• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds No More Hand Holding?

Salem

SICK
I hope you don't mean like the original Zelda. Traversing that game's world could be a major pain at times, since there was next so zero conveyance.
That's pretty much the only thing bad about the first game, the map is only a radar, it doesn't show you any detail about where you are.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
That's pretty much the only thing bad about the first game, the map is only a radar, it doesn't show you any detail about where you are.

I'm pretty sure the cryptic design in general was a pervasive issue throughout the experience. It's not just the lack of an in-game map, it's that there aren't any real visual clues as to where you are or where you're going in the landscape itself. Hell, it's not even possible to figure out which sections of walls to bomb and which trees burn. You just have to guess or know beforehand, and it's a real chore.

bunny

birb overlord
Like many others have said, this excites me. I think most of us could all agree that modern Zelda games are not nearly as difficult as they once were. Hopefully this will turn that around, even just a little. It'll be nice to feel like I've actually figured something out all on my own for once.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Good. Removing hint systems is only one part of the equation, though. The other part is actually confusing design.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Good. Removing hint systems is only one part of the equation, though. The other part is actually confusing design.

*buzzer sound*

Confusion is a big no-no in game design. That was probably the largest issue in the original Zelda, actually. So many things were poorly conveyed and cryptic, making it pretty frustrating to find and figure out a number things in the game. There always needs to be a balance between guidance and letting the players figure things out for themselves, and "confusing design" would shatter that balance.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
JJ makes a valid point! However making things "less obvious" could never hurt. It wouldnt be confusing but you may have to study it a lil longer than past Zelda games. That would be the better approach than simple making a game more confusing!

Oh, I don't know, both 3D GameCube games? They practically spelled out the answers through the level design.

I also don't even see what hand-holding you're talking about (unless you include linearity in that), since I very clearly went over why Fi didn't do such. She was just annoying as ****.

Are you delusional? Dude. The final dungeon in skyward sword with the bird statues. I figured it out by looking at it. Then the stone sigb infront of me told me exactly what to do. HAND HOLDING lol. Twilight princess didnt have much hand holding at all. Midna says to ask around castle town when looking for the mirror. You only visit telma's bar once or twice before that. Take a break and good luck figuring out where to go next. I didnt find much hand holding in wind waker either that or I never used the hint button. I dont understand people like you juicyJ it makes me upset sometimes.... But I can try to respect your point of view.

Posting from an iphone sorry for typos.

Last edited:

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Are you delusional? Dude. The final dungeon in skyward sword with the bird statues. I figured it out by looking at it. Then the stone sigb infront of me told me exactly what to do. HAND HOLDING lol. Twilight princess didnt have much hand holding at all. Midna says to ask around castle town when looking for the mirror. You only visit telma's bar once or twice before that. Take a break and good luck figuring out where to go next. I didnt find much hand holding in wind waker either that or I never used the hint button. I dont understand people like you juicyJ it makes me upset sometimes.... But I can try to respect your point of view.

Posting from an iphone sorry for typos.

You bring up a terrible quest to prove your case that TP does not hold your hand, that game was simple. If you didnt understand what you were too do in that game, you either didnt bother looking at your map cuz you dont play zelda games and realize that what you do on an adventure... look at your map too see where you should be going. as well as anything else you miss in the game. in the end (as i said before) when you finally figure out what your should have been doing your realize you are an IDIOT cuz you didnt already think of that!

All im getting at "mr. 7 Post" Dont walk up in here and start talking foul to one our ZDers. JJs a good dude, and makes valid points even if he doesnt reach that point the same way you do, i learned that myself. By all means welcome to ZD, have fun. But mind your Attitude please! JJ will get you if you dont!

K

Keaton_Kitsune

This makes me excited, but... They've said that they are keeping the old map of ALttP intact with a few changes... So how am I to get lost in a game that's been out for a little over 20 years and re-released countless times? It's good to see hand holding disappearing but it doesn't matter much if I'm intimately familiar with the world before the game even comes out.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This makes me excited, but... They've said that they are keeping the old map of ALttP intact with a few changes... So how am I to get lost in a game that's been out for a little over 20 years and re-released countless times? It's good to see hand holding disappearing but it doesn't matter much if I'm intimately familiar with the world before the game even comes out.

Oh, rock faces and such will definitely be changed around; there's no way a cave from generations ago is the same way or even still there.

Well it seems that the video game definition of "hand holding" varies somewhat from one person to another, that said the idea of a Zelda title being harder is very welcome and desirable, combine that with a higher difficulty setting and you get a real challenge.

On a side note for those of us who have forgotten or didn't know that there are rules here you don't have to agree or like someone's opinion but you better respect it, none of us are perfect but the greater majority of us know better than to make directly offensive or rude post's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom