• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Deathless Minimalist Run

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Hello friends!

I was just stopping by to post a quick thread about a challenge I'm doing on my Ocarina of Time 3D game. As you may have gathered by the thread title, I'm running through the game using the minimal amount of items (no extra bottles, shields besides the mirror shield etc.) without dying. If I die I restart the game.

I'm currently about to start the Bottom of the Well in Kakriko village, having just completed the Water Temple. So far it's been a pretty smooth ride (although the Stalfos in the Forest Temple did manage to give me a bit of a scare). Anyhoo, I wanted to post this up and get some input from you all. Anybody else tried doing this? It's actually pretty fun.

Linkmaster30000

Aim for the knee
I've done it and rather enjoyed it. OoT only got scary for this on the final two boss fights, because one hit and you're basically toast.

I actually made a Zeldathon out of it back in February 2010. AoL became "No Game Overs" because "Deathless" was too insane, but the others weren't too bad. LttP was rough because of the magic you need against Trinexx in Turtle Rock.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I've done it and rather enjoyed it. OoT only got scary for this on the final two boss fights, because one hit and you're basically toast.

I actually made a Zeldathon out of it back in February 2010. AoL became "No Game Overs" because "Deathless" was too insane, but the others weren't too bad. LttP was rough because of the magic you need against Trinexx in Turtle Rock.

Turtles rock was the endgame on many of my early deathless runs, OOT isn't Too bad providing you can kill the stals fast enough but combining it with minimalist is fun i won't deny it, tough but fun. Try an MQ Deathless Minimalist after ^^ you'll have tons of fun

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Hello friends!

I was just stopping by to post a quick thread about a challenge I'm doing on my Ocarina of Time 3D game. As you may have gathered by the thread title, I'm running through the game using the minimal amount of items (no extra bottles, shields besides the mirror shield etc.) without dying. If I die I restart the game.

I'm currently about to start the Bottom of the Well in Kakriko village, having just completed the Water Temple. So far it's been a pretty smooth ride (although the Stalfos in the Forest Temple did manage to give me a bit of a scare). Anyhoo, I wanted to post this up and get some input from you all. Anybody else tried doing this? It's actually pretty fun.

I've never done any type of "run" in Zelda games. I'm curious as to exactly what you are and aren't allowed to get in your run. Do you collect heart pieces, for example?

Trinexx is tough, but getting rid of the ice head first makes it doable.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I've never done any type of "run" in Zelda games. I'm curious as to exactly what you are and aren't allowed to get in your run. Do you collect heart pieces, for example?

Trinexx is tough, but getting rid of the ice head first makes it doable.

Minimalist: No upgrades, no heart containers, no collectibles, no equipment upgrades. Only things that are Mandatory, IE: master sword, Deku Shield, Bracelet Diving Scale.

It kinda is amusing as most players who aren't aiming to have a full upgrade sack such as bombs or stick are already doing a partial minimalist run ^^

As far as i Know Runs for OOT encompass, deathless, 3 Heart, 100%, Minimalist, speedrun. Fairly sure there are more, But most people are guaranteed a death on Ganon if they do 3 Hearts deathless runs just for the fact he hits for aloooot.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Minimalist: No upgrades, no heart containers, no collectibles, no equipment upgrades. Only things that are Mandatory, IE: master sword, Deku Shield, Bracelet Diving Scale.

It kinda is amusing as most players who aren't aiming to have a full upgrade sack such as bombs or stick are already doing a partial minimalist run ^^

As far as i Know Runs for OOT encompass, deathless, 3 Heart, 100%, Minimalist, speedrun. Fairly sure there are more, But most people are guaranteed a death on Ganon if they do 3 Hearts deathless runs just for the fact he hits for aloooot.

Yeah, I was thinking that if you're going to do a 3 Heart run on OoT, you had better be really good, because I can't picture not getting hit by Ganon at least once. Truthfully, a lot more than once. I've never done a 100% OoT run, though. I always miss a few pieces of heart here and there. I have enough that I don't struggle through the game.

Zelda games that I've 100% are Wind Waker, LoZ, and LttP. Most other games I do what I need to survive lol.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Yeah, I was thinking that if you're going to do a 3 Heart run on OoT, you had better be really good, because I can't picture not getting hit by Ganon at least once. Truthfully, a lot more than once. I've never done a 100% OoT run, though. I always miss a few pieces of heart here and there. I have enough that I don't struggle through the game.

Zelda games that I've 100% are Wind Waker, LoZ, and LttP. Most other games I do what I need to survive lol.

I've personally done MQ on 3 Hearts minimalist run and i am not joking when i say goddamn those damned stalfos they hit for more damage and are an insta death in a 3 heart run, thankfully it wasn't a deathless run ^^ 24 fairies in the end i used for that run, you need to be really good at zelda to perform 3 heart runs in conjunction with minimalist especially if you end up doing it on Hero Mode in the newer games.

MM is pretty brutal for 3 heart runs due to how much damage the bosses can inflict in short periods of time if you aren't careful and in the remake you do run the chance of running out of time on Twinmold in normal play in 3 Heart runs i'd imagine it'd be down to literally the wire.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava

Being held back by that damned battleships minigame on windfall currently ^^, in all honesty the games aren't hard to 100% providing you notice everything it's going for a minimalist run that's difficult (at least for me) due to the habit of gathering the upgrades and heart containers. Many a minimalist 3 heart run has ended to me accidentally getting a boss container.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Being held back by that damned battleships minigame on windfall currently ^^, in all honesty the games aren't hard to 100% providing you notice everything it's going for a minimalist run that's difficult (at least for me) due to the habit of gathering the upgrades and heart containers. Many a minimalist 3 heart run has ended to me accidentally getting a boss container.

That game can be really brutal. There really isn't any skill involved. You can try to be a good guesser, but it's all just that: guessing and fortune. I was fortunate in my latest run, and I was able to get it only on my second try.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
That game can be really brutal. There really isn't any skill involved. You can try to be a good guesser, but it's all just that: guessing and fortune. I was fortunate in my latest run, and I was able to get it only on my second try.

Love WindWaker it's just something in that game seem to have a ridiculous thing going, like hitting Cyclos in his hurricane, you aim directly at him you miss you aim maybe a fraction lower and boom hit. Really weird.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
OoT: If you're not sure of yourself, practise on beating Ganondorf. You can replay the final battle endlessly if you got a previous saved game. He is actually a push over if you know what to do. I can beat him without getting hit one single time. So if you manage to beat him without getting hit, OoT minimalist shouldn't be a problem at all.

The only thing is most people don't really do everything, well, minimalist. Most minimalists runs I've seen of, let's say, ALBW, allow you to use weathervanes to warp and stuff, but doesn't that kind of contract from the minimalist part? Sure, it's hard as balls, but who said a challenge was every supposed to be easy?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
The only thing is most people don't really do everything, well, minimalist. Most minimalists runs I've seen of, let's say, ALBW, allow you to use weathervanes to warp and stuff, but doesn't that kind of contract from the minimalist part? Sure, it's hard as balls, but who said a challenge was every supposed to be easy?

Warping kinda is forced on you but it's up to the player to get the warp points which would detract from the entire thing as i think you actually are given ONE vane in the Light World at the beginning.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
In ALBW you have no choice than accept the Vane in the beginning. Otherwise you can't even continue the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom