• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Navi/Midna Type Character

jugglaj91

I am me....
Sorry if this has been posted about before but it is something I have been thinking about for a while. What if there was no Navi/Midna character in the game? what I mean is a character that basically tells you where to go next. I believe if Nintendo didn't add one it would open up the possibilities with open roaming exploration. And for those who may say it helps them when they are lost or may have forgotten what they did I have this: Anyone play Pokemon Leaf Green or Fire Red? Remember when you would turn on the game and start again and it would say you did such and such? THAT would be the solution. It could show you where you were, what the last cut-scene or two said to jog your memory on what you may want to do next for the story.

Let me know what you think of this idea.

Oh, so the Legend of Zelda and Zelda II don't really count? Just making sure.

I think it would be a good idea not having a helping charcter, all they do is tell you were to go, and what you need to get.

It would be more fun just to play a game to where you need to find the Temple/Dungeon where you're going to go to (Even though it has already been done). Not having a fairy or another person helping you. It sort of takes the fun out of the game.

I wouldn't say it makes a better game. There are few things that annoy me more than getting stuck in a game and having no clue what to do next, then wandering around backtracking back and forth wasting an hour or two only to end up back at the same place. If that's your idea of fun than go wild. I think Navi told you the perfect amount. All she did was direct you to where you should be going next, and in some situations she would float over things and give you hints.

And you know what? If you don't like that, just ignore the C-up button. Easy.

squadala

I don't like you either
One of the thing I miss the most from the original N64 games is enemy instant enemy identification. A partner can always be annoying with lengthy, repetitive diologue or buzzing all around you. Maybe a guide book or quest log similar as FR/LG combined with something like the Metroid Prime scanning guide to have identification of location and enemy. For me at least I pprefer a partner but it does not make or break a game.

Djinn

and Tonic
I liked how Navi, Midna, and King of Red Lions would give Link a hint on what direction to go in. Having the option to speak with them at any time for some info was very useful. Since there is nothing I find more frustrating than wondering around and around having absolutely no idea where I am supposed to go or what to do. But something somewhere needs to be done before I am capable of moving on from an area or out of a room. The sidekick characters add a lot of useful support in these situations, without which would leave the game a much quieter, more confusing, and genuinely more boring experience.

Plus the sidekick characters add a lot of characterization to the completely silent wooden hero and keep the story moving. If every scene was just Link staring blankly at the enemy or NPC things would become boring quickly. But Midna would have a reaction beyond widening eyes and shock. She would speak, move around, show emotion, and often voice opinion. For all things outside of gameplay controls, she was the main character of TP. If Link is to remain the totally silent emotionless player avatar then someone has to step up and be the main character that moves the story along and interacts with the surroundings outside of pushing buttons and fighting enemies.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I think Navi and Midna and various other helpers are useful...but to some extent. They are good because if you are stuck then they can often tell you where to go next. But then they can be quite useless and somewhat annoying. I like Midna, and Navi too but there is that moment where they keep repeating the same thing that doesn't help you. I like the companions a lot, but I find it annoying when they tell you useless things, and when they keep on saying ot over and over again. In OoT, there is that owl guy, he is...weird. The riddle type clues are interesting and helpful...a bit, but sometimes they aren't and quite frankly he freaks me out with his head turning upside down...

So, I am kind of in the middle with these characters, undecided. There are great and not so great things about them, but they do keep Link company. :P

jugglaj91

I am me....
OK maybe i didnt say what i meant entirely. It isn't that I don't mind Midna or Navi aside from the annoying "Hey" "look". But I always see something about more exploration. I figure by not having a character direct you to your next destination it opens it up. So what about a character that isn't always sure where to go. they can direct you to different spots but you still have to figure out most of it on your own? Not every time but once in a while he/she can be just like, "I don't know but I remember something about..." kind of thing.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Ah, I see. That is a different, good idea. I like having a guide to the game in some situations because then you can complete the game easier. But at the same time, freedom is a great thing. Being able to explore the vast lands in Zelda is great, it gives you a sense of freedom and you can even accomplish more in the game. But sometimes Navi/Midna etc, can stop you doing that, because they keep telling you where to go. This is an interesting thought because I love both...I love having the freedom to explore but also being guided is helpful. Interesting idea.

zeldakid895

Zelda's Kid
Well I agree with you in that it offers less linearity which might be for the better or for the worse. But they seem to be a staple now, so I don't see why they would quit.

Epona

Ordon Village
As for the 3D games, it would feel weird to me, to not have some kind of fairy or some kind of creature/character to tag along with me.

G

Gaspra

The problem with removing the "guide" character in a 3D Zelda: Who talks? Navi was an ingenious idea in OoT because the guide brings the expected personality and empathy expected of a protagonist without compromising the tradition of Link's silence. The guide is an effective storytelling tool and without it a Zelda game cannot be successful in 3D.

Personally, I would probably get stuck at times without a hint here or there haha, But even if there was no one like Navi who always shouts for attention, But just a person like Saria who you could talk to somehow (Like through the Ocarina) And get a very brief hint. At least then you would only call for help when it's really needed, and not have someone popping up all the time. But then again i get a feeling of safety having a sidekick knowing I'm not completely alone in those dark scary places.

Nye Pendragon

derparific
I really like how they did it with the King of Red Lions in Wind Waker. He was only around when you wanted him to be. Not like Midna or Navi, who were your constant companions. You could always talk to them and they would help you wherever you were. But with the King of Red Lions, he was only around for the important stuff.
He helped only as much as a guide, rather than a sidekick. The dungeon crawling was done by you, with the occasional help from the King via the Gossip Stone.
He only provided hints when absolutely needed. And if you were ever unsure as to where to go, he would hint for you when you spoke to him, rather than outright telling you (I've noticed this because I am replaying Wind Waker at the moment).

This is the kind of partner I like. The kind that is usually around for cutscenes, plot and the occassional hint or two.

But sometimes we need a partner like Midna or Navi. In a new game (or gaming platform), sometimes we need some extra help because it's new to us. I think that's why Midna is the way she is in Twilight Princess, because the Wii was a new system and well, not everyone was going to get the hang of it right away. I think the partner (oh, come on. We ALL know there will be one! xD) in Skyward Sword will also be this way because of the addition of Wii Motion Plus.

Having no partner at all is kind of... boring, to me at least. I highly dislike the lack of conversation, plot and such because the early Zelda games don't have a partner like the newer games. Not to say that the older games are rubbish, because that's not my point at all! What I'm saying is that though partners make the games a little easier, they also add overall character and plot to the game! Without them, it's just Link, a mute hero, running around slaying monsters and completing dungeons. The only plot developement is few and far between because there is nobody to talk to at any time! No one to help if you're completely stuck, and have no idea where to go next. The partner is quintessential to Zelda because of the character he or she provides to what would be a very dull story if Link was the only protagonist the whole time. (Like in the first Zelda or Adventure of Link). Even a reaccuring character can be very useful if you don't have a partner (say, Marin from Link's Awakening) the entire game. They add something.

I'm not sure what kind of partner everyone prefers, and it must be difficult to please everybody for developers. They have to make disicions on what to do with a partner, weither he be the Midna, Navi or Kingly type. Sometimes they make mistakes (I'm looking at YOU, Tatl!) and other times they hit the spot (in my opinion, The King of Red Lions).

I think we need partners for the laughs, the plot development and the overall addition of character alongside silent Link. :3
(But these are just my opinions~)

It's not to say your idea wouldn't work, because it totally could if Nintendo wanted it to. But that's just not really Zelda, is it?
I dunno. Interesting idea, I wonder what would happen if they used it someday?

jugglaj91

I am me....
It could have a AoL feel. No partner but you have to talk to people to figure out what they want or need and help them in their cause. As in the case in TP with helping the Gorons. Its not to say I don't like them at all but I was only trying to offer an idea for those who miss the old run around til you find what you need kind of thing. Or just allowing for more open exploration without someone yelling at you to go to a certain area.

N

Night Angel

I think it depends somewhat on the feel Nintendo wants for that particular game. In a world that's supposed to feel open for exploration and uncharted you provide the player with no guide, (or a very silent guide such as King of Red Lions), but for a more mythical world that's supposed to be filled to the brim with magic and different cultures, a guide fits with helping direct you and giving some personality to your player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom