• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds No More Hand Holding?

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
So, I was browsing my Facebook and saw a ZU article titled "You're on your own this time! Aonuma won't be holding your hand through A Link Between Worlds", and it got me wondering what you guys think about this. The article explains it better than I could.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I think this is really great. I enjoy finding out the puzzles out on my own more than if I have hints at what I'm supposed to do. Also, Zelda is well based around the puzzle solving aspect in the dungeons, so you are actually left to figure things out yourself more rather than there being assistance.

I just hope they keep it up for the Zelda Wii U. I think the constant hints take a great deal away from the game. If they do have a hint system, leave an option to turn it off.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think Zelda's done a pretty decent job about not having legit hand-holding in its last three entries. Practically impossible to get lost, sure, but nothing major spelled out for you. Even Fi didn't tell us exactly what to do at what given time. She was just extremely annoying with how often she popped out, breaking the game flow in the process.

I'm glad the element of not immediately being sure of where to go will return, though. It's nice to have to actually explore and pay attention to the map to get a grasp of your surroundings.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
What Zelda game has more hand holding than Skyward Sword???

Oh, I don't know, both 3D GameCube games? They practically spelled out the answers through the level design.

I also don't even see what hand-holding you're talking about (unless you include linearity in that), since I very clearly went over why Fi didn't do such. She was just annoying as ****.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Hand-holding goes beyond "HEY, SEE THIS TEXT? IT'S EXPLAINING HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM!!!" It can easily be involved in the gameplay itself. If a game spells itself out by practically screaming how to overcome something through the design, that is absolutely hand-holding.

Salem

SICK
In the article Aonuma said this:
We wanted to make it a game where it would be fun to get stuck and be lost

You know what? I kinda agree, getting lost in the world of the game is part of the fun, this makes the game more memorable.

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I think that no more "hand-holding" is a great idea, really. For me Zelda has become too linear and while I have enjoyed the games, I still miss the feeling of being lost, but still having fun while lost. I think that being lost in a new world is part of Zelda's charm really, so I am quite glad to hear Aonuma say this.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
"We wanted to make it a game where it would be fun to get stuck and be lost"

this exact quote is what makes me 10 times more excited about this game. Getting lost in ALttP was 80% of my playtime with that game. there were 10 dungeons in that game, but most of the rare items, upgrades, and whatnot was ALL in the overworld, including heart pieces. With two worlds to explore, the overworld IS the game in an ALttP Hyrule! learning how to reach certain areas in both Light and Dark world is based on knowing where you are in one world, while being in the other. Transfer points are key to the secrets surrounding these two worlds.

My biggest fear with ALBW was the fact that the Developers would tell you way too much about how to reach these points, completely casting aside exactly what made ALttP so fun! I agree with both JJ and Xy! and i think you you two blended your ideas of hand holding, you would have the perfect explanation of what hand holding is! Where i do disagree is JJ's opinion on how he feels the companions were not Hand Holding. Fi's hints ranged from Vague to Useless. so she was help, but not really, however SS was such an easy game that you didnt need her. the game itself HELD YOUR HAND THE WHOLE TIME!

There was a huge Lack of Hints in TWW, but as easy as the game was.... the same applies. The whole game held your hand, but rewarded those who went out of their way to discover things, as most the secrets in that game were Random encounters (unless you were good at judging the phase of the moon), or just good with vague word puzzles that the fish would give you, so in the end i guess im saying that TWW was the Last game to actually not hold your hand!

TP had a few "WTF do i do" sections, but most ended with you feeling ******** cuz you missed something so simple!

Bottom Line: this news is very exciting to me as it seems they are trying to go back to the old ways of Zelda, where you need to find your own hints through trial and error. This game seems to be shaping into the Zelda game i have wanted since playing ALttP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom