• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Such Thing As Love

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
No no no, me and TM aren't talking about romantic love. We aren't talking about the way you love your girlfriend or wife or family even. We're talking about the purest most true love that fuels everyone and everything that has ever existed, and is the only thing that will remain when the world is over (which even you must admit is inevitable). We, well at least I believe that God is that true love. And so if you've never tasted God how can you taste true love?

Someone who doesn't believe in God can totally fall in love like romantic love! Absolutely! Everybody can love in the earthly sense, as much as our brains can understand it. But, as I said, you can only get true love from God. So if you don't have God you don't have true love. And I feel bad for you... because God's love is pretty great. I wish you could have some

No no no, me and TM aren't talking about romantic love. We aren't talking about the way you love your girlfriend or wife or family even. We're talking about the purest most true love that fuels everyone and everything that has ever existed, and is the only thing that will remain when the world is over (which even you must admit is inevitable). We, well at least I believe that God is that true love. And so if you've never tasted God how can you taste true love?

Someone who doesn't believe in God can totally fall in love like romantic love! Absolutely! Everybody can love in the earthly sense, as much as our brains can understand it. But, as I said, you can only get true love from God. So if you don't have God you don't have true love. And I feel bad for you... because God's love is pretty great. I wish you could have some
I am pretty sure that there are other sources of dopamine release than invisible sky beings.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Well, should've seen this one coming. Although no religion was hinted at in the OP, people found a way to throw it in anways. :dry: I'll go ahead and expound on the OP, half because I think it should be done, and half because I am kinda bored right now.

Comic book fans may be familiar with the Anti-life Equation, and I've used that as inspiration to come up with a love equation.
First mistake is right there. I have absolutely no idea what this "Anti-Life" equation is. Wanna explain it? How about a link to a page to explain it? Paraphrase it? Something? I have absolutely no idea where this is coming from, and sure, I could look it up, but its the job of the thread creator to provide all mentioned evidence for arguments.

The thing is though, I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as love. It's really just a pure combination of concentrated amounts of lust and fear.
Not only is this needlessly depressing, where is the backing to this statement? How do you feel about it? You led on that this had scientific ideas behind it, and yet, never bring them up. Why post about it? I would understand if there was a recent study at the University of Whatevers, but no, your "evidence" was this:

See, I remember learning in psychology that women get married out of fear for their future children- they want someone to protect that child, hence the need for a man. Likewise, a daily sex partner + fear of going through the rest of life alone/not having a legacy leads to men marrying women.
Oi, so much to say about these two sentences...alright, first of all, your high school/college psych class isn't very good evidence for this big of an issue. Secondly, you don't even quote anything on it, you summarize it to its most basic aspects. Another thing: psychology has indeed been used to show behavioral patterns within human beings. But there are too many variables for it to be as blanketing as this.

For example, in regards to women: What if a woman doesn't want a child? I have met plenty of women-well into their 30s and 40s, mind you-that say they are never are going to have children...and are married. To a man. Also, what about lesbians? Do they count as a part of this psychology? What about single moms? They seem to be doing just fine without a man-my mom did pretty damn good all by herself. And what about the men? Why can't they have some kind of fear of not having a strong and faithful woman to look after their offspring? Why are they always selfish pricks? Also, again, what about gay men? Why are they exluded from this equation? Why are these traits apparently mutually exclusive?

Also, what kind of love are you actually referring to? Romantic love? Or love as a whole concept? Because your title refers to just love in general, but there are (at least) two types of love: love between two partners (through attraction and admiration) and love that applies to the love of your fellow man, i.e mother to child, father to child, sibling to sibling, friends, etc. The post is not only vague, but confused in itself, seeming to claim that ALL love is a lie, but only referring to ROMANTIC love. So which is it?

I love biology, but I'm not quite good with brain chemistry, but I bet even the chemical discovered would support my beliefs.
This still doesn't make sense. I believe Matt, Kitsu, and Batman have all taken huge strides to prove this wrong. I think. I still have no idea what you are trying to say with that sentence. That scientific evidence of love is still not enough to prove you wrong? Then why debate?

Why am I going on about this? Because it is vague and nonsensical posts like this that devolve into religious nonsense the fastest. Sure, anything has a chance to devolve into religious nonsense. F*cking cat videos on YouTube can do that. But this was so easy it did so in less than 10 posts. Seriously. Next time you wanna make a post on something so big in the Mature Discussion board, put some effort into it.

Now good day sir.

Last edited:

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
How have you drawn this conclusion? You are essentially saying that everything good in life is actually brought on from a lack of bad things rather than the existence of good things, am I correct? So not being sad = happiness and not being alone and not having your legacy halted = love? If that's what you're proposing, I would have to say I strongly disagree. As someone who once had a long term relationship and felt love, I can tell you it is a real thing. I'm sure it just has something to do with chemicals and whatnot, just like every emotion, but emotions still exist. And that includes love.

...Someone who doesn't believe in God can totally fall in love like romantic love! Absolutely! Everybody can love in the earthly sense, as much as our brains can understand it. But, as I said, you can only get true love from God. So if you don't have God you don't have true love. And I feel bad for you... because God's love is pretty great. I wish you could have some
What's the difference between the three?

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl

And just where did you get that from? Because during my time as a Christian I learned otherwise and according to this site, god loves everyone: http://www.gotquestions.org/does-God-love-everyone.html

Does your god's love decrease, to you, if he does not hate someone or loves some more than others? Why do you believe what you believe?

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Intelligent life is quite amazing when you think about it. We are nothing more than a collection of atoms - but the thing is, we are atoms that have become aware of themselves. Atoms that can feel, atoms that can think. Every constituent of our being is made up of nothing more fundamental or special than atomic matter. Quantitatively and qualitatively we are no more special than a rock or a tree. It's just that the arrangement of our atoms allows for extremely complex molecular structures resulting in complex organic actions and reactions. We are atoms that have become aware of themselves.

We are atoms that can fall in love with other atoms. That's a spooky yet beautiful fact.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I have not read any of the replies so I hope my reply is smart :P
Looking from a science perspective love doesn't exist indeed the way we know it. It has been proven it has to do with chemical reactions created in the body. I don't know the terms but isn't is a chemical reaction that give some signals to the brains and cause a reaction? We call it love or being in love. Looking from that perspective nope it doesn't exist.
But looking at it from the way we know it and feel it and undergo it it does exist. The feelings and butterflies we feel and the wish to be with someone forever. I also think it depends on the individual. One is more romantic or maybe more sensitive to these chemical reactions inside the body than the other.

Phew........my two cents :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom