• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo

M

matersword

Nintendo is an okay gaming company. Hell they ended the great video game crash of the 80's. But today Zelda is the only thing keeping me with them. If it wasnt for Zelda I would be with Playstation. How many of you agree.:):(

No, Zelda isn't the only thing that keeps me with Nintendo.
I also really like Mario too.

Jedizora

:right:
Okay, so I'm not aloowed to like all 3 systems? Just becausse you think that one system has good games, doesn't mean that you can't enjoy anothers games.

Djinn

and Tonic
I never really understood this drawing lines in the sand method of picking a gaming company and staying with them only. What is wrong with liking two or three consoles? Just because someone owns one does not mean that they are not allowed to have another. I see no real need to maintain such a strict level of brand loyalty as to limit myself to only Nintendo or Sony.

I think you are ignoring Nintendo's efforts in the handheld market. Until the PSP came around they dominated that entire aspect f the gaming industry, and even today they are still ahead. Even with a limited library of games for the current system they are still performing well. That will only increase as we get a little closer to the holiday season and more games are released for the 3DS.

Also the Pokemon franchise is one of their biggest commercial successes in more areas beyond just games. The series remains one of their top selling franchises and if it has not slowed down by now then it probably won't for a while. Nintendo is also bringing back several other games like Kid Icarus and Luigi's Mansion, just after releasing Donkey Kong Country Returns last year.

It seems it is the longtime fans that are the ones that might be a little disappointed. The ones who like to remember "the old days" more fondly and do not appreciate some of the games coming out today. Or think that the upcoming games are of a lesser quality. The recent Metroid, Kirby, and Mario sequels were disappointing in sales, while other series that people loved like Pikmin, Animal Crossing, or Banjo Kazooie are largely forgotten. I am glad that Nintendo is finally back into making regular Mario games again after so many years of Mario Party games. I thought Galaxy was a fun game, I loved Super Mario Bros Wii, and I want to try Mario 3DS. Well I really want to play another game with Raccoon Mario again, Mario 3 was definitely the best in the old series.

Of course all of here as members of a Zelda fan site will mainly look at Zelda as the focus of the company. But Nintendo is doing very well well with a few other series as well. They are focusing on Zelda very heavily, they spent a lot more time on remaking OoT instead just porting it to the 3DS with some added visuals. They are releasing SS near the end of this year, announced a HiDef Zelda for sometime in the future, re-released LA to the Virtual Console, plaus they are doing other things like having the concert series playing the Zelda soundtrack. So Nintendo has not forgotten it and they realize that it is a huge seller for a lot of fans.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
A true gamer would care for what every gaming system has to offer instead of just sticking to one. Nintendo is more then just okay. If it weren't for Nintendo gaming would be dead. They are the game changers in the video game industry. They always give us a new way to play and take gaming forward. That's what they do, they innovate. And they don't just give us a new innovation for the hell of it. They have ideas in mind and make their newest innovation work with the majority of their games. They think things through. And they have way more then just Zelda, have you ever heard of Mario, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Star Fox, Pikmin, etc.?

Mario, Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby, Zelda, etc. are all what keep me with Nintendo, and there was never a Zelda game that totally let me down. I don't think I could choose anything over the corporation that started it all (for me)...I just can't. Plus, many of my favorite Sony/Microsoft (i.e. Final Fantasy) games have origins dating back with Nintendo.

I will forever remain a hardcore Nintendo fan until the day enter the mortal coil. It's what got me into gaming. I like other the other "BIG 2", but they never had that great of an impact on me that Nintendo's had. When I was a kid, a lot of times I relied on my NES-when I had a bad day at school or baseball practice-to cheer me up. I still do so today with my Gameboy Color. :P For me, that sentimental value is a HUGE factor. There's my two cents.

So, mastersword, I can't say I entirely share your sentiments.

Also, I'm still patiently anticipating the new Star Fox and Kid Icarus games, aren't you? :)

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Nintendo is an okay gaming company. Hell they ended the great video game crash of the 80's. But today Zelda is the only thing keeping me with them. If it wasnt for Zelda I would be with Playstation. How many of you agree.:):(

I actually find it hard to see this on a forum for Zelda. One of the more populated ones at that.

I mainly favorite Zelda, and only play a little of Kirby, Mario, etc. nowadays. I grew up with Nintendo, which is why I favorite them. I hate Xbox because of all of the Call of Duty idiots acting like it's the best game ever and shunning other people who disagree with them. Plus, I have several issues with Microsoft that I'm not going to get into. I've never really had any issues with Sony, I just didn't like its library of games.

Technically Mario was first, but I think it's easy to say that Zelda wins by far. Mario has a lot of games as it is, and it usually lacks good story lines. Zelda has much fewer games, but in every game, Nintendo gives it its all, so every main Zelda game that I've played (I've played all of the main ones) are usually amazing.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I mainly favorite Zelda, and only play a little of Kirby, Mario, etc. nowadays. I grew up with Nintendo, which is why I favorite them. I hate Xbox because of all of the Call of Duty idiots acting like it's the best game ever and shunning other people who disagree with them. Plus, I have several issues with Microsoft that I'm not going to get into. I've never really had any issues with Sony, I just didn't like its library of games.

Wait, you hate XBOX because of idiots? You do know that same goes to Playstation right? You can't just shove that to one company.

And yes, I am just as surprised as you are to see a thread like this on a forum dedicated to a Nintendo product.

Nintendo has pretty much always been my favorite console maker and game developer because they've always innovated and embraced artistic creativity, rather than conforming to gritty, realistic graphics like many other developers. Not that those games are bad (and they should be on Nintendo consoles as well), but they should by no means be the only games or even the majority of games on a given console, and I think Nintendo has, more often than other companies, struck a proper balance of creativity, artistry, and seriousness. Their priorities resonate more with my wishes than the other companies do.

That said, I'm a fan of all three console manufacturers and I find the notion of brand loyalty or any variety of console war ridiculous. I only see that being relevant in a situation where a company is pushing an ideological movement in the game industry that could affect all video games, not the efforts of one console just doing its thing.

Brand loyalty is silly, because the console or company or even game series doesn't deserve your loyalty nor should it ever have it. Guaranteed customers just mean the company can slack off or do whatever and get away with it. Taking who you buy from seriously helps you get the products you actually want. That's how the consumer controls the industry.

I agree. Mario just doesn't cut it for our generation.
I don't understand this. You're speaking for the entire generation, then? The only reason the game would be unable to "cut it" is if it didn't meet the needs and wants of the consumers (gamers), and given that it's a hugely successful series, it is clearly having no trouble on that front. Nintendo itself is biggest seller of this entire console generation. The Wii greatly outsold the other two consoles, and the DS greatly outsold the Wii. Nintendo is clearly getting something right, so the notion that it's not right for the generation is just... false. A generation cannot be defined, because people cannot be defined. People are unique, with individual tastes.

Wait, you hate XBOX because of idiots? You do know that same goes to Playstation right? You can't just shove that to one company.

And yes, I am just as surprised as you are to see a thread like this on a forum dedicated to a Nintendo product.
Indeed, and it actually applies to Nintendo as well. Nintendo has idiot fanboys the same as any company does, and even though I'm a huge Nintendo fan, they annoy me too. Fans don't define the efforts of a product or work, they define the fans. Or maybe, they define the community. They don't define the product. Though, I will say it's an understandable irritation if it's something you can't tolerate, it's just not something that the creator of the product deserves to be blames with.

Surprising, sure, but I don't think it's necessarily bad. It's good to have some conflicting ideas every once in a while. Besides, the op was criticizing Nintendo in general; he said he liked Zelda, and this is really only a Zelda forum.

DLC

Soul Drummer.
I love Nintendo, but xbox and ps3 are just as good. I agree with axle, besides the fact I hate mario. I think it's knd've funny how people say Microsoft and sony beat nintendo. Mainly because basically microsoft and sony have to rely on 3rd party.

I love Nintendo, but xbox and ps3 are just as good. I agree with axle, besides the fact I hate mario. I think it's knd've funny how people say Microsoft and sony beat nintendo. Mainly because basically microsoft and sony have to rely on 3rd party.
They are right in the regard that Nintendo has messed up with its third party relations. Outside of first-party games, the Wii library is pitiful all in all. But the notion that Nintendo was beaten, or screwed up entirely, is blatantly and completely false. It's just not true. Check your facts, boys. :bleh:

That said, I think Nintendo's shift to match the hardware of the other consoles and to fix their third-party relations with the Wii U is a great move (and possibly even crucial at this point in the game).

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
So, just to answer to the topic: No matersword, I don't agree with you. If Nintendo only had Zelda, they wouldn't have lasted all these decades, would they? Heck, I even would rather play other Nintendo franchises than Zelda at times. X-Box and PlayStation do some things better than Nintendo ever will, too. They all have great stuff to give, so no loss there.

And to the people who hate Mario... well, no words, actually. A lot of people hate Mickey Mouse too, and that hasn't held him back. The only thing I disagree with is this:

Mario just doesn't cut it for our generation.

It's fine that you don't like Mario, but please, dude, SPEAK FOR YOURSELF. You worded it like some universal fact that we all have to agree with, even if that wasn't your intention, that's what it came off as.

Sorry if that was mean.

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
For me, Nintendo is the best at handhelds. For consoles I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with Microsoft or Sony. Nintendo no longer dominates there. Nintendo's been more concerned with gimmicks than with practicality like the other two major consoles. Yes they have strong series, but not everyone likes them. Mickey Mouse was a great example for that. It's a only a certain group that will like it. Just like with Mickey. As far as technical aspects, the Sony and Microsoft consoles are superior to Nintendo's. Of course raw power isn't everything. Good games are. Contrary though to the usual opinion, I don't think that Nintendo has ever been good at that. Their... obsession with gimmicks makes their consoles very unfriendly to developers, especially ones that want to release for all three consoles. For the Wii it was just too hard to adapt it, so much so that if they did they wouldn't make a profit on it. They'd have to totally redesign the controls and downgrade the quality to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom