• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No More Hyrules

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
So, I may be in the minority here, but I think Ninty should STOP making Zelda games that take place in Hyrule. To be honest, exploring the same thing over and over again just isn't fun. Sure it's sort of different each time, but why not have something super new or fantastical? What do you think?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I'd like to the history of Ikana's war with the Garo Nation. Or well more of Termina's history. The same applies to the realm of the Ocean King what happened after Bellum's death? And the war between the spirits of light and Malladus is another i'd like to see. They literally have some good choices to expand outside of hyrule or heck long before Hyrule is established i daresay people would want to se the War between Demise and Hylia.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
Only on occasion. I like tradition, I like Hyrule. I don't want to just toss it out after almost 30 years of being part of our Zelda games. But changing it up sometimes with places like Termina or the Realm of the Ocean King does help spice things up a bit. So, I'm open to new locations, as long as we don't have to lose Hyrule for it.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Hyrule never looks the same from game to game so I don't see why this is even a problem. While they share similarities, each Hyrule has been very unique from one another. Plus, plenty of games have taken place elsewhere.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Every fantastical series (yes, for the purpose of this post, I'm calling Zelda fantastical) needs a big primary setting that the games/books/movies/whatever take place in. For example, I can't imagine Lord of the Rings without Middle Earth; I can't imagine Harry Potter without Hogwarts; same applies, I can't imagine Zelda without Hyrule. Hyrule is the setting of the series, there's no real reason to stop using it. Besides, if you don't count the surface in Skyward Sword as Hyrule (It technically isn't, even though it's the same realm), then A Link Between Worlds was the first game to feature Hyrule since Twilight Princess, meaning there were 3 games in between that featured new lands. And those 3 are part of a bigger number that includes 4 other games, meaning 7 out of 17 games so far have not taken place in Hyrule. So no, I don't think it's time to stop using Hyrule.

As others have said, I don't really see the problem anyway, since Hyrule looks vastly different in each game that's released, with the obvious exception of ALBW.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think every series needs a primary location, something to build a foundation on. If you're just switching around all the time, then nothing really connects or builds. Having a set location allows for tradition while letting lore grow and grow.

I like to think of Hyrule as the world (it is actually referenced as this) and each individual game has their own unique twist on the location. With so many different perspectives, art styles, even game types, most Hyrules feel different and fresh. On the flip side, when you get a similar Hyrule to what we've seen before (as shown in A Link Between Worlds) it creates this familiarity and nostalgic feeling.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
I'm definitely up for having the games take place in separate locations from Hyrule every once in a while, but taking them out entirely is a little bit of a stretch considering Hyrule is Zelda's main country.

While I'm ok with it being in Hyrule most of the time, I always enjoy new lands to explore. Koholint is fun, Holodrum has some neat locales, Labrynna feels huge and I can't wait to see what Termina is like. They could stand to shake it up a little more often. I get bored with it too sometimes.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I love it when the series mixes things up, so I'm very new open to new things. While I wouldn't be okay with losing Hyrule forever, I would like to see more stuff away from that. I've kinda been craving new things for the series for a while now. I would love to see how some lands like Termina and New Hyrule are doing now, but more than that I want a whole new place to explore. I want to see more of the lands surrounding Hyrule. A brand new place with brand new villains and brand new aspects. I just want lots of new stuff.

Djinn

and Tonic
I agree because keeping things to Hyrule is limiting. If the game is in Hyrule then there are specific locations that simply must be present like Death Mountain, Zora's Waterfall, Lake Hylia, etc. And we have been there time and time again. No need to have even more updated version with nicer resolution, that's been done at least three times in the past. If the game takes place in a new land then there is total freedom to invent a whole new world from the ground up and not have to adhere to old conventions and ideas.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
So, I may be in the minority here, but I think Ninty should STOP making Zelda games that take place in Hyrule. To be honest, exploring the same thing over and over again just isn't fun. Sure it's sort of different each time, but why not have something super new or fantastical? What do you think?

This is something that should have been done long ago. MM did it but it was the only 3d game to do so. I would have liked more side games like that set somewhere else, perhaps direct sequels to games set in hyrule where the link from that then travels to foreign lands. These games could be done in less time using the same engine and graphics just new locations and characters. It would solve the problem of the massive wait between games too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom