• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Voice Acting: Happy or Dissapointed?

Beeker

Wild Card
Reading this news post on the home page,there is some new information about Skyward Sword.(from the upcoming Nintendo Power September issue) One of these points is that this game will not have voice acting, and that VA does not fit the Zelda series altogether.

What do you think about this? Are you happy that this is the case? Or are you a little let down that the developers are not choosing to give this a go? Post your opinions and thoughts.

L

legnase

Personally I'm kinda sad. I think it would be pretty awesome to have voice acting, and I hope that they do this in the future. I am one of those people however that does not want Link to talk. And if Nintendo was smart if they make a game with voice acting they should make an option to turn it off so the people who don't like it can turn it off.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Relieved...I think that if there were voice acting, people would focus to much on the cinematics. Plus, since so far this game is not looking first rate in terms of graphics, It think it would feel incongruous to have advanced voice acting.

It never really made a difference to me. Voice acting would make the game more emotional story wise, and would give better personal connections to the characters, but Zelda has never been about that to me. Sure, I'd LOVE to actually care about a character in a Zelda game for once, but if Nintendo doesn't want to make it easier, that's fine. I've got Final Fantasy for all of that, which pulls it off way better than a Zelda game ever could.

So, it's okay with me. If Nintendo doesn't want the Zelda series to evolve beyond blocks of text and occasional grunts, that's cool. Like I said, other series give me that when I want it.

WeeGee

TheHeroOfTime
I'm as giddy as a school girl.
The VA would take away that certain Nintendo feel from the game. I mean, Nintendo doesn't want it because it would just ruin the game, like Mario Sunshine.

I really hope they have good voice acting with matching animations in a future Zelda.
I was hoping it to be in SS but I guess I'll live with it.
I really hate reading and missing the cut-scene or whatever is going on.

Bu as long as they have orchestral music I will be content :)

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I'm glad about it. I don't like the idea of voice acting in video games, especially in long established series that didn't have it to begin with. It ruins a bit of the nostalgia factor for me to have voices given to characters that were always mute and thus voiced only in my imagination. That, and like I said, I just don't like voice acting in games in general. Period.

At the same time, I wouldn't be too surprised if they did voice acting in a later Zelda game, and if they did, I can't say I'd be outraged. I have enough faith that Nintendo won't mess it up, I hope. But for now I'm glad they left it out of SS.

WeeGee

TheHeroOfTime
I'm glad about it. I don't like the idea of voice acting in video games, especially in long established series that didn't have it to begin with. It ruins a bit of the nostalgia factor for me to have voices given to characters that were always mute and thus voiced only in my imagination. That, and like I said, I just don't like voice acting in games in general. Period.

At the same time, I wouldn't be too surprised if they did voice acting in a later Zelda game, and if they did, I can't say I'd be outraged. I have enough faith that Nintendo won't mess it up, I hope. But for now I'm glad they left it out of SS.

I would say, "THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING!"
But I only agree with some part of your post :|

Kybyrian

I think voice acting would work well in a Zelda game, and I would like to see it in future Zelda games. I would have liked to see it in this one just to see what it would be like right now, but I guess not. I think that voice acting makes you really get connected more with the characters, feel what they're feeling a bit more and all that. I'm not a big fan of Link talking or anything, though. I'm fine with the grunts and HYAAAAs.

Austin

Austin
For those who are pro voice acting? Who would you have do the voice acting?! Someone famous? If it's someone famous/good that's money that has to pay them while it could be spent on gameplay. If not someone who is famous then who? Someone who sucks at voice acting? Good vs Bad voice acting can make the difference from a great to a horrible game! I don't have the exact quote, but Miyamoto talked about how our imagination can create a better voice for Link then anyone really can.

I have to say that I agree. It never bugged me that Link didn't get dialect. The blunt truth is that we Zelda veterans don't want voice acting, and we will dictate a good portion of the game's design. We will be the ones who will endorse it to younger and newer gamers. If we're not happy, the sales could do bad. Nintendo may not do the same for Mario, as the newer games are becoming more easier then the older ones, and we do see a lot of spin-offs. However, Zelda isn't Mario and I don't see that changing. Miyamoto talked about changing the Zelda serious dramatically, and we can see its not that hugely changed. The game engine has significantly changed and we see new items, but there will be puzzles and other veteran faves.

linkman8

True and Noble
I'm overjoyed at the lack of voice acting. It wouldn't fit the series in the slightest. It's sort of a staple of the series, to be honest. Besides, I don't trust American localization divisions.

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
In a way, I'm relieved. I love it when they take risks with Zelda games because they usually pay of but I think voice acting might be too much of a risk. I'm just worried that Nintendo, while capable of doing a great job at voice acting, might not focus enough on it to make it great. If they don't spend enough time on it, it could ruin the game. On the other hand, if they spent a LOT of time on it, they might not have enough time to work on the rest of the game and other aspects of the game might not be as developed. I think the text is fine the way it is. It can still make me feel conncted. I legitimately felt bad for the characters of Majora's Mask and I that alone made me feel motivated to kill Majora.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
One thing about voice acting is that they'd have to pick good actors in every region they released it in. I used to watch anime and often the difference between the subbed and the dubbed was pretty big. They may not want to risk ruining the game to some people due to poor acting for some versions, as there would be a lot of talking involved in the story.

Related to that, reading subtitles never distracted me from an anime. So to me, the best compromise would be to have "voice acting" in an unknown language (like Midna's nonsense speak, but more thorough) while keeping the traditional text boxes. That would probably be too much work to actually execute in the series - we probably don't even know if everyone in Hyrule speaks the same language. And perhaps some players would feel that it makes the game more foreign, so I am obviously not speaking for everyone. But that would be my ideal Zelda because everyone would still get the same experience but we could still feel a sense of mystery and fantasy about the world.

...Long story short, I don't mind, really. But if they ever do add it in I doubt I'll mind either. I'm fairly good about rolling with the punches. :goron:

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Honestly, I don't really care. Sure, I'd appreciate voice acting in the series (especially the kind Febby talked about, that'd be awesome if you ask me), but I can do without it. I've got Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts so I'm good. Still, voice acting in the series would be appreciated. It'd make thinking of the characters as real people instead of just objects on the screen a lot easier.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm quite happy, actually. If SS HAD VAing, the game would be delayed even further, and who knows what actors Nintendo would pick? The voices wouldn't really make the story accessible to some, and Zelda doesn't really need it. Zelda has ground-breaking gameplay (at times), so I think Nintendo will roll with that for a while. Like Master Kokiri and others have said, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts exist out there if you want voices. (I actually own every Kingdom Hearts game that's been released in the USA...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom