• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

notes in Gaming

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
when a game gives you, say, the code for an important safe do you scribble it down on a piece of paper or hope you remember it wayyyy later in the game???

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
when I was young we used to have pieces of paper taped to the side of the TV stand with codes for levels in adventure of lolo.
I had a piece of paper with locations of pieces of heart and treasure maps written down in wind waker as well, but beyond that not really

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
when I was young we used to have pieces of paper taped to the side of the TV stand with codes for levels in adventure of lolo.
I had a piece of paper with locations of pieces of heart and treasure maps written down in wind waker as well, but beyond that not really
That reminds me, on my eventual LoZ playthrough in the distant future, I'm planning to have a sheet of paper with the same size as the map and use it to write down important things. I'm going old school for it :cool:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I don't usually write down stuff I discover. I figure that if I managed to find something the first time, I'll find it again next time I'm in the area with whatever item I need to obtain it. I never go out of my way for stuff, if I happen to see it I'll grab it and if I can't yet oh well I'll see if I can next time I'm in the area. The only time I take notes is if I need to remember a pattern or numerical sequence for an essential quest bc there is NO way I'll remember that.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
When I was younger, during summer breaks I always used to take my left over paper, or notebooks and journals that still had paper in them, from the previous school year and jot down notes as I played through games. I remember for OoT I always used to forget the Nocturne of Shadow, and I got tired of always having to pause the game to remember it, so I wrote it onto a piece of paper. Perhaps my first note relating to a game.

Also I still have this paper that was folded up in my copy of Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy:

20210719_175953-min.jpg

I wrote this inbetween 2nd or 3rd grade, so I was 7. At that time I had a weird phase where I was writing in caps fsr, but I was still sometimes using lower case letters, and that's how I can accurately get a timeframe on when I did these notes. I seemed to struggle to spell torch, lol.

I still take notes as I play games via Google Docs, but it's rarely ever walkthrough type content. Instead I'm usually taking notes on things I like and dislike as I play, with the intent to do a critical analysis afterwards. And to get a raw form of that, I present my bullet points of my Skyrim playthrough so far, some things might change, idk yet:

Pros:
  • Better graphics
  • Cinematic death blows (just because they look cool)
  • Holding onto objects to position them onto tables, shelves, etc...

Cons:
  • Normal Dungeons/Ruins are extremely bigger than in Morrowind, in comparison. I feel like some of them are just too big for their own good. Prime example, Ustengrav is a dungeon that takes at least 30 to 40 minutes to comb through and then the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller isn't even there. That's a bit too much of a time commitment to turn up empty handed. Sure you learn a new shout, but you can't even use it immediately. There wasn't enough good loot to make that exploration worthwhile otherwise.

A mix of both:
  • Lock picking. I'd say it's a good aspect because it actually requires a degree of player skill, rather than being done with a mere press of a button, and the hope the lock gets picked. It's a negative aspect though if you feel like success rate should be dependent on your actual skill in that area. For example, a Master lock in theory shouldn't be successfully picked with minimal effort when your lockpicking skill isn't very high, but it can be picked pretty easily regardless which makes this skill rather pointless.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As a kid I'd write down anything I needed to remember in a book while playing games but nowadays I'll usually just take a picture of the screen and refer back to my camera roll later if required - I should probably be better organised on what gets saved in my camera roll since sometimes it can be hard to find later on

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom