• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Voice Acting: Happy or Dissapointed?

FlatxSharp

Music to last through the ages
SO HAPPY! I was worried. Very worried. I know that Nintendo probably would have been able to pull it off this time, but I was worried more about the future. I only could imagine voice acting becomine such a common thing in the games that it eventually wasn't even a topic of discussion. Like, "just throw any guy in there for Link's voice. As long as he has the hat no one cares." Kinda thing. :( Zelda is a rare game. It's evolving as far as graphics go, but you still have to read the dialouge. I love that.

13foxes

I'm very happy to see that there aren't voice acting. Bad voice acting could ruin the game, no matter how good it is. Good voice acting is time and money-consuming. And the result might not be good for everyone, because each person has their own opinions and tastes. So, keeping the traditional text boxes is the best way. No one is going to be disappoint for bad voice acting.

Beside, I hope there isn't voice acting in any up coming Zelda games. Because, if there is voice acting, we couldn't simply press A to skip messages anymore. If we could, then the voices would become a bunch of meaningless words, like a 300%-speed up audio. When we want to read messages one more time, we have to listen to the same boring voices again. It's a pain, especially when you don't have much time or patience. And, what about mute people, or people that have different languages? How can they understand the story or the messages?

So, I'm with text boxes all the way. No voice acting.

Last edited:

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Well, personally I wouldn't mind voice acting for anyone who isn't Link...
I don't think anything good would come from Link talking, but I don't mind villagers or side characters talking.
But, then again, if everyone else in the game is talking, that does sort of put pressure on Link to talk, doesn't it?
Maybe people can talk in the same way that they had Midna talk; in some other language (perhaps had them talk verbal Hylian? That'd be cool....I'm sure people would go on and try to learn how to speak it.)
Ah well.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
Given the amount of time that the series hasn't had voice acting, i'm glad that the trend will continue for it. It's just what i've grown accustomed to, if a series starts with no voices then it seems strange to have them, like wise for it a series does and then moves onto not having them.

Still, if the franchise ever did happen to get voice acting in the future, i'd probably tolerate and maybe grow used to it so long as Link specifically didn't speak.

I personally don't want voice acting in any zelda game. Sure it can be done well, but it can also be done poorly. If Nintendo ever did put voice-acting in a Zelda game I hope they put in an option to turn it off.

I think one of the high points about Zelda is exactly because there is NO voice acting. It's much more artistic to understand the characters emotions by their gestures and expressions, so I wouldn't add VA to the game.

But I also vote for experimentation. Nintendo should make a Zelda game with VA just to see the final results and find out what are people's opinions.

Well, since there is no VA in SS, I'm happy, but I still think Nintendo should TRY!

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
I figured they wouldn't incorporate voice acting. They haven't ever done it before, so why should they start now? I'm not opposed to it, though, and I'm sure if they ever wanted to change things up a bit they would do a fairly wonderful job, but there is something about the text dialog that makes the game much more magical and innovative.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
I would say I'm somewhat relieved... I mentioned in another thread on the possibility of VAs that it would be tempting to see what kind of voices we would get, but now that I think about it, I don't think it's something that should be pursued. There's just so much bad voice acting in video games and I feel like it would be a gamble with the Zelda series. Take for example, games like Super Mario Sunshine, and Red Steel 2 (okay I know RS2 is supposed to be a sort of spaghetti western, but still). Great games, but seriously, the cheesy VAing was making me facepalm during cutscenes. It threw me off a tad.. I wouldn't want that to happen to Zelda, and frankly, I love Nintendo and their games, but I don't think would execute it very well.

So yeah, I'm glad they decided against it.

I'm a bit meh. I liked the idea of voice-acting and was 100% certain Nintendo would get it right, but I also liked it how it was quite a lot. So whether they do or not doesn't really matter to me. I was a little sad since it means one of my predictions is wrong, but aw well. :P

I do think there is still a slight possibility, but I'd say only like a 5% chance now. I say this since Nintendo has contradicted themselves when talking about the games in the past, and especially so with Skyward Sword. Still, the fact that they said it, and so clearly, makes it incredibly unlikely.

I think one of the high points about Zelda is exactly because there is NO voice acting. It's much more artistic to understand the characters emotions by their gestures and expressions, so I wouldn't add VA to the game.

But I also vote for experimentation. Nintendo should make a Zelda game with VA just to see the final results and find out what are people's opinions.

Well, since there is no VA in SS, I'm happy, but I still think Nintendo should TRY!
Completely agreed.

I wouldn't mind a zelda game having voice acting, just as long as link doesn't talk. If he does, then it should be in text form.
I actually don't want him to talk at all, even in text. XP Besides, mixing the two... Having Link talk in text and everyone else talk in voice would be awkward IMO. To me, I think if there's going to be voice-acting, he shouldn't talk at all.

but the characters still need to make wierd noises! xD
^

Austin

Austin
I'm overjoyed at the lack of voice acting. It wouldn't fit the series in the slightest. It's sort of a staple of the series, to be honest. Besides, I don't trust American localization divisions.
One thing about voice acting is that they'd have to pick good actors in every region they released it in. I used to watch anime and often the difference between the subbed and the dubbed was pretty big. They may not want to risk ruining the game to some people due to poor acting for some versions, as there would be a lot of talking involved in the story.

What these two said, more or less. The only issue I have with voice acting is the American version mucking it up. I've seen precious few dubs that I could tolerate, and only one or two that actually exceeded the original Japanese version, IMO. Ideally, I'd have enjoyed a subtitled version along the lines of what February mentioned, but I doubt the possibility of that happening. Too many illiterates would complain that it's no different from a read-only game. :mad:

I don't really acknowledge the "It wouldn't be Zelda cause Zelda has never had VAs before" argument as valid, to be honest. That's true for all series that existed before voice acting became commonplace in video games, yet plenty of them have evolved. I do agree that Link shouldn't speak however, for reasons that others have mentioned. He is meant to represent the player within the game, and is not a full character on his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom