• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda No New Characters

Something unlikely but run with me anyway; how would you react to a future Zelda game having no new unique characters?

In Zelda we get a lot of recurring character for little or no reason like Beedle and Malon, and with each new instalment we get more characters which could return in the future.

So, would you be disappointed in a game which brought in no new characters or even enemies?
Even if the art style was something radically different (as WW was) would the style change alone distract you form the fact there were no new characters?
Would you even care if there were no new characters and everyone was a familiar face?

I don't see how a game without new characters work, unless its a direct sequel and in the same timeline. Think Knights of The Old Repuplic 1 and Knights of the Old Republic 2. There were new characters, but it could have worked with the old ones too.

Honestly as long as the Characters are represented well and feel real and tangible I don't care. But if they start throwing around janitors that have no purpose to the NPC world then i would be disappointed.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Lol this completely contrasts with my idea to replace all the old characters/races with new but whatever I'll actually go with it...

One thing I actually like about Zelda is familiarity, we may have new worlds, times, designs, visuals, controls etc. but we can always expect a lot of familiar aspects. One of the key returning aspects is the characters and races within the game, everytime a new game comes around or if you play a Zelda game that you haven't before its always nice to see a familiar face. In a way it adds to the charm of the series and the heritage, seeing familiar faces is always a reassurance that you are playing a ZELDA game.

One thing I do also like about seeing the same characters is too see what sort of transformation they have made form one game to the other, it's nice to see the same character design wise but it's also nice to see a completely new side to that character, a big example would be the contrasting personalities in Majora's Mask.

It's no lie that having a game filled with past characters would be some what of nice feature but I think that with the way modern fans of such series always demand more and newer aspects. I myself like a contrast of the two, it's nice to see the odd familiar face but having every character being a version of their past counterparts would be too much overkill. Even though the game can twist their design and personalities I would rather they add a fair share of new characters and maybe they will become part of the future Zelda series.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well...this kind of starts me on the MM route: having totally familiar yet fundamentally different characters.

But, as I don't want to go with that as it is technically "introducing new characters", I'd prefer if we did what HyruleHistory10 suggested: having more human characters that develop overtime. :3

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I can only see this working when the game is a direct sequel, which they do add new characters in direct sequels. Or if it take place in an "alternate universe", like Majora's Mask (I don't believe Termina is an alternate universe but this is not a Zelda Theory thread so...Bleh :P). I think I would still be disappointed because even though there were a lot of familiar faces in Majora's Mask they added some new characters, and they game would seem boring without new characters.

Well, imbue said characters with more life and make them more tangible then before and I'm all for it. But you wouldn't just ahve to tweak them to make someone new; you'd really hsve to make them feel REAL to get me on that bandwagon.a

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
Yes, if its a sequel or you get to see more development or unique personalities for those characters. But unless it was done well, I would probably be pretty disappointed.

I like having a few characters that I already know you they are, but I do wish that they would add more newer characters. I would like to see them bring back characters that we haven't seen in a long time not ones that were just in the previous game. I would actually prefer to have almost all of the same enemies. It would make sense to see the same enemies in Hyrule because it's the same place; if it was in a different area, then it would be good to have new enemies if not all new enemies. It really just depends on how you look at it and where the next game takes place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom