• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors No Full Voice Acting for Hyrule Warriors

Chelsie

tap the galaxy oh (◔ิз◔ิ♪
Whether or not Nintendo implements voice acting will have divided opinions regardless of what happens. Voice acting would really be a step further in Zelda, showing that they can still maintain original content with the added bonus of showing fans that times have changed since the original game. Something like the new Persona 3 Movie is a good comparison, for the sheer fact that the protagonist in the game was mostly silent with the exception of a few words, but the movie implemented voice acting. It was a good change to show two sides of the protagonist; something I think Nintendo could do.

Zelda attempts to do the same with its feet firmly planted in the static past. It's almost kind of sad.
It's a really big shame that they haven't really done it before, however, if Nintendo wishes to leave out the voice acting, then I think they will eventually see that other games have taken that step further, and that it is usually worth the risk. Obviously that's not the case for all games, but I think Nintendo could pull it off.

Chelsie said:
It's a really big shame that they haven't really done it before, however, if Nintendo wishes to leave out the voice acting, then I think they will eventually see that other games have taken that step further, and that it is usually worth the risk. Obviously that's not the case for all games, but I think Nintendo could pull it off.

In hindsight, my original post was more "knee-jerk" reactionary than anything. My prime problem with this announcement specifically was that I was hoping for Hyrule Warriors to take more progressive gaming liberties that we've yet to see, and from the looks of it won't ever see, from the mainstream Zelda games. A more serious art-style coupled with intense action had given me the impression that Hyrule Warriors would do what other Zelda games couldn't, or just wouldn't, do. When it's announced that Zelda Wii U won't have voice acting, I honestly won't be that surprised or disappointed, because that's just the way it (unfortunately, to me) goes. Dynasty Warriors is a series that has, in the modern age, featured an enormous amount of voice acting to compliment its setting and atmosphere. Just the fact that Hyrule Warriors will be missing that not only deals a blow to what the series (DW) is known for now, but also takes away the seemingly single opportunity we'll ever have to hear voices, albeit unofficial, of our favorite characters from over the years.

I wouldn't be surprised if voice acting was in the original idea, but was just shot down cold in its tracks by Aonuma. I should mention that I'm not by any means an advocate of Link speaking, and the conversation as to if he should be his own character or just a simple avatar is a different topic entirely. But I don't think that, especially given Hyrule Warrior's current "spin-off" status, having voices just for once for the non-Link characters was a blasphemous or terrible idea.

Last edited:

Chelsie

tap the galaxy oh (◔ิз◔ิ♪
I wouldn't be surprised if voice acting was in the original idea, but was just shot down cold in its tracks by Aonuma. I should mention that I'm not by any means an advocate of Link speaking, and the conversation as to if he should be his own character or just a simple avatar is a different topic entirely. But I don't think that, especially given Hyrule Warrior's current "spin-off" status, having voices just for once for the non-Link characters was a blasphemous or terrible idea.

I completely agree. It would've been nice to see voice acting in a Zelda game that isn't going to entirely effect the mainstream series. It's a shame that it's not happening, and like you said, it could've brought upon an "evolved" feeling to the franchise.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Initially I was in support of no voice acting in HW, I thought maybe hey will save it for Zelda U. Having watched HW videos of gameplay and knowing that this is the only Warrors title that has no voice acting I have changed my mind.

This game will bring Warriors and Zelda fans to buy it. It's sending the wrong message: that Zelda doesn't do voice acting. This is not the right message to send. New characters like Lana and Cia, Wizzro and Valga could benefit from being voiced. They are brand new and therefore no fan will have imagined hearing them before. Not only that, link and Zelda and Impa all have new designs so why should they not speak when they have not yet been imagined by players to sound a certain way. In Dissidia FF all kinds of characters from old games had voices given to them and there was no complaints about voice acting in those games.

This is a modern world where 3D HD home console titles need voice acting to keep up. Hopefully we will all be too distracted in looking at Cia's breasts...I mean...engrossed in the action, to notice the absence of voice acting to the point where it has a negative impact on the game.

Not entirely sure what the end result would be, as I'm speaking purely in hypotheticals here, but I'm starting to think that a side-title presents the perfect opportunity to "test run" voice acting. Conversely, though, I can see such an idea failing miserably. They're probably afraid that the game wouldn't sell well, or fans would view the hypothetical fully-voiced characters in Hyrule Warriors as "too different" from what they're used to seeing in the main series. I guess it makes sense from a sales perspective that they wouldn't want to risk screwing something up if they steered too far from the series' core elements (such as no voice acting).

Perhaps it'd be best if Nintendo presented a set of "mini side-titles" or a couple of demo videos at one of their game conferences that showcased voice-acting and let the fans decide. They wouldn't be official, canon games or anything, so there'd be no harm done to the main series or the timeline, or whatever. A better way to describe the hypothetical "mini side titles" is "test run demos."

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Perhaps it'd be best if Nintendo presented a set of "mini side-titles" or a couple of demo videos at one of their game conferences that showcased voice-acting and let the fans decide. They wouldn't be official, canon games or anything, so there'd be no harm done to the main series or the timeline, or whatever. A better way to describe the hypothetical "mini side titles" is "test run demos."

A cowardly method I must say. If they are to bring change they must implement it, no dilly dallying around, just straight up do it. You can't pander to the zelda fans, they are a divided group which contains many people that will hate and complain about any game Nintendo puts out. Some don't like toon shading, some don't like realistic graphics, but the clear majority of fans want voice acting as is evident from surveys conducted in the past. Putting voice acting in would be a wise decision because it would also attract new players. A story based big game with no voice acting is a turn off for allot of people, it makes the game seem cheap. I have been asked by people (who played zelda under my instruction): 'is Nintendo too cheap to pay for voice acting?'

Voice acting needs implementing ASAP.

The only potential issue I see with a lack of voice acting for Hyrule Warriors is perhaps some people value *hearing* any messages given during relatively quick-paced Dynasty Warriors gameplay. Necessary information (i.e. controls, objectives) are generally not presented that way though. If I absolutely needed to hear information while I'm playing in order to play well, then I would be upset by this...so I understand this viewpoint, though few people seem to have argued it.

I do agree with the general consensus here that wanting to keep Zelda "traditional" by not having voice acting is pretty silly. I don't believe the characters' seriousness or The Legend of Zelda's seriousness is undermined if characters (or even Link) are allowed to speak.

On the other hand, I've never been excited about voice *acting* in general. Spoken messages are cool if they are a necessary or useful gameplay mechanic, but usually these aren't acted...just spoken. While I don't dislike voice acting in games, going through the effort to include it in games is not particularly progressive. It'd be better to have the money/time spent on programming additional sounds like that be focused on more creative efforts.

Last edited:
A cowardly method I must say. If they are to bring change they must implement it, no dilly dallying around, just straight up do it. You can't pander to the zelda fans, they are a divided group which contains many people that will hate and complain about any game Nintendo puts out. Some don't like toon shading, some don't like realistic graphics, but the clear majority of fans want voice acting as is evident from surveys conducted in the past. Putting voice acting in would be a wise decision because it would also attract new players. A story based big game with no voice acting is a turn off for allot of people, it makes the game seem cheap. I have been asked by people (who played zelda under my instruction): 'is Nintendo too cheap to pay for voice acting?'

Voice acting needs implementing ASAP.
Without fans—those for and AGAINST voice acting—there would be no money; without money there would be no Zelda. If they're afraid to take the risk, then a trial run or demo showcasing just how great voice acting would be if properly implemented seems to be a step in the right direction. Fan input is a powerful tool. The world of business is not always so easy as "just do it"; this isn't Nike.

I couldn't care less what they did. It's Zelda, and it has yet to disappoint me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom