• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No More 2D Zelda?

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
I'll admit I've become a bit worried. You see, with all the graphical advancements that have been made in game systems (the 3DS graphics looks amazing!), will the 2D Zelda games phase out? I know that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks have been called "2.5D" by some, indicating that they have the graphics of the 3D games, with the top-down view of the 2D ones. However, the next announced handheld Zelda is an Ocarina of Time remake...a 3D game. Now, my question is, are all handheld Zeldas going to be 3D now? I sincerely hope not. After all, over half the games in the series currently use the top-down view, if you count PH and ST. But even in those games, I've become a bit sad: the classic puzzles aren't there anymore. Sure, the 3D games have some great puzzles, and they've got their own classic puzzles now, but I really miss the sort of puzzles you'd find in LoZ, ALttP, LA, OoX, and MC. Due to graphics improvements, PH and ST didn't really have any form of the "push block to open door" sort of puzzles, and while some of the puzzles that have become Zelda classics remained, they lost a lot. So are the old Zelda puzzles going to fade out while the new Zelda puzzles remain?

yotam

Leave the chocolate here
I thought the same thing, nintendo should've keep making 2d games in my opinion. I mean, since OoT, nintendo made both 3D games and 2D game. since TP they've started making 3D games and 2.5D games, which I think is wrong. What I think they need to do is to make 3D games and 2.5D games and 2D games that's way they'll make us, Zelda fans, happy and keep the old puzzles and the newer ones.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
They should definitely keep making 2D Zeldas, but Nintendo just assumes no one wants them because they are archaic. It would be great to bring classic 2D Zeldas to a new audience, or for nostalgic purposes.

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
I hope they continue making them. Although I prefer the 3D Zeldas, I still enjoy playing 2D ones. I'm not that fond of the 2.5D style of PH and ST though. They basically function similarly to 2D games, but with a lack of charm. Whether 2D Zelda will make a return, I can't say. Lately there seems to be a trend of 2D games coming back like New Super Mario Bros. or Sonic 4 so there's still a possibility. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom