• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly (that we know)

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I prefer to start with the negatives, so let's start with The Ugly:

I. The Ugly

• 1, 2 Switch and Arms - What the hell is this? These two so-called games are absolutely stupid and pointless. I get it: Nintendo always has to have their little tech-demos. But at least Wii Sports was fun. It showcased what the Wii controller could do AND there was some sort of fun aspect to it. These two games are asinine. I mean, the very idea that ARMS is deep, engaging, and has lots of replay value is insulting to me. Nothing about either of these games screams fun. Or even whispers it. Literally no one is buying these games. And if they come bundled with the console, I'm deleting them the moment I boot up the system of the first time.

• Battery Life on the screen - Lasting between 2–6 hours is not good. And let's not fool ourselves, the more likely scenario for those graphic-intensive games is closer to 2 than to 6. No one will be playing Skyrim on the go for 6 hours. To me that's not a deal breaker, because I never intended to play this on the bus like some people thought they would be able to do, but since the whole gimmick behind the Switch is to take it on the go, this is a real hit.

• Pro Controller price - $70 Nintendo? Seriously? Ugh.

• Internal HDD - 32 Gigabytes? Again, not to sound like I'm being picky, but what is that? I'm guessing this is because the Switch won't install games on the console itself, since the SD Cards load more quickly than discs, right? If so, then this maybe isn't as big of a deal. But what about Virtual Console games? How much HDD space will those take?

• Lack of release date information - This will be rectified in the future, but we really could have used some game release dates. We have almost no information on dates, and the ones we do have are not launch.

II. The Bad

• Paid online - It's a shame, but it was going to happen eventually. We have been spoiled as Nintendo fans for years by free online, but it was bound to come to an end eventually.

• Mario Kart Rehash - Seriously disappointing. Don't tell me you added battle mode and Inklings and tell me it's a "whole different experience." It's not. It's the same damn game I already paid for and played and bought FREAKING DLC FOR YOU ****S.

• Sonic.

• MOAR GAYMZ - I really expected them to announce a lot more games. They showed us that collage at the end, and that had a good amount of games, but not enough.
III. The Good

• The Games - At least, despite all the bad things they started off with, they rebounded and showed us some pretty sweet games. I'm especially hyped for Xenoblade 2. I'm also interested in that Square Enix title. Definitely looked intriguing. And of course, Spaltoon 2. They didn't show much, but what they showed was good.

• FIFA - I hate this game (used to play it a lot) but it's important that Nintendo has it in its library.

• Pro Controller - I'll be honest, I can't imagine ever playing with the JoyCons. The technology is really cool, but they're small and they look incredibly uncomfortable. Plus, no D pad. So I'm glad they're releasing the Pro. The Pro seems to be the definitive way to play the console. It's a proper controller for proper games.
IV. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

This deserves its own section, because it's by far the most amazing game trailer ever. Makes TP's trailer look like poop.

I had chills while watching.

It's a system seller, hands down. I was intrigued by Xenoblade, pleasantly surprised by Splatoon 2 as opposed to Splatoon "deluxe", but seeing BoTW run on the Switch sold me. I'll be getting a Switch, and I'll be getting BoTW for Switch.​

V. Conclusion

In the end, I don't think I'll be getting this at launch until we get more information from 3rd parties about their games and their release dates. I need to know when games launch. I need to know we're getting more games than just the ones we know about.

I need to know we're getting Final Fantasy XV and Deus Ex. BoTW and Xenoblade are sufficient for me, but not sufficient enough to pre-order and get at launch. I need more.​

I. The Ugly

• 1, 2 Switch and Arms - What the hell is this? These two so-called games are absolutely stupid and pointless. I get it: Nintendo always has to have their little tech-demos. But at least Wii Sports was fun. It showcased what the Wii controller could do AND there was some sort of fun aspect to it. These two games are asinine. I mean, the very idea that ARMS is deep, engaging, and has lots of replay value is insulting to me. Nothing about either of these games screams fun. Or even whispers it. Literally no one is buying these games. And if they come bundled with the console, I'm deleting them the moment I boot up the system of the first time.

• Battery Life on the screen - Lasting between 2–6 hours is not good. And let's not fool ourselves, the more likely scenario for those graphic-intensive games is closer to 2 than to 6. No one will be playing Skyrim on the go for 6 hours. To me that's not a deal breaker, because I never intended to play this on the bus like some people thought they would be able to do, but since the whole gimmick behind the Switch is to take it on the go, this is a real hit.

• Internal HDD - 32 Gigabytes? Again, not to sound like I'm being picky, but what is that? I'm guessing this is because the Switch won't install games on the console itself, since the SD Cards load more quickly than discs, right? If so, then this maybe isn't as big of a deal. But what about Virtual Console games? How much HDD space will those take?

• Lack of release date information - This will be rectified in the future, but we really could have used some game release dates. We have almost no information on dates, and the ones we do have are not launch.

II. The Bad

• Paid online - It's a shame, but it was going to happen eventually. We have been spoiled as Nintendo fans for years by free online, but it was bound to come to an end eventually.

• Mario Kart Rehash - Seriously disappointing. Don't tell me you added battle mode and Inklings and tell me it's a "whole different experience." It's not. It's the same damn game I already paid for and played and bought FREAKING DLC FOR YOU ****S.

• Sonic.

• MOAR GAYMZ - I really expected them to announce a lot more games. They showed us that collage at the end, and that had a good amount of games, but not enough.
III. The Good

• The Games - At least, despite all the bad things they started off with, they rebounded and showed us some pretty sweet games. I'm especially hyped for Xenoblade 2. I'm also interested in that Square Enix title. Definitely looked intriguing. And of course, Spaltoon 2. They didn't show much, but what they showed was good.

• FIFA - I hate this game (used to play it a lot) but it's important that Nintendo has it in its library.

• Pro Controller - I'll be honest, I can't imagine ever playing with the JoyCons. The technology is really cool, but they're small and they look incredibly uncomfortable. Plus, no D pad. So I'm glad they're releasing the Pro. The Pro seems to be the definitive way to play the console. It's a proper controller for proper games.

This deserves its own section, because it's by far the most amazing game trailer ever. Makes TP's trailer look like poop.

It's a system seller, hands down. I was intrigued by Xenoblade, pleasantly surprised by Splatoon 2 as opposed to Splatoon "deluxe", but seeing BoTW run on the Switch sold me. I'll be getting a Switch, and I'll be getting BoTW for Switch.​

V. Conclusion

In the end, I don't think I'll be getting this at launch until we get more information from 3rd parties about their games and their release dates. I need to know when games launch. I need to know we're getting more games than just the ones we know about.

I need to know we're getting Final Fantasy XV and Deus Ex. BoTW and Xenoblade are sufficient for me, but not sufficient enough to pre-order and get at launch. I need more.​

Basically this.

I agree with everything in the OP.

BAD-
-Paid online is an expected gut punch but it still hurts to see it. It means i wont be buying Splatoon 2 or any other Nintendo game decides to go mostly/wholly online. I can afford it but i refuse. Game+DLC+subscription= got to hell.

UGLY-
-Prices of the pro controller look steep.
-Probably gonna need to invest in some SD cards.
-Battery life (not that i'll be using it as a handheld)
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I doubt there's enough in it after buying the game and its DLC...

GOOD-
-Zelda

-------------

All in all I wanted there to be a bigger focus on games but outside of Zelda (which will be on the Wii U on the same day) the only thing i'm remotely interested in is Fire Emblem Warriors. But without playing it we all know what to expect so its not very exciting.
Mario has no sway over me and, like i said, i wont be buying Splatoon if i have to pay to play it.

So... yeah, Bomberman, Setsuna, Xenoblade, Octopath are all just meh for me and i'll but Dragon Quest XI on my ps4, so there's no reason for me to buy a Switch at launch. In fact i may just wait until the next Zelda, which i think is a solid plan for now unless Nintendo drop bombs through February.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That Presentation was a ****ing disaster but of course Zelda swoops in to save the day. Oh my god I can still feel the hype ten hours later.

The Good
Zelda Breath of the Wild is the absolute best thing to come out of this. Fuuuuuuudge dude this game is hype.

Xenoblade 2 reveal was good.
SUDA51's screen appearance made me laugh, you could tell he was there for the video games but wasn't briefed that it was primarily some ****ty reel for investors. He wasn't prepared to give his speech why is why he rambles for a bit, but damn I knew he had his heart in the right place. God Bless you, Suda.

The Bad
ARMS, 1 2 Switch

The Ugly
EA and Bethesda's ****ty half-assed """presentations""". LOL NINTENDUR IS LE INNOVATIVE HERE IS A **** REHASH SPORTS GAME AND A LITERALLY FIVE YEAR OLD TITLE LOOOL THANKS NINTEN**** FANS LOOL

God I want to kick Todd and Patricks' asses right now. Thinking about those two presentations makes me seeth with rage. They can't be assed to give us some decent games, and they will pull supportly within the year just as I ****ing called. I'll definitely kick their asses one day for this insult.

Xenoblade 2 character design. Once again they've gotta **** something up and this time it's the ****en DUDE MOE ANIME XD aesthetic.

No FromSoftware reveal

ZA WARUDO
Toki wo tomare! *shing* ROAD RORA DA! MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA MUDAA! WRYYYYYYYY Toki wo ugoki dasu.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake

I. The Ugly

II. The Bad

• Sonic.

III. The Good

V. Conclusion

How can you be getting it for the Switch and not get it at launch? You must have incredible patience. No way I could wait past March 3rd.

Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Splatoon 2 were amazing. Xenoblade 2 will probably also be amazing, but I need more info. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is actually okay to me because it brings back Bob-omb Blast. Finally! Arms might be decent. 1 2 Switch was the biggest bait and switch. I thought it would be a new Wild West Nintendo IP. Nope. Just a ****ty party game.

1, 2 Switch and Arms - What the hell is this? These two so-called games are absolutely stupid and pointless. I get it: Nintendo always has to have their little tech-demos. But at least Wii Sports was fun. It showcased what the Wii controller could do AND there was some sort of fun aspect to it. These two games are asinine. I mean, the very idea that ARMS is deep, engaging, and has lots of replay value is insulting to me. Nothing about either of these games screams fun. Or even whispers it. Literally no one is buying these games. And if they come bundled with the console, I'm deleting them the moment I boot up the system of the first time.
1,2 Swtch should have been the pack in game with the console. As a stand alone game it's rather crap. Not worth buying.
Arms looks quite good in a Punchout x Overwatch kind of way. Fans of the genre will love Arms. Everyone else will hate it. It's for fans of the genre only.

Battery Life on the screen - Lasting between 2–6 hours is not good. And let's not fool ourselves, the more likely scenario for those graphic-intensive games is closer to 2 than to 6. No one will be playing Skyrim on the go for 6 hours. To me that's not a deal breaker, because I never intended to play this on the bus like some people thought they would be able to do, but since the whole gimmick behind the Switch is to take it on the go, this is a real hit.
People need to understand this is tablet portability, not 3DS portability. You can play it anywhere sure but it's best played sitting sown somewhere with the AC cable in use. Anywhere you go with a power outlet. The Switch is a hole console you take on the go, not a portable gaming device like the 3DS. When people start to understanding the kind of portable the Switch is, then it'll start making sense to them.

Pro Controller price - $70 Nintendo? Seriously? Ugh.
You should thank whoever you pray to that you do not live in Australia. Everything Nintendo Switch (pro controllers included) are much lower priced than in Australia. Want a Pro Controller in Australia? $99.95 (post tax) thanks. Unless you pay $30 in sales tax you have ti much cheaper than Australians do.

Internal HDD - 32 Gigabytes? Again, not to sound like I'm being picky, but what is that? I'm guessing this is because the Switch won't install games on the console itself, since the SD Cards load more quickly than discs, right? If so, then this maybe isn't as big of a deal. But what about Virtual Console games? How much HDD space will those take?
Lack of release date information - This will be rectified in the future, but we really could have used some game release dates. We have almost no information on dates, and the ones we do have are not launch.
Not an issue. Why? Because if you get a large enough SD card you will not ever need to remove it. That becomes the bulk of the Switch's digital space to install things. You do not need a portable hard drive sitting next to the Switch and a power outlet to power the HDD (like you do for the WiiU). The only downside is the Switch is so damn expensive that having to pay even more for a decent sized SD card feels like a slap in the face.

Paid online - It's a shame, but it was going to happen eventually. We have been spoiled as Nintendo fans for years by free online, but it was bound to come to an end eventually.
I agree here. Unless Nintendo need the Yen for their bottom line from this I'd so not do it. A bad idea.

Mario Kart Rehash - Seriously disappointing. Don't tell me you added battle mode and Inklings and tell me it's a "whole different experience." It's not. It's the same damn game I already paid for and played and bought FREAKING DLC FOR YOU ****S.
A lot of people have not yet played MK8 yet. Most of them not WiiU owners. This is for them. If a game is not for the specific target audience that includes you, there is no need to rage about it. Just accept that it's for others to enjoy and move on to the games that are designed for the target audience that includes you.
I might get MK8 if I can afford it as I never bought it on the WiiU.

Sonic of the past decade has been bad. Nintendo did nothing to affect this in any way. It's all SEGA.

MOAR GAYMZ - I really expected them to announce a lot more games. They showed us that collage at the end, and that had a good amount of games, but not enough.
http://switchplayer.net/list-of-nintendo-switch-games/
Is 66 games enough for you?

The Games - At least, despite all the bad things they started off with, they rebounded and showed us some pretty sweet games. I'm especially hyped for Xenoblade 2. I'm also interested in that Square Enix title. Definitely looked intriguing. And of course, Spaltoon 2. They didn't show much, but what they showed was good.
I wanted Xenoblade Chronicles X remade for the Switch, not Xenoblade Chronicles 2. XC2 will be a good game though. I'll probably get it. XC was a damn good game. I am just of one the few that prefered XCX. Still you are right XC2 is pretty much a must game if it's as good as XC was.
I agreed they dodn't show much but what Nintendo did show was good.

FIFA - I hate this game (used to play it a lot) but it's important that Nintendo has it in its library.
I agree totally. I will not buy it most likelt but I am glad it will be there.

Pro Controller - I'll be honest, I can't imagine ever playing with the JoyCons. The technology is really cool, but they're small and they look incredibly uncomfortable. Plus, no D pad. So I'm glad they're releasing the Pro. The Pro seems to be the definitive way to play the console. It's a proper controller for proper games.
Time to accept the fact we live in the 21st century. We are not forced to use the same control style for every game. We have the choice. You prefer the pro controller. That's totally cool. It's not "the proper" controller at all. It's just your favourite controller. It might just be my favourite controller too. However some people will like the grip or the joycons more. They are not wrong, just their own personal opinion.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I did also.

It's a system seller, hands down. I was intrigued by Xenoblade, pleasantly surprised by Splatoon 2 as opposed to Splatoon "deluxe", but seeing BoTW run on the Switch sold me. I'll be getting a Switch, and I'll be getting BoTW for Switch.
That's exactly why BotW had to be a launch day title. Nintendo need a must have game to push console sales. BotW is just that game. A lesson learnt from the WiiU launch that had no 1st party games that were must have.

I need to know we're getting Final Fantasy XV and Deus Ex. BoTW and Xenoblade are sufficient for me, but not sufficient enough to pre-order and get at launch. I need more.
That is fair enough and I respect your choice there.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
1,2 Swtch should have been the pack in game with the console. As a stand alone game it's rather crap. Not worth buying.
Arms looks quite good in a Punchout x Overwatch kind of way. Fans of the genre will love Arms. Everyone else will hate it. It's for fans of the genre only.

People need to understand this is tablet portability, not 3DS portability. You can play it anywhere sure but it's best played sitting sown somewhere with the AC cable in use. Anywhere you go with a power outlet. The Switch is a hole console you take on the go, not a portable gaming device like the 3DS. When people start to understanding the kind of portable the Switch is, then it'll start making sense to them.

You should thank whoever you pray to that you do not live in Australia. Everything Nintendo Switch (pro controllers included) are much lower priced than in Australia. Want a Pro Controller in Australia? $99.95 (post tax) thanks. Unless you pay $30 in sales tax you have ti much cheaper than Australians do.

Not an issue. Why? Because if you get a large enough SD card you will not ever need to remove it. That becomes the bulk of the Switch's digital space to install things. You do not need a portable hard drive sitting next to the Switch and a power outlet to power the HDD (like you do for the WiiU). The only downside is the Switch is so damn expensive that having to pay even more for a decent sized SD card feels like a slap in the face.

I agree here. Unless Nintendo need the Yen for their bottom line from this I'd so not do it. A bad idea.

A lot of people have not yet played MK8 yet. Most of them not WiiU owners. This is for them. If a game is not for the specific target audience that includes you, there is no need to rage about it. Just accept that it's for others to enjoy and move on to the games that are designed for the target audience that includes you.
I might get MK8 if I can afford it as I never bought it on the WiiU.

Sonic of the past decade has been bad. Nintendo did nothing to affect this in any way. It's all SEGA.

http://switchplayer.net/list-of-nintendo-switch-games/
Is 66 games enough for you?

I wanted Xenoblade Chronicles X remade for the Switch, not Xenoblade Chronicles 2. XC2 will be a good game though. I'll probably get it. XC was a damn good game. I am just of one the few that prefered XCX. Still you are right XC2 is pretty much a must game if it's as good as XC was.
I agreed they dodn't show much but what Nintendo did show was good.

I agree totally. I will not buy it most likelt but I am glad it will be there.

Time to accept the fact we live in the 21st century. We are not forced to use the same control style for every game. We have the choice. You prefer the pro controller. That's totally cool. It's not "the proper" controller at all. It's just your favourite controller. It might just be my favourite controller too. However some people will like the grip or the joycons more. They are not wrong, just their own personal opinion.

I did also.

That's exactly why BotW had to be a launch day title. Nintendo need a must have game to push console sales. BotW is just that game. A lesson learnt from the WiiU launch that had no 1st party games that were must have.

That is fair enough and I respect your choice there.
Whoa whoa whoa there @the8thark. We are more or less paying the same amount for that Pro Controller post tax. You have to remember, Australian and US dollars are not worth the same, so you need to convert them. That $99 in AUS dollars is $75 in American dollars. So you actually aren't paying any more than Americans. Hell, in some counties(such as Cook County), Americans will be paying more for that Pro Controller ($78 after tax).

Whoa whoa whoa there @the8thark. We are more or less paying the same amount for that Pro Controller post tax. You have to remember, Australian and US dollars are not worth the same, so you need to convert them. That $99 in AUS dollars is $75 in American dollars. So you actually aren't paying any more than Americans. Hell, in some counties(such as Cook County), Americans will be paying more for that Pro Controller ($78 after tax).
I usually compare the US and Aus currency to the original yen prices. Bot compare US and Aus directly. Because it's the yeb that's the actual original price. Our prices are more, but not that much more if you factor in exchange rate and US taxes (because not included in listed price).

Personaslly I think the numbers for everything in almost every country are too high. The US Switch console price is alright though. But everything else is terrible. The Pro controllers. Yeah way to expensive world wide. The Switch and accessories are not affordable asnymore like Nintendo wanted to aim for in the past.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
How can you be getting it for the Switch and not get it at launch? You must have incredible patience. No way I could wait past March 3rd.

That's a good question. I'm glad you asked. See, I just bought a PS3 for Christmas, and I made a New Years resolution in which I have to work on my backlog of literally a dozen games that I own that I haven't even played, plus about two dozen that I haven't beaten. I have to at least get that down to a more reasonable amount of games before I buy anything new.

Second, if I get the Switch in March with BoTW, I will fail out of law school. I know myself, and I know my weakness, and that weakness is Zelda and I'm more than half way done, and I won't jeopardize my career because of Zelda. I just can't justify it, so I won't be doing it.

First of all, no, not really. I don't need to go to a 3rd party website to get information about games that Nintendo should have showcased on their own Big Announcement video. The whole point was to say "Hey, Nintendo, you had a great opportunity to sell the Switch to every gamer, and you didn't." I'm sure more information will come out in the near future, and many opinions will change, for good or ill.

But this isn't about that. It's about the presentation. The presentation should have had more games, and it didn't.

Also, looking at that list, I see Skyrim as Fall 2017, which ... I'm not even going to get into the insane level of fail that that entails. You're telling me Switch owners are going to have to wait a full calendar year to play a 2011 game that was remastered in 2016? The words are there, but

there is no need to rage about it

because I was never going to get this game anyways. I just feel like this is a really piss-poor decision by whomever it was that decided this. Bethesda is going to sell 100 copies of this game. I really often wonder how people make decisions that are so clearly ********.

The presentation should have had more games, and it didn't.
I can totally agree here. Maybe a soon to be announced direct will answer this. Who knows.

Also, looking at that list, I see Skyrim as Fall 2017, which ... I'm not even going to get into the insane level of fail that that entails. You're telling me Switch owners are going to have to wait a full calendar year to play a 2011 game that was remastered in 2016? The words are there, but
Late old inferier ports of games everyone already had bought years ago on other consoles. What does that remind me of? The WiiU launch day.

because I was never going to get this game anyways. I just feel like this is a really piss-poor decision by whomever it was that decided this. Bethesda is going to sell 100 copies of this game. I really often wonder how people make decisions that are so clearly ********.
This is a rather bonehead decision.

3rd party puts out old inferior port at launch. Few buy it (for obvious reasons). 3rd party then says because that didn't sell well, there's no justification for more new games on the console, not realising that new games would sell. So the 3rd party pulls out from making games on the console.
Happened on the WiiU and Bethesda looks to be doing the same on the Switch. At least the others like SE and co are not doing this to such a terrible extent.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
@the8thark EXACTLY. I can't even fathom the logic behind this decision. Let's just hope that this website has their information wrong.

Because that's exactly what is going to happen. Skyrim EE is going to be a year late on the Switch, and I said this time and time again, people who already own Skyrim EE on PS4 aren't going to wait to get it on Switch. They already have it. People who haven't gotten it on PS4 to see if it comes out on Switch see that Fall 2017 release date and change their minds.

I guess Bethesda have nothing to lose, but Nintendo should really be pushing for that to be a launch title.

To be honest, the launch seems rushed. There are no games for launch right now. Where are the launch titles?

@CrimsonCavalier
Nintendo had to do this now as the WiiU is dead. There's nothing left for it. Nintendo needed Bethesda to get their **** together and make the game a launch title. As a launch title it would have gotten more sales. Skyrim on the go? People would get it. Sure not many but a heck of a lot more than in 3-4 months time.

I think there are two choices here.
  • Release now.
  • Wait till 2nd half of 2017 and release with more games.
In saying that I'm not sure having games like BotW and SMO and XC2 all at launch is a good idea. I'm not sure it's a bad idea either. I just don't know. Making the BotW fans wait till the 2nd half of 2017 seems rather cruel though.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
@CrimsonCavalier
Nintendo had to do this now as the WiiU is dead. There's nothing left for it. Nintendo needed Bethesda to get their **** together and make the game a launch title. As a launch title it would have gotten more sales. Skyrim on the go? People would get it. Sure not many but a heck of a lot more than in 3-4 months time.

I think there are two choices here.
  • Release now.
  • Wait till 2nd half of 2017 and release with more games.
In saying that I'm not sure having games like BotW and SMO and XC2 all at launch is a good idea. I'm not sure it's a bad idea either. I just don't know. Making the BotW fans wait till the 2nd half of 2017 seems rather cruel though.
Skyrim would not do well on launch day.

Think about it:
If Breath of the Wild and Skyrim released on the same day. Which one would you rather be playing?

Even as big of a game that Skyrim is, a 6 year remastered game stands literally no chance if it's released with Zelda. Zelda is the game that Nintendo fans care about, and Skyrim will be ignored because of that if it came out at launch.

It will be much easier to sell Skyrim to Nintendo fans this way.

It's clear that instead of releasing all of their games all at once, they are releasing things continually to get momentum. They actually have quite the lineup, coming one after each other(so long nothing is delayed).

March: Breath of the Wild, I Am Setsuna, Bomberman, FAST RACING RMX, SnipperClips.
April: Mariokart 8 Deluxe and Rime
May: Arms(may also release in April),
June: Splatoon
July: (likely to be a dry month)
August: Skyrim
October-December: Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Sonic Mania, Sonic 2017.

Skyrim is likely going to come from a slight dry spell, so it will get the attention it needs to sell well.

For better, or for worse, Nintendo and third parties are not making the same mistake that the Wii U did.... The Wii U released with 33 titles on the first month. Third parties were not happy about that because it didn't sell(there was too much competition with a small userbase).

But considering that Nintendo seemingly has a heavy hitter game coming each month, I think that's the best year of Nintendo in a long, long time.

Now, do it think that launch is lacking? Yes, especially for Wii U owners who can get BotW. That's why I'm not getting the Switch at launch. But the Switch has already a successful launch. They don't need, nor do they want to release all of their big games at once. Having proper momentum, after the Switch being sold out is vastly important for this year. Instead of a Wii U situation, where they release a ton of games, and then have almost no games for a year.... They are spacing out their heavy hitters throughout the year.

Last edited:
But considering that Nintendo seemingly has a heavy hitter game coming each month, I think that's the best year of Nintendo in a long, long time.
Putting it that way makes a lot of sense. One must have good game a month makes the choice quite easy. I can't see most Nintendo fans wanting to play anything else other than BotW for the first month or so.

Well there is another comparison. One year after the WiiU launched there was not much in the way of good games. One year after the Switch is out, we will have a large number of good games. Those who are not Zelda fans have lots of choice in 2017. And can get a console later for the games they want to play. There is no wait 1-2 years for good games like the WiiU had to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom