• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Ocarina of time "Classic"?

should "Ocarina of time" be conciderd as a classic game?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
K

Kintenbo

Let's face it, most Legend of Zelda games are pretty much "Classics". You can't go wrong with them. When I first played Majora's Mask, I realized the awesomeness of the Legend of Zelda universe. Sure, I don't like it as much as Fire Emblem, but great games are great. Legend of Zelda qualifies as great.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
I thought N64 games were falling into a classic category now, it's been 10 years and the original LoZ was considered a classic and it came out in '89, right?

I'd say it's a classic game. Good quality given the time it came out, fun, hours of adventure, and it set the bar high.

P

Powerbracelet

It's definitely a classic, though I can't wait for 2010 so Majora's Mask can get this same debate!

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I certainly think of it as a classic. As someone had said, the definition of classic can slightly change for the individual. To me, there doesn't need a set time to be a 'classic', as I almost consider MM and even WW to be classic.
For me, the real classics are LoZ, AoL, and OoT.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I think at this point, Ocarina of Time is considered a classic. For me, being a gamer that started playing games far before the 3d standard was put in place, it is hard for me to consider anything that is NOT 2d... classic. Basically, the term classic is very arbitrary and will vary from one person to another.

Does a game have to lose 'modern' playability in order to be considered classic? Meaning, if a games mechanics are BETTER than what some games offer today, can that still be considered classic? To me, it would be still considered modern. If ONLY the graphics were 'slightly' upgraded, and Ocarina of Time was released right now in todays world, (meaning it never was released once before), then I think it would surely be one of the better titles to release for the Wii.

What I'm getting at, is that if a game is still up to par with modern play, than it's not considered classic...... However, I don't agree with this argument that I just made. I think playing Ocarina of Time nowadays is just a tad awkward. I don't think the controls are perfected like current days.

All in all, I don't think pure quality or age has to do with being a classic. It has... an arbitrary aspect to the game that makes it classic. For me, Ocarina of Time is a classic.

I myself would consider it a classic for a couple of reasons.

1. Truly from I have seen it is the most popular and loves Zelda Game since like forever. Whether it would be the classic of the Zelda Series or just a classic in general, well it would probably.....be....both....yeah.

2. Going also with the most popular and loved Zelda Game, is the kind of Fanboys. Now it some threads I've posted in recently you've heard me talk about the Ocarina of Time fanboy's and how they ruin Twilight Princess. Why is that? Well, most compare every new Zelda Game (not the 2d ones, mind you) but the 3D ones. I think it should a classic because of that too.

And that's all I can think of right now.

T

Thewindmaker

I personally would not call it a classic...

"yet".

The game is only 10 years old, and as Masses said the gameplay mechanics are still being used to this day. The only thing the game has that modern day games don't is the same quality Graphics. And even then it is still better then most of the free games you can get online.

It will one day be a classic, but right now I would only consider the Atari systems, Sega systems and the NES classics. Even SNES still has some games which are being released which are similiar in quality on the Nintendo DS. Castlevania comes to mind.

It will be a classic, but only once it has reached a prime age. 10 years isn't long enough yet.

R

Rebekah

I say the game needs about a decade to become a true classic. But actually in this case, since OoT was being developed since 1995, I would now state it as a classic.

its already almost a decade old >>

i would say it should be a classic... goldeneye is only 1 year older then OoT and it is a classic.. so why shouldnt OoT be?

Kybyrian

now this may seem a dumb and simple topic but i think its something worthy to discuss about.

now we all now what classic games are right?
now here to the next question: "should Ocarina of time be conciderd as a classic game?"

Now "A link to the past" thats a classic, but is oot already rated as classic or is it too early for that. i know its the first 3d zelda game with a huge stroyline and all, but im not sure if it is a classic game. The game was released in november 1998 thats almost 10 years.

so what do you guys think about this.
is OOT a classic or not? please also give your opinions about it.
Because my opinion is between yes and no, so I want to know what other people thinks about this.

Actually it was already 10 years old. So I don't know where you got that date from.

Also, I agree with Mases's statement. About how it's hard to consider anything not 2-Dimensional a classic.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Actually it was already 10 years old. So I don't know where you got that date from.

Also, I agree with Mases's statement. About how it's hard to consider anything not 2-Dimensional a classic.

lol. i just got the data from ZD itself.
well, lets see, its now 2008 and released at novermber 1998
so the reason that i said "almost" is because we are not in november 2008 yet.

Kybyrian

Like I said, Ocarina of Time turned 10 years old a long time ago, or are you misreading what I said? >_>

It was all over the place.

R

Rebekah

we mean release dates >>

october 28th is OoT 10th birthday?

and how can anything not 2D not be a classic? Doom and wolfenstein 3D are 3D... and they are classics >>

L

link67125

at this point it should be higher then a classic
it already won the gmae of the year award

Lots of games have won games of the year award, LIKE TWILIGHT PRINCESS! (<- This is sarcasm)

Now to change my opinion for some odd reason, no.

Ocarina would be only be a classic because we think it's that damn good of a game. Classic to me now seems like it's aged, lived through the years and still something really important. We might have to wait another 10 years and it can be immortalized like the Original LoZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom