• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nostalgia

XskywardX

Shadow Instruments
Hey all, Dlane_skyward here, and I wanted to talk about nostalgia; that good feeling you can't you can't really explain after sparking a memory of something from long ago. It really is awesome, and parks a combination of joy, sadness, and even sometimes anger or grief. Well, a few months ago, I was listening to some Zelda music, and I had mentioned that it made me feel nostalgic; And my Dad thought it's totally impossible to feel nostalgia as only a 14 year old kid,and that to feel "actual" nostalgia, you have to be like 25+ years of age. This is because he thinks for it to be "actual" nostalgia, the memories would have to be from 15-20 years ago. I completely disagree; I know what nostalgia is, I'v felt it before, and it definitely is possible for a 14 year old kid to feel nostalgic about something. When I was listening to the Zelda music, it had sparked memories of about 4-5 years ago, playing game (especially Zelda) with my older brother, who now lives in Chicago, while I live back here in central Minnesota.

Anyway guys....thoughts?

Thanks,
Dlane_skyward

You know when you go through small towns and they have all these old little shops that have been shut down and just stood there like they were since then, with all the old signs and stuff? That gives me nostalgia. Signs from old brands of candy, juice and ice cream that don’t exist any more, old logotypes of brands that still exist, and the rest of all the old signs and ads. I’ll remember one of those things and remember some time I had it and how nice it was and all the other good vibes going on, being a kid was great.

The same goes for old video games and especially the music from these. I have quite a huge collection of video game music and I listen to it frequently.

But the number one thing that makes me feel nostalgia is going to the places where I went when I was a kid. The old house where I grew up, the nearby forest where my friends and I made treehouses (some of which are still intact,) the old school, and places like that. I can almost see my little kid self playing around, and I can remember certain things I thought about in those moments.

I love feeling nostalgia, it inspires me.

Sheik

:the:
I agree, nostalgia can come in most any age.

Anyways, yeah, I'm totally nostalgic for some things. Mostly videogames, and these would include Pokemon (All Gen 3 games, including spinoffs ((especially Colosseum and XD)), Paper Mario games (especially TTYD, and I swear to God, this music will make me shed tears of joy: )
[video=youtube;dTBNuKyGKnk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTBNuKyGKnk[/video]

Now that I think about it... Glitzville, too:
[video=youtube;WwzOUUPctQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwzOUUPctQg[/video]
And Smash Brothers, too.
These have special places in my <3

I'm also pretty nostalgic for some books and movies. This is mostly Harry Potter, which I first read in second grade; oh, the memories :)

What's weird, though, is I usually get a feeling for newer things that is the same feeling of feelz I feel when I feel things I liked at younger ages. I don't know if you would call this "nostalgia", but I feel a bit nostalgic for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, even though I only watched it a few months ago. I guess it kinda reminded me of something from long ago, heaven knows what...

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nostalgia is a great thing. However, like all great things, it can be used for bad. We shouldn't use nostalgia when arguing best vs worse cases. Be wary of the greatness of nostalgia, as it can be a double edged sword.

You can definitely feel nostalgia for something before you're 25 years old. If you have the capacity to remember something with a great fondness, I think that's when you can start saying you're "nostalgic" about something.

It's pretty strange how varied the methods are that memories can be triggered, and thus lead to a nostalgic feeling. The most common I've gone through is just looking through old pictures and seeing people that I probably won't ever see again. High school wasn't an adventure by any means, but I did get to know a lot of good people and have some good times. Everyone going their separate ways after was more fulfilling to me I guess, since I was ready for it all to be over, but the pictures are still a good reminder that it wasn't all that bad all the time.

I recently had nostalgia triggered by taste of all things, if you could believe that. It was weird, because that's NEVER happened to me before. It was something like four years ago that I would always go work out in a pool with some friends twice a week, and we'd always get donuts and Sunny D afterwards. We did it all summer too, which was kind of a miracle in and of itself really, haha. But just tasting Sunny D for the first time since then this week instantly brought me back to that, so I got reminded how much fun I had back then. Again, I'm not in touch with those people anymore, so it was a mixed feeling for sure.

But I've never really felt that way for video games, surprisingly. I'll play games today that I played as a little kid, but I don't ever mind myself getting the same feeling that I mentioned above. Maybe it's just because I turn my brain off or something, but I've never really gotten a strong reaction from it. Nostalgia does play a part in my opinions of some games for sure though. Sonic Adventure 2 is something I had a blast with as a kid, and playing through the HD version recently on PSN I still really liked it. It's not THAT good of a game, but I still have really fond memories of having fun with it as a kid. The same goes for Sonic Heroes, also really not that good of a game, haha.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Nostalgia is certainly an odd feeling and it's something I can't quite put my finger on.

To be honest, I don't think nostalgic feelings have to be triggered after such a long period of time, hell, I even get nostalgic after when I reminisce over recent past sometimes. However, it does tend to be a rarity and it's a feeling that you need to treasure to be honest as we can not revisit the past we can only reminisce. Although, someone/something may trigger something that may put you back to that specific moment hence "nostalgia".

I think the main was I feel nostalgic is through music. I'm an avid fan of music and have been ever since I was young. I like to think that I have a special connection with music and, due to the fact that I listen to music a lot, I tend to associate specific moments in my life with certain songs. So just listening back to a specific song will put me back to that moment and it will give me a slight nostalgic feel. Even listening to music from a year back triggers such feelings. Sometimes I get to attached to the past which is silly of me as I like to live on the present, but sometimes you just can't help it.

Games and other things also trigger some nostalgia; however, my main source comes from music and sometimes it's nice to put my headphones in and go back to that specific moment in time.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I believe nostalgia can occur before you're 25. I usually associate it with a warm, happy feeling, generally towards music. There isn't really a way to explain it, it's like travelling back in time to the first moment you heard that tune, and all these memories and emotions start rushing back. It's a beautiful thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom