• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Voice Acting: Happy or Dissapointed?

Kybyrian

Y'know what? Forget my earlier post, I've had a change of heart. I'm pissed that there won't be any voice acting in this game. Fact is, if I ever feel nostalgic for "the good old silent Zelda", I'll play the 14+ games without voice acting. There's been enough of that, and it's time to step up and evolve. Change has happened many times in the series, and for the most part it worked out pretty damn well. If they keep playing it safe, the game will get stale. I don't want that, and deep down I don't think anyone wants that either. Accept change, and the series may get even better.

Could they screw up? Yeah, it's entirely possible, but not likely in my opinion. For a company like Nintendo that consistently churns out excellent games, I doubt they'd screw up with one of their most popular franchises. And for anyone who says "Zelda isn't a good series for voice acting", you have me positively bewildered. Zelda arguably has more depth and emotion than any other Nintendo series (or video games in general, for that matter). Voice acting tends to work out well for that type of thing. Rather than the typical stream of one-liners, we'd be likely to get emotionally-charged speechs that'd stay with us for quite a bit of time. THAT is the kind of stuff that'll make me believe it could be the best game of all time. Not new controls or graphics or whatever, but something truly risky that the series has seen nothing like before. So yeah, I'm disappointed that there won't be voice acting.

I don't want Link to talk though. Gotta leave something the same.

I kind of agree with you, but at the same time disagree. Voice acting could turn to the better for Zelda, but the thing is that so many people refuse change. They would further please a lot of people, but could displease many others. With a company that wishes to satisfy all of its fans, they are better to play it safe and keep everybody happy. The are aiming to please everybody, even if slightly. They don't want some people to be incredibly awed and others to be turned away from the game.

People are expecting a lot from Skyward Sword, and they don't want to be let down. Absolutely nobody does. I'm really one of those people that would say to give it a shot, because it could make the game better. If it makes it worse, then what the hey, it's still Zelda and will more than likely be a good game. There are just so many people that refuse change that it makes it an almost impossible decision to put it in if you really think it through.

It's very true that Zelda is one of the games that voice acting would work great with, seeing as how it is, as you said, more in-depth with great emotion. This combined with voice acting could make it wonderful. As I've said three times now, though, people tend to resist change. That's why most of the companies are reverting back to the same-old same-old over and over again, because they tend to please more people, whereas if they make other styles of games it tends to please only some people. Those people that are pleased are absolutely awed, but the others don't enjoy it so much.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
As much as I would love to see. (or hear in this case) voice acting appear in SS, I also don't want it to be there at the same time. The text boxes have been apart of the Zelda series from the very beginning, and I guess, in Nintendo's eyes, it would be a big change to the series to include voice acting. I'm kind of happy that it's not going to happen, but, again, I'm not so glad about it too. It would be something new and I think that it would be stepping Zelda's game up a little bit and maybe make it even better than it already is.

E

epic_link

Voice acting in my opinion is a very risky idea, but if done right, it can make a good game great. I'm personally glad that they didn't add voice acting to skyward sword, seeing how the series is already great without the help of voice acting, and the risk would be too great for a high end series like The Legend of Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom