• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time completed in eight and a half minutes

Here's a video explaining it.

The old records werewrong warping from Ghoma to Ganon's castle.
The new technique discovered is a credits warp done from Kokori forest. Similar to the Super Mario World credits warp. Both are done using Arbitry code execution.

The initial discovery of the OOT credits warp was a 15 minute run but better techniques and more glitch discoveries brought it down to 8 minutes 30.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
This is absolutely bizarre. When Torje was at AGDQ destroying the game in 17 minutes I was like 'that's it. done. You can't go faster.'

Speedrunners always gets the last laugh.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
Man, it is absolutely insane to me that, just 21 years after it was released, new ways of breaking OoT and beating it even faster are still being found. It's definitely interesting to see, and I'm definitely curious if this will end up being the fastest way to beat the game, or if there's somehow yet another faster way that hasn't been discovered yet.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
They seem to discover more and more glitches to beat the game faster and faster. I wonder how long before this record will be broken. Personally I don't really care about speedrunnings but it's fun to see

What exactly makes the glitch controversial?

The definition of beating the game.

Is beating the final boss the end of the game?
Or is skipping that entirely and just warping to the credits also classified as beating the game?

The controversy is two fold.
1. What is the completion of a game
2. Should a game be beaten as fast as possible even if all the fun is sucked out of the game to complete a run?

Fun is important because without the runs being fun enough to garner an audience, the game dies from a speedrunning point of view.

This is why different categories exist. So the fastest possible exists as well as pretty fast but really fun to watch.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The definition of beating the game.

Is beating the final boss the end of the game?
Or is skipping that entirely and just warping to the credits also classified as beating the game?

The controversy is two fold.
1. What is the completion of a game
2. Should a game be beaten as fast as possible even if all the fun is sucked out of the game to complete a run?

Fun is important because without the runs being fun enough to garner an audience, the game dies from a speedrunning point of view.

This is why different categories exist. So the fastest possible exists as well as pretty fast but really fun to watch.

Speedrunning is about reaching the end of the game quickly. The point of speedrunning isn't a casual playthrough, nor is it to entertain people watching it. Entertainment is just a side-effect of it..

Last edited:
Speedrunning is about reaching the end of the game quickly. The point of speedrunning isn't a casual playthrough, nor is it to entertain people watching it. Entertainment is just a side-effect of it..
That's the exact thing that the controversy is about. Games that have really fast but really boring speedruns die. They get less popular to the point where no one wants to speed run them anymore. The solution to this is different categories for each game. So the slower but more entertaining categories exist and the fastest but not as interesting category exists as well.

[edit] The current world record #1 goldeneye player Karl Jobst also shares this opinion that really fast but really boring speedruns need to exist but in separate categories to slightly slower but way more interesting to watch and more interesting to grind speedruns.

Watch the video I posted above from 13:20 to the end and you'll understand better. Karl explains it really well.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Last I heard the record was 10 minutes only a week ago with potential for it to be shaved further down. They will likely continute trying to do it faster until an average time range is stalled at, and that will be the new Any% World Record for OoT unless a new breakthrough is discovered. From what I heard though, this is probably the last impactful glitch that will be found in OoT towards speedrunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom