• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Ocarina of Time 3D is Developed by Greezo, is This a Good Decision?

Throught the announcement and development of Ocarina of Time 3D I took for granted that Nintendo's own EAD (their mayor development team) would be in charge of developing the title. It was not until recently that it was revealed that the ones responsible of their development is Greezo, a Japanese third party developer. Both Aounuma and Miyamoto have supervised their job carefully. After knowing this it made me wonder why did Nintendo decided to leave development of this game to a third party. Similar to Metriod Prime which was entrusted to Retro Studios, which was at its time a third party. Considering their success, it is likely that Ocarina 3D was supervised and guarded by the original developer to ensure that the new development team would take the care that the installment deserves. This makes me think though, if Nintendo made the right decition. As far as we know, Star Fox 64 and Kid Icarus are both are been developed by Nintendo's internal teams; which makes it intriguing why Nintendo did not gave this task to EAD -considering they were the original developers to begin with-, and instead Nintendo entrusted it to another company and decided to supervise it.*

The new Ocarina of Time screenshots looks great but they do not live to the standards of other 3DS games. This is the least relevant; many gamers that have tried the demo have confirmed it plays smoothly. Yet it makes me wonder why did they gave this task to Greezo. Was this the right decition? Ocarina is such a remarkable title to leave the development of its remake to a third party. There is a chance that the game could be even better than we expect and Greezo could end making and excellent installment. This could be similar to the outcome Metroid Prime had in hands of Retro Studios. (It also intrigues why did not they gave this task to Retro instead). There is less than two months to go until we can confirm wether this game will be as outstanding as we expect.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Throught the announcement and development of*Ocarina of Time 3D I took for granted that Nintendo's own EAD (their mayor development team) would be in charge of developing the title. It was not until recently that it was revealed that the ones responsible of their development is Greezo, a Japanese third party developer. Both Aounuma and Miyamoto have supervised their job carefully. After knowing this it made me wonder why did Nintendo decided to leave development of this game to a third party. Similar to Metriod Prime which was entrusted to Retro Studios, which was at its time a third party. Considering their success, it is likely that Ocarina 3D was supervised and guarded by the original developer to ensure that the new development team would take the care that the installment deserves. This makes me think though, if Nintendo made the right decition. As far as we know, Star Fox 64 and Kid Icarus are both are been developed by Nintendo's internal teams; which makes it intriguing why Nintendo did not gave this task to EAD -considering they were the original developers to begin with-, and instead Nintendo entrusted it to another company and decided to supervise it.*

The new Ocarina of Time screenshots looks great but they do not live to the standards of other 3DS games. This is the least relevant; many gamers that have tried the demo have confirmed it plays smoothly. Yet it makes me wonder why did they gave this task to Greezo. Was this the right decition? Ocarina is such a remarkable title to leave the development of its remake to a third party. There is a chance that the game could be even better than we expect and Greezo could end making and excellent installment. This could be similar to the outcome Metroid Prime had in hands of Retro Studios. (It also intrigues why did not they gave this task to Retro instead). There is less than two months to go until we can confirm wether this game will be as outstanding as we expect.*

Well I think this needs a little history lesson. Back in the 1980s, when the NES was the way to go. Nintendo basically cornered the market and had all third party developers on a limit to how much you could release on the NES or else you wouldn't get the so called, "Nintendo Seal of Quality." This scared a lot of third parties and was a ruthless tactic for keeping them in line. Though the Seal didn't mean much to consumers, it did place in the mind of developers. This continued for a long time, until the N64 era, when Nintendo was only starting to lose their power to the PS1.
Sony gave third parties almost unlimited freedom, and this attracted them by the droves, leading to the PS1's success, and the N64's near failure. Now, Nintendo is struggling to gain favor with a lot of developers that they had alienated back in the day. (Though they still limit a lot of success for them with the release of their really good 1st parties, which forces them to get a lot of 2nd.)
So this is probably why; they want third parties to trust them more, so they let them use their IPs and get the big bucks that come from those things.
It's just like how they let Team Ninja develop Metroid: Other M, though the success of that move is very questionable, or how they always give Star Fox to a third party after Star Fox 64.

Nicole

luke is my wife
I highly doubt that Nintendo would let a third-party developer ruin the most successful Zelda game in the franchise. As you mentioned, Aounuma and Miyamoto must be watching the production under a microscope (as the saying goes). Whatever changes are made must go through them first, a whole team of developers, and then the demo team before anything is determined. I also find it unlikely that Nintendo would allow for many dramatic changes to be made. Every little detail happens with their consent, otherwise the whole project would be suspended, no?

I think it's a suitable decision. Greezo can't mess up that badly with Nintendo watching them like hawks. Let's not forget that Nintendo is also busy with the production of another game, *coughSkywardSwordcough*, and gamers want these titles as quickly as possible. Handing the production of OoT 3D to another developer allows Nintendo to focus on SS, making the overall release faster.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
They are doing this with the 3DS remakes mainly so their own primary development teams can focus on entirely new games.... in addition to trying to regain third party favor as already stated.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

This is different from the situation with Metroid Prime. That was an entirely new game, meaning there was much more room to epicly screw it up, whereas Ocarina of Time 3D is a remake, so they already have an amazing game to pretty much copy and paste and improve the graphics (which is an improvement no matter who you are). It seems, at least from what we've seen, that they're steering well clear of any major change other than graphical improvement so as to ensure that it is by all accounts an improvement. Because of that, in addition to the fact that Nintendo is watching closely, I seriously doubt we have any need to fear anything going awry.

jugglaj91

I am me....
Well as I see it, it isn't a bad idea. The gameplay and story is pretty much all written out for them. All they need to do is write up all the code for the game, polish up the graphics, and map all the buttons. When it comes to something entirely new like Other M, that is where things can get disastrous. I am confident that even without Nintendos supervision that this game would still turn out alright. I believe the supervision was mainly for the added stuff that got cut from the original as to not mess up the main game in any way.

I doubt there's any need to worry. I'm sure that Nintendo is overseeing the development of the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time(one of there most popular games of all time)very closely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom