• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Ocarina of Time 3D's Rating

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I just meant that Nintendo doesn't make Zelda for 30 year olds, maybe 7 to 20 in mind...

Yes, I understand this. I just meant that Nintendo should have something to appeal to AND satisfy all ages. I wonder if it's possible for them to include red blood like they did in the original N64 version and not take the heat from the unnecessarily strict video game rating system...

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
Azure Sage said:
You do have a point. I don't think Zelda should be rated M. But what you mentioned feeds into my theory that the video game rating system is too strict.
A little bit of red blood isn't going to get zelda an M rating. T maybe, but I highly doubt we'll ever see a M rated zelda game unless there's actual gore or swearing (unlikely).

Found this at Go Nintendo:

3dsz.jpg

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -

3dsz.jpg
True, although animated blood does not always mean regular blood, colored blood is pretty much certain.

My point exactly. This is exactly the point I was trying to get across here.
Still, as I said before, much of Zelda's fans are not teens yet. I know that some people under the age of 13 could handle this stuff, but many parents will strictly follow the ESRB's rating. Nintendo would lose quite a bit of their audience if they made a game that was originally suitable for most children now "unsuitable".

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
In my opinion, there should be red blood in this game.

I'm a little surprised that it won't be rated Teen, seeing as how there is animated blood and that is why Twilight Princess was rated Teen. Plus, OoT has some pretty suggestive themes in it, not to mention the Shadow Temple.

3dsz.jpg

Got some info from the ESRB website:

Animated Blood - Discolored and/or unrealistic depictions of blood

Fantasy Violence - Violent actions of a fantasy nature, involving human or non-human characters in situations easily distinguishable from real life

Suggestive Themes - Mild provocative references or materials

From the description of "Animated Blood" I would expect to see Ganon(dorf) coughing up green blood again... :(

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I just meant that Nintendo doesn't make Zelda for 30 year olds, maybe 7 to 20 in mind...

Zelda's made to appeal to all ages, actually.

Got some info from the ESRB website:

Animated Blood - Discolored and/or unrealistic depictions of blood

Fantasy Violence - Violent actions of a fantasy nature, involving human or non-human characters in situations easily distinguishable from real life

Suggestive Themes - Mild provocative references or materials

It has suggestive themes? Where? (If the Great Fairy doesn't count, that is.)

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
It has suggestive themes? Where? (If the Great Fairy doesn't count, that is.)
Well, you've got the Shadow Temple, which is practically covered in blood, the fact that Ganondorf coughs up blood (green or not, that's still creepy), The Bottom Of The Well with the creepy vibe and that Dead Hand thing, the Giant Statue in the Spirit Temple with the giant boobs you can Hookshot onto, and, like you said, the Great Fairy, well... you know... with the boobs...

I think Nintendo REALLY likes boobs or something. lol

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Is the colour of blood really that important? You see it... what? Three seconds or so at the end of the game? Whoop-de-doo. I couldn't care less about that. As long as they stay true to the original and don't stray away from it too much, then I'll be satisfied. I don't find it surprising that this game gets a higher rating, though. I mean, the same thing happened with TP (which was 12+ here in Europe) and even with the Collector's Edition (that one was 7+). In this day and age when a game gets an E rating it means that there's seriously no voilence in it. -_-

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Is the colour of blood really that important? You see it... what? Three seconds or so at the end of the game? Whoop-de-doo. I couldn't care less about that.

You do make a good point. However, I personally don't like it when the blood is colored green. It just seems unrealistic. I know that's sorta contradictory to the fact that it's a fantasy game, but still... I feel like I can get into a game more when there are more realistic features implemented. On top of that, green blood in this game looks like vomit, and that's just downright weird.

Yeah like in the new disney movie, Tangled, the main character blantantly gets stabbed. And the movie shows blood and everything and it's rated G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom