce isn't so much a physical object but instead something spiritual that one must have the right virtues to be a candidate. You don't need to actually have the Triforce, in its physical form, to have a piece and that's why I think it's much more of a spiritual power. Though there needs to be a reason for the Triforce to split as it's meant to be complete. The whole reason it splits is probably a defence mechanism in order to prevent evil from having complete power over the relic itself. Or its simply so it creates a balance of power.

The thing is, the Triforce wasn't split when Link went back into his own time, so why did he have it? Well, Link already had it, spiritually, as proof that he was the hero during his adult quest. Though he leaves with it, which causes a problem. Now he can't take the Triforce of Courage physically, but instead spiritually. So he still has the right virtues, and the spirit of the hero, so it probably causes the Triforce to split by accident. We know it splits because of the "divine prank" in Twilight Princess. The reason Ganondorf got the Triforce of Power was because there was an imbalance: Link had the Triforce of Courage so the other pieces needed to find their respectable owners.

Anyway, I think it's perfectly understandable that Link and Princess Zelda were able to prove Ganondorf’s evil intentions. Link could prove he was the hero (via his hand) and actually tell what happened in the future. Remember that Princess Zelda visions were a dream and not reality. Also, Link could probably prove that Ganondorf was behind the Deku Tree's death and the other goings on in Hyrule.

Last edited:
Once Link goes back in time he still has the Triforce of Courage - due to this, Ganondorf gets the Triforce of Power as a side-effect. I believe this is the "divine prank" the Sages mentioned in Twilight Princess.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs

dude right at the end,the triforce is glowing on the back of link's hand,and im sure even the king isn't stubborn enough to refuse two similar stories from two triforce carriers

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
I'm inclined to believe Zelda and Link couldn't prove to the King that Ganondorf was no good, because Zelda sends Link off with the Ocarina because that was the only way to ensure Ganondorf couldn't get in the sacred realm even if he wrestled the spiritual stones out of the Gorons and the Zora. The fact that the sages look entirely different from the six that Link dealt with in OoT I think is also telling that it was much later when they could finally trap Ganondorf and attempt to execute him.

As for Link having the triforce on his had when he went back to see Zelda, I'm sure the Triforce moves differently in time than normal people do. It knows what Link did, even if it was in a different time line. Which would explain why Link's descendant in TP already had it and protected him from the Twilight Realm. His predecessor passed it down the line. Also Zelda had hers in that game to, which she used to help Midna, and didn't it activate when Ganondorf was executed? I'm having a hard time remembering? I think the triforce had already left the sacred realm in the CT, but it didn't turn into a repeat of the AT because One, Ganondorf had no way of knowing he already possessed the ToP, and two, he was sealed in the Twilight Realm by the time he could have figured it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom