• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo's Next Handheld?

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
I haven't bought a 3DS for one reason only: I know that sooner rather than later something new and just as expensive is going to magically pop out onto the scene. I don't know how long the 3DS was out when, BAM, what do you know - the XL came out.

Anyways, though I love Zelda and would think it awesome to find most if not all games available on the handheld system, I still wouldn't buy one at this stage.

My question is when do you think in general the next handheld for Nintendo would come out? Any ideas on what in the world it might be?

But more than that, is there another out there like me, who, though self-admitting losing out on some fun, will still not go the step to buy the 3DS
because of Nintendo's habits it put something out...then another thing just like it but upgraded for the same cost? I mean why buy 2 when you can buy 1?

It's still already too late in the game (pun?) even this recent to go and buy a 3DS in my opinion ..just a waste of resources.

Patience is the name of the game.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
The 3ds and xl are the same thing.
I don't think that there's going to be a new system for a while.

D

Deleted member 14134

The 3DS will be around for awhile but a new model like the 3dsi XL 64 U colour will probably come out soon.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
The 3ds and xl are the same thing.
I don't think that there's going to be a new system for a while.

Mm. That's my point. The same thing, and look how quickly one came out after the other.
I'd say give it a year...a year and something new will be here. Something else that everyone just has to have. :dry:

The 3DS will be around for awhile but a new model like the 3dsi XL 64 U colour will probably come out soon.

haha! Oh man...

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
The age old dilemma; should I buy it now to play the games, or wait for the inevitable price-drop/re-model? :P

It takes a really really good game to make me bite without waiting for a few price-drops/re-models. I like to just wait for the type of deal you can't say no to, and pick it up then. The newest model is always best to have, sure, but some one-off specials just can't be ignored!

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Thing is, with any new console the backwards compatibility will only really extend to the previous iteration. The DS was backwards compatible with Gameboy Advance, the 3DS is backwards compatible with DS, but not GBA. And it's a fair assumption that whenever a new handheld console comes out it will only extend backwards to the 3DS games, and not the DS ones. So if you have any desire to play DS games as well as 3DS ones - and you don't already own a DS, I highly recommend you get one of the 3DS models. If you want to wait until a specific customization of the 3DS, then that's one thing, but intending to wait for the next generation to get a 2 for 1 deal, well... then be prepared to not be able to play any regular DS games on it - just saying.

Also in terms of the various versions of the 3DS, I'd say there is probably not going to be much happening there. Pretty much every need is covered. The regular version fits nicely into your pocket, the XL version gives you a larger screen to enojy your games and the 2DS is specifically made for really young kids who shouldn't yet be subjected to 3D video due to their eyes still developing - plus it's more solid and therefore tolerates more of the rough-handling little kids are prone to do to their toys. Also it's cheaper than the other two, and therefore can appeal to those looking to save money.

Fig

The Altruist
Like misskitten said earlier, if you are simply waiting for the next handheld console to go get some kind of 2-for-1 package, then it will be your loss for doing and skipping out on another generation. Ever since the DS, each handheld generation only was able to have backwards compatibility with the previous generation. The DS could support GBA games but not GB/GBC games, the 3DS could support only DS and 3DS games, and I'm sure the next generation of handheld gaming will only go as far as the 3DS titles. As for a price drop on the 3DS, the system has gone through a price-drop already with the retail price of $169.99 right now and if that's still a bit much for you, then I recommend the 2DS as it functions practically the same as a 3DS but $40 cheaper for $129.99. I really do hope you do decide to pick a system in the 3DS/2DS family as you are going to miss out on another generation of portable gaming simply because you risked for a 2-for-1 type of deal for the next handheld console after the 3DS.

Like what everyone else said before me, it's best to just get a 3DS right now since it's not as expensive as it was back in 2011. If you want something even cheaper, then there's the 2DS, but that depends if you want to play games that take advantage of the 3D gimmick. It's best to get a 3DS/2DS right now since it'll probably be a few years until the next handheld comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom