• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Ocarina of time "Classic"?

should "Ocarina of time" be conciderd as a classic game?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
now this may seem a dumb and simple topic but i think its something worthy to discuss about.

now we all now what classic games are right?
now here to the next question: "should Ocarina of time be conciderd as a classic game?"

Now "A link to the past" thats a classic, but is oot already rated as classic or is it too early for that. i know its the first 3d zelda game with a huge stroyline and all, but im not sure if it is a classic game. The game was released in november 1998 thats almost 10 years.

so what do you guys think about this.
is OOT a classic or not? please also give your opinions about it.
Because my opinion is between yes and no, so I want to know what other people thinks about this.

Last edited:

linkman8

True and Noble
I think it should be. I mean it was one of the most popular games of its time, and was one of the most epic games on the N64. Given time, it'll probably be considered a classic game.

I say the game needs about a decade to become a true classic. But actually in this case, since OoT was being developed since 1995, I would now state it as a classic.

I never thought a game's "classic" status was necessarily dependent on how many years it's been out. Katamari Damacy is definitely a classic to me, though it's much newer than Ocarina of Time. I'd even consider Portal to have plenty of classic-worthy attributes. And come on, isn't ten years plenty of time for a game to be considered classic? That's probably more than half of the lives of most of the people on this forum. :p

Ocarina of Time was an amazing game that really made 3D gameplay work in a console environment, told a great story that has pretty much become the basis of all Zelda games to follow, and set a standard for the whole gaming industry. If that's not a classic, I don't know what is.

F

firebunnies123

How could Oot not be classic? it is one of the most well known zelda games. For me a video game's age doesn't consider it classic. (sorta) Its the game its self. ocarina of time just has the feel of the previous zelda games. Majora's mask is a different story though.

I never thought a game's "classic" status was necessarily dependent on how many years it's been out. Katamari Damacy is definitely a classic to me, though it's much newer than Ocarina of Time. I'd even consider Portal to have plenty of classic-worthy attributes. And come on, isn't ten years plenty of time for a game to be considered classic? That's probably more than half of the lives of most of the people on this forum. :p

Ocarina of Time was an amazing game that really made 3D gameplay work in a console environment, told a great story that has pretty much become the basis of all Zelda games to follow, and set a standard for the whole gaming industry. If that's not a classic, I don't know what is.

Maybe cuz OoT didnt actually set the standard for Zelda games, when it was obviously the first three (namely ALttP) that did. Plus the ten years comes from the music genre if you even know anything about that.

Mehplep

Simply awesome
I agree some with Avenged here, the three first games were the ones that really made the structure for "Zelda". OoT was just a continuation of the concept created in ALttP. But, OoT added some serious new graphics, and launched the whole franchise into 3D. And considering how many 3D-Zeldagames there are, OoT surely is a classic for the 3D-Zelda.

Maybe cuz OoT didnt actually set the standard for Zelda games, when it was obviously the first three (namely ALttP) that did. Plus the ten years comes from the music genre if you even know anything about that.

While the first three games certainly set most of the precedent of standard Zelda gameplay, Ocarina of Time was a trendsetter for all modern games of its genre. Z-targeting alone (or whatever button we hold for lock-on nowadays, it seems to change all the time) was used by several other N64 and GameCube titles, because it was a simple and effective means to navigate in a three-dimensional setting. Link to the Past may have had a compelling story, but OoT had a compelling story that was told much more effectively, with a better interaction with in-game characters and beautiful cutscenes.

Yes, I do know a thing or two about the idea behind music being rendered 'classic', but those standards would not seem to have any bearing on this discussion. Truth be told, I feel like the 'classic' label is meaningless anyway. I'll enjoy a game based on its merits, not how old it is. Something has to be good in addition to being not-new for it to be considered 'classic' by any reasonable observer. I doubt anyone thinks Wall Street Kid is a classic. ^__^

G

Ganonflakes

Definitly. It sold so well as well. Also, I think any game that has been voted best selling game of the year has to be worthy of the title 'classic'

S

Stan

*blinks*

Its long since left "Classic" status in the dust. Its now in the "Legend" status, as zeypherlink pointed out.

I agree with Mike, OOT has long passed classic! When it came out that set the standard of how good future Zelda titles should be. :clap:

I'd say it has to be a classic because plenty of the current zelda fans started with OoT (not to mention it's an epic/awesome/very fun/puzzling in some parts game.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom