• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Larger Roster for Smash Bros. 4?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
This is what annoys me, People don't explain why these third party characters should be in Super Smash Bros. What Valid reason do they have for being in Super Smash Bros.? Reasons like promoting said Third Party character's Game is valid, but as for reasons like "Because he's awsome!" just doesn't cut it unless the developers agree with the fanbase, which was the exact case for Sonic being in Brawl. If Myiamoto didn't agree with Sonic's inclusion, then I don't think Sonic would of made it into the game.

I was just giving examples of characters that other people want and fit the criteria. I wouldn't mind Megaman or Bomberman playable, but I believe that Rayman is extremely possible. Rayman Legends is a Wii-U exclusive game and Rayman's moves in this and Rayman Origins are PERFECT for a Smash Bros. Game. Ubisoft have been extremely close friends with Nintendo as of late. I think two criticality acclaimed platforming games shows how awesome have can be. There is nothing wrong with one or two third party characters because of this, but SSB4 cannot contain too many characters that have been put in "because it'd be cool".

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I like that SSB4's roster will stay more or less the same as Brawl's. My disappointment though is this quote from Sakurai:
Sakurai said:
There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive.
Game Balance. Any competitive player of Brawl, or any player who likes to lurk in the competitive scene for whatever reason will know that SSBB was killed in the tourney scene because the game was intentionally made to be "balanced". What I'm getting at can be applied to recent game called Soul Calibur V -- with one shot at that game I could tell that aPat is easily S tier and everyone else grovels at his feet.

Okay, what I'm trying to say is, if Sakurai along with Namco Bandai is trying to balance every character, I know (or at least I feel) that there is going to be that one or two character(s) that will clearly be above the rest of the cast. Just like Meta Knight (SSB:cool:. Just like Alpha Patroklos (SCV). This is a huge problem with game balancing, because it can never be made "just right". Perhaps for the developers, but if you want a great reception and long term sponsoring, you'll have to get every character as close to each other as possible, meaning the gap between that one or two S tier characters and the A tier should be almost marginal to marginal at worst. SCV saved this because aPat is a HEAVY execution character -- if you can't pull off his JFs you're not a good aPat player. Brawl didn't, however, since MK can be abused by anyone and thus he earned a ban from tourney play earlier this year (or was it late last year).

So yeah, I repeat: I don't care so much for the roster size, but I do care for the characters' different abilities. I really don't want a repeat of Meta Knight -- they dominate the scene and things just get boring. If there is going to be a clearly better character in the roster, make them a technical type of player, one that requires a lot of execution.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Brawl didn't, however, since MK can be abused by anyone and thus he earned a ban from tourney play earlier this year (or was it late last year).

To memory, he was an optional ban in November/December 2011, but a mandatory one in January 2012. So both are right. :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom