• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo

Pen

The game is on!
Nintendo (may it live forever) is the most extraordinary company in the world man! Nothing is even nearly as good as Nintendo (may it live forever). They have the absolute best game series, such as: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kid Icarus, Earth Bound, Fire Emblem, Ice Climber, Metroid, F-Zero, Pikmin and Super Smash Bros! Not to mention all of the extraordinarily amazing consoles such as: NES, SNES, GB, GBC, N64, GBA, GBASP, NGC, GBM, NDS, NDSL, NWii, NDSi, NDSiXL, N3DS and the upcoming NWiiU! Now that really is an awesome gaming company. Nothing beats Nintendo (may it live forever)!

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Wait, you hate XBOX because of idiots? You do know that same goes to Playstation right? You can't just shove that to one company.

And yes, I am just as surprised as you are to see a thread like this on a forum dedicated to a Nintendo product.

I'm talking about idiots only on Xbox who waste their money on Call of Duty for years on end and make themselves believe that it's the best game ever. It's kind of scary on how much they do play since Xbox has very bad hardware and breaks so often, plus crappy support from Microsoft.

No, I hate anything made by Microsoft. They've put me through hell for several years until I finally got a Mac. And they ruined Rareware, which made most of my favorite games of all time.

Garo

Boy Wonder
The problem is that people equate consoles with the games on it, which is something you cannot do with Sony and Microsoft. Sony and Microsoft do not produce games themselves, they hire second-party developers to make exclusives for them. Nintendo on the other hand makes their own games. In this vein, Nintendo is the greatest console gaming company out there. The Zelda series, the Metroid series (of which the Prime games are the best), the Kirby series (Epic Yarn was great, I don't care what others say), the DK series (DK Country Returns, heck yeah) and the myriad of Mario series (including Kart, Super Mario X, Paper Mario, New Super Mario Bros. X, and others). Plenty of always great games, as well as reasonable - but still pretty weak - third party support. Games like Epic Mickey stand out (a film student's dream).

That said, Sony has a great line up. The Uncharted series (made by Naughty Dog, which is owned by Sony, so second-party) is very alluring, though I haven't made the plunge yet. MGS4 is one of the games of the past decade that I shoot myself for missing out on, and I plan to get my hands on it as soon as I have the funds. Other than a few other dark horse titles (Heavy Rain comes to mind), though, I don't have that much love for them. Microsoft has never really had me. Halo was a great game; the series, not so much. Gears is far too gory for my taste.

But, with that said, I will always - always - prefer the PC to any console. PC gaming is far more versatile as its limits are constantly evolving, whereas a PS3 has the same limits now as it did when it launched in 2006. Shooters control best on the PC. And the best devs do their best work for the PC. Bethesda, BioWare and Valve have my undying love, with Portal 2 being my (new) vote for the best game of all time, with Ocarina (it's too revolutionary to be excluded), Elder Scrolls IV and Mass Effect 2 not too far behind.

BUT - there are some experiences that you just cannot have on the PC. And that is precisely why I will always buy the Nintendo console when I can. Motion controls don't work on the PC, and Sony and Microsoft's motion controls are mostly gimmicks. Hence, I have a Wii, for games like Epic Mickey, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy (both), and others. Double screen technology with the power of a console? Yeah, sorry PC, gotta have that.

TL;DR? Nintendo will always have my money for console and handheld gaming, because they offer novel experiences. Otherwise, 90% of my gaming is PC.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
The problem is that people equate consoles with the games on it, which is something you cannot do with Sony and Microsoft. Sony and Microsoft do not produce games themselves, they hire second-party developers to make exclusives for them. Nintendo on the other hand makes their own games. In this vein, Nintendo is the greatest console gaming company out there. The Zelda series, the Metroid series (of which the Prime games are the best), the Kirby series (Epic Yarn was great, I don't care what others say), the DK series (DK Country Returns, heck yeah) and the myriad of Mario series (including Kart, Super Mario X, Paper Mario, New Super Mario Bros. X, and others). Plenty of always great games, as well as reasonable - but still pretty weak - third party support. Games like Epic Mickey stand out (a film student's dream).

That said, Sony has a great line up. The Uncharted series (made by Naughty Dog, which is owned by Sony, so second-party) is very alluring, though I haven't made the plunge yet. MGS4 is one of the games of the past decade that I shoot myself for missing out on, and I plan to get my hands on it as soon as I have the funds. Other than a few other dark horse titles (Heavy Rain comes to mind), though, I don't have that much love for them. Microsoft has never really had me. Halo was a great game; the series, not so much. Gears is far too gory for my taste.

But, with that said, I will always - always - prefer the PC to any console. PC gaming is far more versatile as its limits are constantly evolving, whereas a PS3 has the same limits now as it did when it launched in 2006. Shooters control best on the PC. And the best devs do their best work for the PC. Bethesda, BioWare and Valve have my undying love, with Portal 2 being my (new) vote for the best game of all time, with Ocarina (it's too revolutionary to be excluded), Elder Scrolls IV and Mass Effect 2 not too far behind.

BUT - there are some experiences that you just cannot have on the PC. And that is precisely why I will always buy the Nintendo console when I can. Motion controls don't work on the PC, and Sony and Microsoft's motion controls are mostly gimmicks. Hence, I have a Wii, for games like Epic Mickey, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy (both), and others. Double screen technology with the power of a console? Yeah, sorry PC, gotta have that.

TL;DR? Nintendo will always have my money for console and handheld gaming, because they offer novel experiences. Otherwise, 90% of my gaming is PC.

Well actually Xbox's Kinect is original since you don't use a controller at all. You are the controller! The PS3, yeah. That is nothing more than just a copy of the Wii's.

And for the record, I've actually heard that you can hook up a Wiimote and use it as your mouse with Bluetooth.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Well actually Xbox's Kinect is original since you don't use a controller at all. You are the controller! The PS3, yeah. That is nothing more than just a copy of the Wii's.

And for the record, I've actually heard that you can hook up a Wiimote and use it as your mouse with Bluetooth.

I've played the Kinect, though, and the removal of controllers - a novel and original take, sure - is a bad idea. You lose basic function like the ability to move. Moving in gaming is simple with a controller, but annoying and bizarre when you would have to run in place. As such, it leads to a lot of "on rails" games that would best be suited to action/adventure format where you would explore. "Fable: The Journey" is an excellent example of the Kinect's failures. Take this massive game world, stick a roller coaster in it and make players make weird swishy motions with their arms to shoot things on screen. Is that Fable? Not really. It's an arcade game. The Kinect has its niche, but it doesn't offer experiences good enough to warrant its use.

This is all my opinion, of course.

I've heard about the Wii Remote thing, but Nintendo won't develop for the PC, and I respect developers too much to cheese them by not buying the console. ;)

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
I never really understood this drawing lines in the sand method of picking a gaming company and staying with them only. What is wrong with liking two or three consoles? Just because someone owns one does not mean that they are not allowed to have another. I see no real need to maintain such a strict level of brand loyalty as to limit myself to only Nintendo or Sony.

I agree with you, and see no problem with liking several different gaming companies, but with today's economy, you're almost forced to just select one. I might actually enjoy other brands if I was able to, but with the economy quickly landsliding towards ruin, I have to choose one and stick with it. Also, Nintendo systems are commonly cheaper, so buying a Nintendo system is usually the more financial choice, although the Wii U looks as if it will break out of that trend.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I'm talking about idiots only on Xbox who waste their money on Call of Duty for years on end and make themselves believe that it's the best game ever. It's kind of scary on how much they do play since Xbox has very bad hardware and breaks so often, plus crappy support from Microsoft.

No, I hate anything made by Microsoft. They've put me through hell for several years until I finally got a Mac. And they ruined Rareware, which made most of my favorite games of all time.

Well, PlayStation has it's fair share of Call of Duty idiots too. They're not exclusive to Xbox.

And about Rare, Microsoft didn't ruin them. Rareware was ruined by the Stamper Bros who drove the company into the ground with their constant delays and failed to meet developmenmt deadlines more than once. That's why Nintendo sold them to Microsoft. They ruined themselves.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Well, PlayStation has it's fair share of Call of Duty idiots too. They're not exclusive to Xbox.

And about Rare, Microsoft didn't ruin them. Rareware was ruined by the Stamper Bros who drove the company into the ground with their constant delays and failed to meet developmenmt deadlines more than once. That's why Nintendo sold them to Microsoft. They ruined themselves.

REALLY? All these years I thought it was because Microsoft offered to buy them and they took it. I think they delayed Banjo Kazooie by a few months, and they delayed Jet Force Gemini twice. But the games ended up being extremely good since they were delayed. Although I can see that it must've annoyed a lot of publishers and such. I also had no idea that Nintendo actually gave them up too. I thought it was just Rareware selling themselves out.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I lost interest for Playstation back when I had a PSone, and I have yet to find a reason to give Playstation another try when all my favorite games either are on or exclusive for either Nintendo or X-box. Zelda is not the only nintendo exclusive game that I love, I also love Donkey Kong, Mario, Banjo Kazooie. I do however agree that Zelda is the best out of the nintendo lot :P

GaroXicon - for some reason this is the first time I've heard of Fable: The Journey, and I'm a major Fable-fan... just checked out the gameplay demo and OMG they are RUINING Fable with that game!!!

Last edited:
They have the absolute best game series, such as: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kid Icarus, Earth Bound, Fire Emblem, Ice Climber, Metroid, F-Zero, Pikmin and Super Smash Bros! Not to mention all of the extraordinarily amazing consoles such as: NES, SNES, GB, GBC, N64, GBA, GBASP, NGC, GBM, NDS, NDSL, NWii, NDSi, NDSiXL, N3DS and the upcoming NWiiU! Now that really is an awesome gaming company. Nothing beats Nintendo (may it live forever)!

To be fair, Ice Climber is really just a game, and not a series. Also, a lot of those consoles are just redesigns of previously mentioned consoles, like the GBA and GBASP.

Speaking of those games, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't tried to breath new life into some of those series. Two of the three Earthbound games haven't even been released in the U.S. A U.S. port or a new entry in the series would be a breathe of fresh air from the flood of sequels and remakes for Nintendo's more prominent franchises like Mario and Zelda.

Anyways, in response to the topic, I think Nintendo definitely has more going for it than just Zelda. It seemed, for a long time that Zelda, Mario, and Metroid were sort of the "big three" that Nintendo focused on, but I'm glad to see them releasing new Kirby, DKC, and Kid Icarus games.

i still support the company i love a lot of the games they produce Kirby, Star Fox, Zelda, i'm even a fan of the Earthbound series, the only thing i feel let down by Nintendo is that some of their Franchises are now lost, F-Zero is a good example, the last game that came on there was back in the times of the GBA and it was a Japan only release, Star Fox is something else, yea we're getting Star Fox 64 on the 3DS but that's only a remake, and Earthbound is literally over and done with which brings me down because i've never been much of an RPG person, Earthbound is the only RPG that has actually grabbed me besides Paper Mario 64

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Okay. I see that I jumped to my own conclusions, and now, after seeing how many people are disagreeing with me, I looked through the old post (which was very short) and now have come up with the following:
I spent a few years with the Playstation, the original one, and the games I played nvr let me down when I was 5 or 6.
I never owned an X-Box, and the only gam series I've played on that, Halo, is one of the best.
I've spnt most of my life with Nintendo Systems, but I haven't played many of the classic games, i.e. F-Zero, Starfox, Donkey Kong (if you don't count the original I'v playd on of these), Mother, Kid Icarus, etc. I grew up with Kirby, Captain Olimar, Mario (actually, Warioland), and Link. Th most recent Mario games, the ones I actually play, hav kind of gone downhill from the pld ones. What Nintndo should do to get hihgher ratings is bring out old game series (Animal Crodssing, Pikmin, etc) and make new squels with new ideas. Just bring back the classics, not come up with stupid new ideas. Example: who wants to see Pikmin on the 3DS?
I hope that explains my biased decision about a plumber with a funkey moustache jumping on the had of a dragon-ish thing.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
REALLY? All these years I thought it was because Microsoft offered to buy them and they took it. I think they delayed Banjo Kazooie by a few months, and they delayed Jet Force Gemini twice. But the games ended up being extremely good since they were delayed. Although I can see that it must've annoyed a lot of publishers and such. I also had no idea that Nintendo actually gave them up too. I thought it was just Rareware selling themselves out.

No, wait a minute, I got something wrong there. Nintendo owned 49% of Rare and Microsoft bought the other 51%. They actually had no option but to sell their part. But on the other side, Rare was still falling apart by that time (I'll build on that on the next paragraph). So, yeah, you weren't so wrong afterall. Microsoft did offer to buy Rare, but they didn't destroy them. Sorry for the mishap.

Yes, the games were excellent because of the delays. But unfortunately, what is good for gamers isn't necessarily the best thing for companies. Not only the delays, but the Stampers also fired some of the staff who worked in Rare's best games, including most of the people who worked on GoldenEye 007. They later went on to form their own studio (Free Radical Design, which I believe broke a few years ago) who made tha Time Slitters series. By this time, almost nobody from the old team is there.

So, I guess the old Rareware was just too awesome to exist.

Nintendo is an okay gaming company. Hell they ended the great video game crash of the 80's. But today Zelda is the only thing keeping me with them. If it wasnt for Zelda I would be with Playstation. How many of you agree.:):(

Another three series are Mario,Metroid and Donkey Kong.
These 4 series are 4 of the very best across all systems.

They all many qualities about them.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
No, wait a minute, I got something wrong there. Nintendo owned 49% of Rare and Microsoft bought the other 51%. They actually had no option but to sell their part. But on the other side, Rare was still falling apart by that time (I'll build on that on the next paragraph). So, yeah, you weren't so wrong afterall. Microsoft did offer to buy Rare, but they didn't destroy them. Sorry for the mishap.

Yes, the games were excellent because of the delays. But unfortunately, what is good for gamers isn't necessarily the best thing for companies. Not only the delays, but the Stampers also fired some of the staff who worked in Rare's best games, including most of the people who worked on GoldenEye 007. They later went on to form their own studio (Free Radical Design, which I believe broke a few years ago) who made tha Time Slitters series. By this time, almost nobody from the old team is there.

So, I guess the old Rareware was just too awesome to exist.

It's almost like it was too good to be true. They made a handful of amazing games, in which I still own most of the cartridges today. But it couldn't last forever, you can't have too much of a good thing. Besides, if Rareware never did die, games like Banjo Kazooie and 007 probably wouldn't have as much of a cult-following today. I haven't even played the new Banjo game, they didn't even have the heart to at least call it Banjo Threeie.

All these years I praised the Stampers, but now I see that for the most part, they were the destruction of Rareware. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom