• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) Announced

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Today Nintendo has announced an OLED model of the Nintendo Switch console with a 7-inch screen, wider adjustable stand, LAN port in the dock, and 64GB of internal storage (source), which will launch on October 8th.

Official Trailer Below:

Does this align with your expectations for the next Switch model and do you think you'll pick one up?

The screen, storage and LAN port and stand seem handy, but honestly it does not really seem like it is anything substantial enough to upgrade for in my case. I'll probably be holding onto my Switch for quite a while longer as this is a bit of a disappointing update for those who were looking for something more "Pro".

Last edited:

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
This is less than I was expecting. I had hoped for moderate technical improvements, but it's not really surprising coming from Nintendo.

The OLED screen is very appealing, honestly. That coupled with the potential for improved battery life is intriguing, but not enough to make me buy it. As of now, I'll just hold on to my current Switch unless some new info is released that gives me a reason to consider the OLED model.

Fig

The Altruist
It's cool but not necessary. I would actually buy the stand separately if available because that should have come with the base system. Lan port also means that Nintendo mediumkey confirmed that their netcode is trash and if you want a better experience, just be wired lmao.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I don’t really care about console performance or visuals, as long as it’s steady and doesn’t make the room feel like Satans butthole I’m fine, so the lack of any real upgrade in that regard isn’t a big deal for me.

The only thing I really wanted in this was a more durable build, and going off of the trailer that doesn’t seem too likely.

The OLED screen is nice, though I believe we actually knew about this before hand. The Ethernet port is something I’m glad they finally added, even if I’m probably never going to use it myself. The kickstand is nice since the one on my regular switch broke off after a few weeks, but a little too late for me since I no longer really have the time to set up my switch at a lunch table.

I gotta say, this is probably the coolest looking switch yet. I can’t quite tell if there’s actually a difference in the shell design or if it’s just the white coloring that looks good, but either way I’m very much enjoying it.

Once again, they haven’t really said anything about improvements to the build quality, so this isn’t a very high priority thing for me. Im honestly more likely to get a switch lite than this in the near future, if I get a new switch at all.

Also, the “Switch (OLED Model)” is an uncharacteristically boring name for Nintendo, or any gaming company for that matter. I mean, it’s better than calling it the “New Switch,” but not by a whole lot.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Today Nintendo has announced an OLED model of the Nintendo Switch console with a 7-inch screen, wider adjustable stand, LAN port in the dock, and 64GB of internal storage (source), which will launch on October 8th.

Official Trailer Below:

Does this align with your expectations for the next Switch model and do you think you'll pick one up?

The screen, storage and LAN port and stand seem handy, but honestly it does not really seem like it is anything substantial enough to upgrade for in my case. I'll probably be holding onto my Switch for quite a while longer as this is a bit of a disappointing update for those who were looking for something more "Pro".

Ayyyy link to my frontpage post!

To be honest, in the last 2 years I've been writing for ZD I've been in the thick of all the Switch Pro rumors and reports, and for the site I've reported on the majority of them in the last few years. I'm actually glad I was able to cover the actual reveal, feels fitting.

If there is one take away I have from all of this, it's that the official reports from bigger websites like Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg sometimes are not beyond devolving into baseless speculation with the available info they are given.

This is not a next-gen upgrade like we hoped, it's a slight revision to course correct the handheld experience, which is nice, but not quite enough after people's imaginations got the best of them.

Like I said in my frontpage post, I don't play handheld very often, but the prospect of having a better handheld experience with the OLED model might net a purchase of it from me. I wasn't expecting a 4K console, but I definitely would have been more on board to buy this if it had it.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The bigger & better screen looks nice. While I wish the internals were stronger, I'm also somewhat thankful they aren't. I hate the thought of ending up in a situation like Hyrule Warriors on vanilla 3DS again for future releases on the Switch.

I like that the dimensions are the same so that the docks, cases, Joy Con etc. that have been in the wild for the last four years are all compatible. The built-in Ethernet port is awesome, but it takes place of the USB 3.0 port that was there before, which kind of undermines the value? I feel the same for the extra wide stand as well; I always use a third-party stand whenever I go out. The Hori charging playstand with four USB Ports is by far the best stand on the market. (Pic in spoiler)

hori.png

I probably won't get the OLED Switch just yet. I already upgraded my Switch last year when they improved the battery so I could give my old one to my brother.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It's disappointing. It feels like what the Switch should have been at launch. It offers the same resolution in both handheld and docked, and without that increased power or resolution I just don't see the point of this new model. While the OLED screen is nice, it just doesn't sell me on a new Switch model.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I wonder if the Switch Pro is still going to be a thing. There's a lot of things that people wanted from the pro, and the OLED does seem to address some of them. But if the OLED is a slight improvement over the regular switch then the pro can only be a slight improvement over that. It'll never be as cool as if they packaged it into one console, giving you all the upgrades at once. Overall it seems cool, but not enough for me to ditch my regular switch and go buy one.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
It’s pretty cool. It’d be nice to have, but I’m not buying a whole new Switch for this. The white looks great, and 64 GB of storage is massive and what it should’ve been at the beginning. I think they should’ve upgraded the graphics along with everything else, but that doesn’t seem like Nintendo’s plan now or in the future. Had this released at launch with the original Switch, I totally would’ve picked it up. I just hope they don’t expect massive sales from this.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
If I needed a Switch I'd get it since it's better!! ofc. the storage is really nice. but with mine still working i don't see any reason to go out and buy this new model, especially for more than i paid like 4 years ago too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom