• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Ocarina of Time:Best Game Ever?

D

DeepThought

So, was OoT the BEST game ever? or was it just because it was the first Zelda game in 3D? allot of gamers think there was much more,umm, intenseness in MM because of the dramatic deaths and then their bodies turning into masks, and also if LttP were in 3D or any other classic Zelda game would it be better? tell me what you think in the comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I think it was awarded the best game because it was the 1st 3-D game and I also to say I found MM to be more entraining.

I also think that if older such as ALttp and older ones were 3-D like OoT they would have been more popular during their time.

Alar

Clothed in Green
i think many people thought it was the best game ever was because for most people the first zelda game they played also it revolutionised 3d gaming so i think thats why.

Tael

Fairy
I think OoT is a very good game and it was the first Zelda game I played, but somehow I like MM a bit more than OoT.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
Personally, I prefer the dungeons of OoT and the characters of MM. They both tie in my mind, with each having what the other lacks. OoT's story is pretty good though. There's a lot going on outside of the text box. At least in my fanonical mind, there are some intense Sage deaths that occur.

If the world were graced with A Link to the Past in 3D style, I'd hope they add in a few sidequests or something. I prefer Alttp to any of 'em, but it wouldn't stack up well to the other 3D Zeldas with only the current in-game content.

Majora's Cat

How about that
In my opinion it is. I'm not just saying that because everyone else thinks so - I'm saying it because it's a very true fact. Ocarina of Time is widely revered as one of the greatest games of all time, if not the greatest. There have been numerous polls on the internet on credible sites like GameSpot and such that have chosen Ocarina of Time as number one.

But it's not just the gamers that have a say in this: critics do as well. Whenever there's a Top 10, Top 25, Top 100, just any list of the best gamers ever, you know OoT will take its rightful place as number one or somewhere near the top. It's hard not to find OoT as one of the highest spots on there. The question is why? Why do we all love Ocarina of Time so much? I think it's because it was such a brilliant game at the time of its release - Nintendo's first 3D Zelda game was a smashing success and completely eclipsed any success that Super Mario 64 had. There was no doubt in anyone's mind at the time that Ocarina of Time was the greatest game ever and would stay the greatest game ever for years to come.

The above statement has proved true. Ocarina of Time is the highest rated game of all time on most aggregate review score websites: GameRankings, Metacritic, etc. It used to be number one on MobyGames but now has a lower score than two games. OoT even holds the world record in Guinness Book of World Records as the highest-rated game of all time. But it's not up to critic scores - overall, it's up to the gamers. Us gamers have overwhelmingly decided that OoT is number one - the official Best. Game. Ever. 2009 poll on GameFAQs boiled down to two choices - Ocarina of Time or Final Fantasy VII. OoT eventually won (as it should) and took its rightful place as the winner of one of the largest polls on GameFAQs.

OoT was not just a video game - it was a revolution in the whole gaming industry. Once again, the Zelda series had changed the face of gaming, and that's thanks to Nintendo's greatest work of genius.

Flagpole

I'm back!!
Actually, deciding whether or not Ocarina of Time is the best game ever and the reasons as to why are pure personal things, as many people may actually hate the game. This doesn't includes me, or else I wouldn't be here on Zelda Dungeon.

If we base on critic's scores and on facts, Ocarina of Time is the best game ever in the videogaming industry, mainly because we can see thousands of millions of people reviewing this game and still giving it tens in almost every gaming page you can find. Gamespot and IGN are great examples of this, and we can also find it as the highest-rated game on websites like Gamerankings, which is a very popular gaming website.

Hundreds of polls and Top Games lists rank Ocarina of Time as the game best ever, which pretty much shows how great Ocarina of Time is to most people who have played this adventure of a game.

I also consider ocarina of Time as the greatest game ever, mainly by the fact that it has been receiving a lot of high scores even with more than ten years of it's release, which is something not every game can achieve, even though toda's standards are less harsher than before, but also gamers know less culture on videogames.

So, as stated above, my personal opinion of the game is that it is the greatest game ever, although it isn't my favorite game even if I found it epic.

Escohobita

King of Those Who Know
I'm gonna be one of those people that says yes, indeed it is. On my list of greatest games, it's tied with Final Fantasy VII. Even after playing through both games numerous times quite religiously, paying attention to minute (and large) details, I honestly can not choose between the two games. Yes, it is a tie. Here is my reasoning (warning: this will be quite lengthy)...

Gameplay: Gameplay for both games was fantastic. In OoT, Nintendo did a more than perfect job of transitioning from a 2D world to a 3D world. Same credit goes to Squaresoft in Final Fantasy VII. OoT made perfect use of the Z-targeting system and your item usage. FFVII had an excellent leveling system and magic (materia) system that was incredibly customizable and encouraged you to innovate. After careful review, both games score high in terms of gameplay

Story: I can't exactly nitpick with the story in a Legend of Zelda game, but nonetheless the story was quite engaging and I really did feel an emotional connection between the characters. Final Fantasy VII scores better in story imo, as the story had a very complex plot, with numerous subplots and extremely deep characters who each had their own trials and tribulations throughout the game. Because of the uniqueness and depth of the story in FFVII, that game gets the edge over story and plot. But like I said, when it comes to Zelda games I don't try to emphasize plot and even with that in mind you can still argue a great case with Ocarina of Time, even up to a story giant like Final Fantasy VII.

Gameworld: Both gameworlds were very fun. As I said earlier, both games made a more than perfect transition into 3D.Part of what made this transition so perfect was the fact that the worlds were so detailed. In Ocarina of Time, the world was indeed fun to navigate through (Gerudo Valley, Lake Hylia, and Kakariko/Death Mountain area come to mind), and the dungeons are very very memorable. In FFVII, the world is enormous with many locations you can travel to, with something to do in each location. If I were grading this on size and depth, FFVII would get the edge in terms of the gameworld, but since I'm rating it based on how well the world fits into the game and it's relationship with other aspects of the game, both games score even.

I could go on about other things that the games set standards in (like the fantastic soundtracks to both games, etc.) but I'm just gonna stop here before I become WAAAY too lengthy. In summary, Ocarina of Time is absolutely the greatest game of all time, but my position is that Final Fantasy VII is also so incredible that it basically ties up with Ocarina of Time in terms of greatness.

This isn't a decision I made lightly, either. I didn't just sit down one day and call it a tie in order to stop thinking about it...it resulted in a tie because I thought about every aspect of the game carefully after doing numerous runs in both games. Now I'm going to stop before I bore all of you to death.

tetrafan

Zelda Fan Girl
Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda but thats not the reason its my favourite. The Dungeons are the most fun and the music is amazing and the most enjoyable. The bosses are excellant. Ocarina is on my top 10 best Games ever! along with Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. Its a masterpiece!;)

Personally, OoT is not only my favorite installment in the Legend of Zelda Series, but it is my favorite game that I have ever played. Don't get me wrong, this does not mean that it is the best game ever. This is a completely opinion based question and no one can answer for anyone else. It was the first Zelda game that I played, and since this game I have loved the series to death, and have played all the games save Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks. They all have great replay value, and I have beaten every one I've played multiple times, but I always find myself playing OoT again and again and never getting bored. It's become somewhat of a reflex to beat the game I know it so well. The story, the gameplay, the side-quests, the score, the dialogue, the monsters/bosses, the dungeons, and everything else about this game all come together to make a wonderful experience that cannot be bested in my mind. I would have to say that although it may not be the best game of all time, I think it is a perfect game.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
In my opinion, OoT is overrated. There doesn't seem to be that much of a reason to call it the best game in the world. But, at the time, it was a drastic change, and excited people a lot, which caused it to be the best game. I'm sure if the game were rated by today's standards, it wouldn't be first anymore.

Yes OoT is a great game and it is the top of many game lists.
But if it where not in 3D would it still be so highly thought of.

A lot of games when they first come out are hailed as the best game ever.
Its near impossible to say a particular game is the greatest ever as there are so many types of games.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
For me two of the greatest ever games are LttP and Super Metroid.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
These two games are for me the best in their respective series as two of the best in gaming in general.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neither are amazing graphically but in terms of music, and how they made their respective series go from good to fantastic they are two of the best games ever.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
What i mean is the impact they had on their respective series.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
LttP gave us weapons we never had seen before.
It give us a light and dark world.
It gave us Sages for the first time.
It give us Kakariko village for the first time
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think saying if it wasn't 3D it wouldn't be as popular makes no sense whatsoever. It was designed to be 3D, no way could half the things you do in it be done if it wasn't. I don't think any of the temples, and most of the side quests could at all be done in 2D it would be a completely different game. It was designed to be in 3D. So saying that really makes little sense, and I don't see how it being the first 3D Zelda takes away from it in any way. Sorry I just think its silly to say it wouldn't be liked as much in 2D because the game wouldn't be anything alike if it were in 2D, it is a LOT more than just graphical differences were talking about which I think is implied when people say it. Anyways, of course it is objective, in my opinion it is the greatest game ever made and I think it still holds up today. It is truly a masterpiece. It is still all over Top 10 lists so I think most people at least consider it right up there but I agree with all the differences in games and preferences and genres it is hard to say anyone game is king

In my opinion, OoT is overrated. There doesn't seem to be that much of a reason to call it the best game in the world. But, at the time, it was a drastic change, and excited people a lot, which caused it to be the best game. I'm sure if the game were rated by today's standards, it wouldn't be first anymore.

You cannot rate any game from the past, let alone over a decade ago, by todays standards. That is a silly thing to say. It is about context, it is about what else was out there at the time. If you rate it by today's standards every single game before the modern generation of counsels would be buried at the bottom of the lists. You cannot rate a game made so long ago to today's standards you just can't. Now back to my own opinion I don't think OoT is overrated at all I remember when it came out and there was nothing else like it. It was amazing and at the time no game could touch it. It was very special and I still find amazingly fun to play to this day.

I love many Zelda titles that came out after it, I love WW and MM and TP and the like I think they are great games, but when rating a game I think it is important to look at the context and environment of gaming at the time of it's release.
In the end it is all opinion but I just think it's important to see it for the time and technology of that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom