• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Ocarina 3D - The 3D is Not Standing Out (Literally)

This Thursdays Nintendo uploades several 3D trailers including one for Ocarina 3D. I was very intrigued to watch the 3D in action. After watching many trailers I notoced the 3D effect does not stand out and instead creates only a sense of deph into the screen. Not all of them but most only had the 3D into the screen. Ocarina was one of them, and although it makes sense for not everything to pop out the screen I found it rather unexpected for nearly all footage to seem inside the screen rather than comong out. Even the title screen seems to be carved in rather than coming out. I think only Luigi's Mansion actually had the ttle screen popping out. For those who have seen the trailer, have you noticed this? In certain scenes like when some bosses appear I would really like to see them coming out the screen rather than been enclosed inside it.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
This pop out effect is simply not possible in every game. You can't compare the 3DS to a modern 3D cinema. But also, the quality of the Trailer was very bad in my opinion. I think the 3D in the game (when you are playing it) will be much better.

I agree with above. Plus, while a little disappointed, since OoT3D was promised to be 3D, I do believe a graphical revamp and some added features more than make up for this minor disappointment. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3D setting on the 3DS cannot be recorded by screen capturers. It is because the "3D mode" has been designed for interpreting perspective for both our right and left eyes. This is why it is recommended to hold the screen 14 inches away from your eyes. That is around the point where your perspective will intersect to create the depth of image. In the same way, if you hold your hand too close to your face and alternate winking, your hand's position will appear to shift. The entire glasses-less 3D technology is based on this, as well as the red-and-blue. A simple camera cannot capture this as it does not have two lenses to create two different perspectives.

ShaneOMac713

The Seal has been Broken
I completely agree with Unlucky Monkey I think that the video wasn't that good and that the game will look like 3D when you play it and not when you watch it on a video

if you mean the trailer on the 3ds itself.
it sucks because of bad quality it was blurry but someone said it was because it was it was made smaller or something like that.
i am sure that in the real game you can clearly see the 3d

Fierce

Deity Link
Are you kidding me? Maybe your eyes just haven't found the right setting yet because mine definitely came out at me. Zelda's hands moved out in front of my screen and several energy bursts flew at my face.

D

Dionysos

I have watched the video so much on my 3ds.. its great. The 3d effect I found to be very pronounced (when Ganon turns around when hes playing the organ it totally throws my eyesight off for a second lol)
I just wish the video quality was higher so could be appreciated better.

Last edited by a moderator:

HappyMaskSlsman

Smilus Creepus
I would have to agree with the two above posts. Upon download, I immediately watched the video. The 3D effect (which I, after originally purchasing the system, found to be rather blurry at times. This lasted for only the first few hours with the system.) was stunning. Of course, popping out is a limited aspect, and only part of the 3DS's capabilities. The image was extremely sharp and the 3D was simply stunning. (It was most notable at the part where Link leapt towards the chest.) I wouldn't be surprised if this was the final quality of the game (nor would I be disappointed). If you wish to see some "popping out", watch the MGS3D trailer. I've found the depth created by the 3DS to be amazing. If you are unimpressed thus far with the depth, I advise you watch the opening seconds of the Star Fox 64 3D trailer. It is as though you have a mini Lylat system within your 3DS, and gives a good sense of what the system can do. (It may take some distance/angle changes for the fullest effect).

By no means I am unimpressed with the 3D effect, on the contrary, MGS, Mario Kart, Starfox and Kid Icarus are all employing the 3D. What bothers me is that the 3D effect is not coming outside the screen (much like it does in 3D movies at the theater), instead it carves itself in, JUST LIKE IF YOU WERE WATCHING OUTSIDE A WINDOW. There are moments when some characters pop out but they mostly have deph inside the screen not outside. I know most game cannot pop everything out but SOME scenes like when the bosses appear it would have looked amazing. Just wanted to clarify that. By the way, if you live in Europe it seems the trailer has very bad quality but the American trailer is inmensly sharp. Anyone noticed the title screens aswell? Only Luigi's Mansion was the only one that came out the Screen al the others seemed to be inside the screen and far away.

HappyMaskSlsman

Smilus Creepus
I'll have to download the Luigi's Mansion trailer (was far too lazy at the time). I suppose it is that "3D" really can have multiple definitions. Either way, I'm certain you'll have your pop out effect for at least one moment in the game. Remember, we haven't yet seen all of the shots from OoT. ;)

T

Triforce Eden

3D is supposed to be depth. It's supposed to look like you're watching a diorama, or a stage.

In my opinion, the "3D" of things popping out of you, gets old quickly.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
I can definitely say OoT is about Depth.

I've had this feeling and I assure you it's a nice experience. The Standing out thing really might hurt your eyes or might make you flinch. Well not hurt your eyes in a way, but just make you flinch. If Nintendo would have done that, well, I would flinch if an arrow suddenly popped up the screen in 3D and headed right towards me, I would be shocked and somewhat numbed. The depth is a nice change of pace after all. You see more into the game rather than out. You could have, say...explore more. Exploring is Key afterall in any Zelda game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom