• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Wii - End of Life Thoughts

Dan

A lot of people seem to dislike the console, and sure it was a place where developers took giant dumps of **** like "super party fun" and "minigame party land 6" but It was the console that brought back some old favorites. Donkey kong country and Kirby. It had a great line-up of platformer games as well. Platformer being one of my favorite genre's. I found the Mario games one of my all time favorite Mario games too. It also brought lots of railshooters along with it, which works perfectly with motion control. Truly delivering an arcade experience for me. I feel like the console has had a lot of gems too, but some of those gems got superseded, for instance no more heroes and overkill going onto the PS3. Sadly the 3rd party support wasn't that great, but for those that love party games I suppose it's all good. 1st party for the most part had an amazing line-up.

I do admire that Nintendo decided to try a different route rather than try to compete in terms of hardware only. I'm not sure if that would of turned out so well, had they done that.
I don't think having HD would of made too much difference at the time, it may of forced developers to improve the textures in some games. Having the wii on 480p you could tell with some games they just didn't try hard enough.
A DvD player would of been nice too, but I understand Nintendo really wanted the wii to be cheap. Fortunately the wii is rather easy to "jailbreak" making this feature a reality after-all, as well as many more great features, but I will ignore that, since I'm looking at the wii on how it was intended to be played with by nintendo.

I think another negative for the wii is just how many games enforced waggle. Waggle wasn't convenient and what it accomplished was just so much easier with a push of a button.
sonicwaggle.png
Too many games enforcing this, reprieved what could of been a more enjoyable experience. Curse you donkey kong country and your slamming!
A positive that did come with motion control out of the box, was developers could create rail-shooters without having to worry if the player had a lightgun. We got plenty of those and like I've said before love dem rail-shooters so this was good for me. Perhaps I'm in the small margin with this. :P I'll also admit I like wii sports and similar games like it. :P

We can all agree Nintendos online support was an utter joke, those awful awful friend codes can go rot in hell for all I care. It's once again a shame not many games were around that featured online support, but then again there weren't many games around all together that would of really enriched in such a feature. Regardless New super mario bros would of been great with online play. Oh and let's not forget that whole failure that was wii speak. D:

To conclude I don't think the wii was really aimed at the "hardcore" crowd. It certainly wasn't ever taken too seriously. Nintendo did well at selling it and planting it in every household. (Let's just hope nothing sinister is laying dormant in those machines) It also just felt too old to succeed compared to the PS3 and XboX. Lack of games, graphics, online. Sure the Wii sold well, but it won't ever be looked at so greatly through the eyes of it's buyers.. Finishing off with a light note, I liked the wii, it brought us some great games, and I'll just ignore all the ****** ones... although ignoring a pile the size of a mountain may be hard, it doesn't stop me from enjoying the good ones. So I'll carry on playing my mario galaxy, no more heroes 2, and smile like the sun in teletubbies.

Oh and also I hate the term "my wii is collecting dust" All my consoles collect dust, no matter how much I play them! What's everyone's problem with dust. :'(

Ah, the Wii. I remember when my parents first bought it. Me and my sisters fighting to play Mario and sonic at the Olympic games. After a couple of days my sisters got bored and that little white box was all mine. My cousin bought over Mario super strikers football and I played that game like it was my life. My parents actually got a little worried as they had never seen me do this much gaming (little did they know my early childhood was spent playing on my uncles old snes) After a month or so of finding a whole new love for gaming my friend showed me a game he got on the Wii called Zelda Twilight Princess. Its fair to say I absolutely fell in love with this game and it then led to my love for Zelda. It was only a month or so ago my Wii broke. Knowing that the Wii u was coming out soon enough it didn't bother me to much, however thinking about it. Some of the greatest memories of my life were spent on that Wii :')

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
I honestly thought the virtual console was a great idea, never really used it though..well I did on the 3DS. Even though I owned and 100%ed Twilight Princess on the Wii I like the Gamecube version better which is the version I owned back when the game came out, almost 100% completed, then sold in 2008 I believe. Skyward Sword was an amazing game! Honestly the best game for the system in my opinion..I remember last Thanksgiving break I played that game the entire time and came so close to beating it but then school came around and I didn't get back to it for 2 weeks. I actually didn't play a lot of Wii, I mean I played Smash Bros and Mario Kart but I thought the Gamecube versions were better. I ended up getting a PS3 in late 2009 so the Wii kind went in the closet until Skyward Sword, then went back in the closet.

Personally I don't plan on buying a Wii U until a new Zelda game comes out because by then the system will be a lot cheaper and that plus Pikmin 3 are the only 2 games I want to play.

pit0010

GAME IT LIFE IS TO SHORT
I will miss my wii. The wii made me understand that I LOVE nintendo!
There were soooo many great games like twilight princess, skyward sword, super smash bros brawl and all the mario games! But I'm not so worried about not playing them anymore! I can transfer them to my wii u! yeahhhhh! :D

Just getting the thought that the wii itself won't be touched and will collect dust. :(

Hanyou

didn't build that
The Wii was likely the best console of its generation, with a slew of strong exclusives. The PS3 is tight competition, though, and I think a good argument could be made for that one. In any case, a console is only as good as its best games, and the Wii had them in spades.

The DS and PC still outranked the Wii this gen, of course.

As far as where I'd rank the Wii among Nintendo's consoles, I'd place it second-to-last, just above the gamecube. That's not to say it's a bad console, but it did have fewer exclusives worth playing than the other ones. It's certainly not in the Nintendo 64 or SNES's league.

The wii isn't dead until they stop making games for it. How many families can afford a $300+ console, especially in this economy? The DS also still lives, as shown with Pokemon Black2/White2. When they stop making major titles for the Wii, only then will it begin to die. It will be dead by the time Nintendo comes out with another system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom