• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo's $60 Re-releases

Thats basically what I mean by getting away with it, because people keep buying it.
I wouldn't put the blame 100% on the consumer though, its also a bit on Nintendo for caving in. Nintendo knows for ages now that there are enough people out there that buy every turd they put out. Its the last few years I feel they are kinda slacking a bit too much.

Kinda bull****. Most decent computers/laptop can run Dolphin just fine if they want. And up scaling is literally just a slider in the emulator. You don't need to learn much at all to emulate a game to be better than the console version.
If you wanna stay ignorant to it or hate emulation for different reasons thats fine and all, but don't pretend.

Wow, that's some real arrogance right there. I paid a thousand dollars for my laptop, and it refuses to run Metroid Prime at more than 5fps. Yeah, I may have been stupid to listen to my mother when she told me to get a Mac because they're more "durable" (yeah, I know I shouldn't have listened to her), but that's the point. I didn't know any better, so I paid a lot of money and got a computer that certainly can't run Skyward Sword. There are a lot of people in my situation.

For the record, I love emulation - I've been doing it for years - I just happen to know that it isn't viable for a lot of people to emulate games beyond the Gamecube era.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
then I don't know what to tell you since I saw quite a few of them being buy it now
and yes, I already acknowledged that whining is pointless, I was only addressing how you said the consumer just has 2 options

And you mentioned getting the game used, which I had addressed in my original post. People can wait around for a deal if they want, but those are either rare depending on how low someone can justify paying for a $60 product or readily available at Walmart with a $10 discount, unless people still can't stomach $50 dollars for a remaster. But since you're claiming people can find the game used at $45 on eBay, then once again, you're still really only saving $5 for a questionable open copy. I still fail to see what the grand third option is that beats a discounted price since people still think it's too much anyway. Either buy it and try to save some money or don't because Nintendo is the devil and find some lesser means to playing it. I just can't justify any other way for the average consumer if pricing is really the issue, which it clearly isn't because only a select few are actually angry despite their options.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
And you mentioned getting the game used, which I had addressed in my original post. People can wait around for a deal if they want, but those are either rare depending on how low someone can justify paying for a $60 product or readily available at Walmart with a $10 discount, unless people still can't stomach $50 dollars for a remaster. But since you're claiming people can find the game used at $45 on eBay, then once again, you're still really only saving $5 for a questionable open copy. I still fail to see what the grand third option is that beats a discounted price since people still think it's too much anyway. Either buy it and try to save some money or don't because Nintendo is the devil and find some lesser means to playing it. I just can't justify any other way for the average consumer if pricing is really the issue, which it clearly isn't because only a select few are actually angry despite their options.
if you're going by walmart's prices then yeah, it's not much, but for everywhere else, 45 still sounds better than 60, especially if you wanna go digital where that 60 is there to stay except for that once in a blue moon sale where they shave off 8 dollars or whatever
you mentioned it but you dismissed it when saying people only have 2 options even though yes, people can just save the 5 dollars, and yes, people can just settle for the older version if they want to play the base game and not go for the more souped up version, or they can go the emulation route like a couple people brought up

these games selling millions to the average consumer goes w/o saying, we're all expecting that, though it doesn't get rid of the alternatives that specific people may want to take still

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
if you're going by walmart's prices then yeah, it's not much, but for everywhere else, 45 still sounds better than 60, especially if you wanna go digital where that 60 is there to stay except for that once in a blue moon sale where they shave off 8 dollars or whatever
you mentioned it but you dismissed it when saying people only have 2 options even though yes, people can just save the 5 dollars, and yes, people can just settle for the older version if they want to play the base game and not go for the more souped up version, or they can go the emulation route like a couple people brought up

these games selling millions to the average consumer goes w/o saying, we're all expecting that, though it doesn't get rid of the alternatives that specific people may want to take still

There isn't a massive stock of used copies at $45 for everyone though, so it's hardly THE option for the majority of consumers.

Also, my point was never that these games sell millions. You're disregarding everything I've said and fixating on that one thing. I never said there weren't alternatives, I just don't necessarily see these alternatives as better or suitable for most. Especially when the alternatives are play the original, which isn't an option for most and defeats the purpose of the remaster, play it on PC, which isn't ideal for most, or save 5 dollars and get it used because 5 dollars more for a brand new product is highway robbery...

These are alternatives for disgruntled people, not the average person who actually wants the game, which is why I question whether pricing is really the issue here if 5 dollars is really the difference between being a rip off or being a justified purchase. And if the other options were truly the way to go for some people, then Skyward Sword HD isn't for them and they don't need to buy it.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
There isn't a massive stock of used copies at $45 for everyone though, so it's hardly THE option for the majority of consumers.

Also, my point was never that these games sell millions. You're disregarding everything I've said and fixating on that one thing. I never said there weren't alternatives, I just don't necessarily see these alternatives as better or suitable for most. Especially when the alternatives are play the original, which isn't an option for most and defeats the purpose of the remaster, play it on PC, which isn't ideal for most, or save 5 dollars and get it used because 5 dollars more for a brand new product is highway robbery...

These are alternatives for disgruntled people, not the average person who actually wants the game, which is why I question whether pricing is really the issue here if 5 dollars is really the difference between being a rip off or being a justified purchase. And if the other options were truly the way to go for some people, then Skyward Sword HD isn't for them and they don't need to buy it.
b/c that one thing was the only thing I wanted to comment on, hence why it was the only thing I quoted, you mentioned said alternatives then disregarded them
we're just going in circles, rationalizing the price wasn't what I was responding to though

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
b/c that one thing was the only thing I wanted to comment on, hence why it was the only thing I quoted, you mentioned said alternatives then disregarded them
we're just going in circles, rationalizing the price wasn't what I was responding to though

Yes, because you keep bringing up the fact that "everybody knows these things sell millions" which I've already elaborated wasn't the point of my post and I've already explained why I disregarded those other options. I don't understand what the issue here is. You asked me before what my point was and I told you. You said you didn't understand my argument, and I elaborated on it. You said I disregarded things I mentioned, and I told you why. What's the problem exactly?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Yes, because you keep bringing up the fact that "everybody knows these things sell millions" which I've already elaborated wasn't the point of my post and I've already explained why I disregarded those other options. I don't understand what the issue here is. You asked me before what my point was and I told you. You said you didn't understand my argument, and I elaborated on it. You said I disregarded things I mentioned, and I told you why. What's the problem exactly?
-your point was "to rationalize the price point", which I think I brought up the selling millions thing as a way of saying you didn't need to rationalize the price in my responses, or rather your point wasn't what I was responding to, but I admit now that it just made for some unnecessary confusion
-I took your $5 thing as an oversimplification originally, but I wasn't factoring walmart for that so there's nothing else to say there
-acknowledging that those options are there for someone at all is what I was getting at, the average consumer isn't likely to go those routes yeah, but your original phrase was "That's really anyone's 2 options", but now you say "These are alternatives for disgruntled people", which of course I'm not denying, but that's all, it's the point of "Either buy it at Walmart for 10 dollars less, or get screwed" when those aren't the only options there is that I took issue w/
-this thread was a can of worms waiting to be cracked open

Kinda bull****. Most decent computers/laptop can run Dolphin just fine if they want.
That's a maybe. Gamecube games via dolphin is accessible for many but not everyone. There's quite a few older computers capable of being a daily driver but not good enough to run Gamecube on dolphin.
Wii on dolphin is a totally different beast and needs a relatively new computer to be playable.
For me personally I can do Gamecube via dolphin relatively well but Wii via dolphin is 2 frames a second and graphical issues. The computer isnot that old but not good enough for Wii.

There is a learning curve to optimise dolphin properly. It is not a large one thankfully.

Also as an aside it can be tricky to get a controller to work well with dolphin. But given a little time most people can work it out.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
-your point was "to rationalize the price point", which I think I brought up the selling millions thing as a way of saying you didn't need to rationalize the price in my responses, or rather your point wasn't what I was responding to, but I admit now that it just made for some unnecessary confusion
-I took your $5 thing as an oversimplification originally, but I wasn't factoring walmart for that so there's nothing else to say there
-acknowledging that those options are there for someone at all is what I was getting at, the average consumer isn't likely to go those routes yeah, but your original phrase was "That's really anyone's 2 options", but now you say "These are alternatives for disgruntled people", which of course I'm not denying, but that's all, it's the point of "Either buy it at Walmart for 10 dollars less, or get screwed" when those aren't the only options there is that I took issue w/
-this thread was a can of worms waiting to be cracked open

Considering many people think it's a rip off and make comparisons to other games without understanding why things are priced the way they are on other platforms, I'd say it was necessary to state. Because "they sell a lot" is a major oversimplification.

Though I admit, I may not have conveyed what I meant by the whole "or get screwed" thing properly. But as I explained after, the other options just seem inferior than the product Nintendo is offering with Skyward Sword HD. So personally, yeah, I think you'd be getting screwed going any other route than just simply buying a brand new copy at whatever deal one can manage, which right now, is Walmart for any Nintendo game.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Considering many people think it's a rip off and make comparisons to other games without understanding why things are priced the way they are on other platforms, I'd say it was necessary to state. Because "they sell a lot" is a major oversimplification.

Though I admit, I may not have conveyed what I meant by the whole "or get screwed" thing properly. But as I explained after, the other options just seem inferior than the product Nintendo is offering with Skyward Sword HD. So personally, yeah, I think you'd be getting screwed going any other route than just simply buying a brand new copy at whatever deal one can manage, which right now, is Walmart for any Nintendo game.
I didn't want to touch on that point b/c that's a conversation in of itself, at the end of the day it is what it is

of course people would be missing out in some way by not having the newer version, but that's just up to the individual on how much they care that they're not experiencing all the luxuries of it

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I didn't want to touch on that point b/c that's a conversation in of itself, at the end of the day it is what it is

of course people would be missing out in some way by not having the newer version, but that's just up to the individual on how much they care that they're not experiencing all the luxuries of it

I agree on both points. It's absolutely up to the individual what they want to do at the end of the day. I just don't agree with any of these being serious or legitimate alternatives for someone who actually wants Skyward Sword HD because it completely misses the point and doesn't justify the complaints. That's all I'm trying to get at.

Nintendo ought to sell them as high as they can manage from a financial point of view. I don't really mind since we get quality games at higher resolutions with quality of life enhancements and portability

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom