• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Voice Acting: Happy or Dissapointed?

Icetomeetyou

*brofist*
I'm not surprised. I didn't expect Nintendo to do it. Plus, I don't really think voice acting would fit the Zelda series. It might turn out bad anyway. Most of the voice acting I've heard in video games has been way too cheesy.

D

Da Bunni Hood

Everybody's right it would ruin the nostalgia... Imagine listening to "It's a secret to everyone." That would just suck.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
I think I feel the need to bring this up:

gamelon_story9_640w.jpg

I can't wait to bomb some dodongos!!!

Voice acting wouldn't make sense. Link is the silent protagonist, which makes sense, but if everyone else had vocals it would make Link seem outta place.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
^That was done in Metroid Prime 3 and it was well-executed imo.
It wouldn't be a bad idea if SS had voice acting but Link didn't speak. I'd even be fine with Link saying two words like he did in WW ("C'mon!"). I don't mind if we're not getting full voice acting, but we should at least get fully orchestrated music!

I'm pretty glad there isn't voice acting. I'm not saying I would disown Zelda if the did or anything, but trying it would be a HUGE leap for the series. If it was a little bad, it would ruin the whole game for me; terrible voice acting is pretty much my number one turn off for a video game, even if it's really great. IMO, voice acting is just too easy to do poorly, and I don't think it's worth the risk for Nintendo to try it on a Zelda game. However, if they did pull it off, and make it really good, the game could have potential to be really amazing! I just don't think the risk is worth it though. Just my opinion.

I didn't think Nintendo would actually do voice acting. I'm glad they still didn't though. It would've been less than 50% chance it would turn out good. If they were going to do voice acting, then they had to get a good voice actor for Ganondorf because when I heard Bowser in Sunshine, I was very, very dissappointed on his voice.

As others said, I would not want Link to talk, even in text form. All though he did said "C'mon" in WW

C

Cynic

It's kind of unimportant, but it would've been something new and fresh. Reading has never bothered me and it's hard to say whether VA would fit Zelda, but the general format of Zelda games is growing tiresome. It's time for them to do something new and surprising, kind of like Wind Waker. I'm personally indifferent towards VA in Zelda and Link talking; I try to be as optimistic as possible towards new releases but it's hard when this game looks like just another OoT rehash.

I'm rather neutral on the thought of voice acting in Zelda. I only got into the series last year, so what older Zelda fans might call staples to the series, such as silence and text, I can actually care less about them. I think voice acting can work well for the series. Even if the voice acting turns out horrible, it can still be a step forward to the series because it shows that Nintendo did consider it, and if voice acting is to be kept, they'll improve on it.

Plenty of other games used voice acting and it worked well for them, such as Metroid Prime 3: Corruption as mentioned above, though I still haven't played it yet, and some others, such as Super Mario Sunshine, excluding Bowser, Bowser Jr., and Princess Peach had decent voice acting.

Also, for those who try to mention the CD-I Zeldas's voice acting to oppose the thought, obviously they're going to get better voice acting than that, so there's no reason to try to bring that up.

Last edited:

Nye Pendragon

derparific
I'm happy. I never wanted it, I actually do NOT like voice acting.
Most of the time it's because it has to be dubbed, which is really quite hard to do well for a video game.
Few games have done this well. And Zelda doesn't need it; no voice acting keeps Zelda unique from other games.
And it's distracting for me. I prefer reading things to hearing them. I like imagining what voices may sound like, and what if the character sounds nothing like I think he should?
So yes, I am quite happy there isn't going to be any. To say it simply, I just don't like voice acting. (Exept in certain games. It just doesn't fit Zelda.)

My reasoning makes no sense. |D

Eh, I don't really mind how it went, either way. I mean, voice-acting can get annoying, but it hasn't been that bad throughout the Zelda series--except Spirit Tracks... They should have an options menu for the volume on the voices. That is how it was for some of my games. The most I want in Zelda as far as voice-acting goes would be the "Hy-aah" Link makes as he swings his sword. I absolutley hated in Wind Waker when Daphnes was voiced near the end of the game, so I would like it limited as much as possible, but don't really want a silent game in that aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom