• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Since the reveal, the Switch has been a huge success in the pre release market.

1. The Switch trailer now has far more views than any other Nintendo vide, including the reveal, within a single day of airing. And, the level of interest is seeming great. The video has a high like to dislike ratio than the PS4 reveal.
2. The Switch will be able to handle third party games with not much "watered down". We know this because of Unreal Engine 4's and Unity's support.
3. This is a console aimed for college kids. Like me. At my university, people are very excited about the NX, and many for good reason. They cannot wait to play Mariokart whenever they want. They cannot wait to play Skyrim whenever they want. This is very much catered to my age group. Definitely, and it has definitely caught it's attention.

It's fine if you don't have the greatest opinion of the Switch so far. But the market is very intrigued by this. Media is positive, third parties seem almost elated to be making games for the Switch, the Switch has gotten far more attention than the Wii U, and it's reveal has been overwhelmingly positive. Unless Nintendo royally ****s up with something, like making the Switch $500, the Nintendo Switch will at the very least be a moderate success.

Except investors, since Nintendo's stock fell immediately after the reveal. Not that means the thing is going to flop, but it shows not everyone is confident on the thing's success.

Though I have to say saying people are excited to play these games on the go and actually playing them on the go is going to be different. I just don't get how you can't see that people don't play games like Skyrim for quick bursts. Where are your college friends going to play? Between classes? How long do you have between classes? I mean, I guess if you have a few hours, then yes, that makes sense, but if you're telling me you're going to get in a quick game of Skyrim between your 10:00-10:50 class and your 11:00-11:50 class, then no, that doesn't make sense to me. Not all games are made to be played in quick bursts.

And like I said to the8thark, I'm just going off of what Nintendo showed. Nintendo showed people playing Skyrim "on the go." I find that extremely unrealistic.

I think one of the great successes of the DS family of handhelds was the fact that you could play for a short burst, close the clamshell, slide it your pocket, purse, etc., and then pick it back up later. But the Switch is not a clamshell and it isn't small like a DS/3DS.

I guess what I'm mostly getting at with the whole "on the go" aspect of it is it doesn't make sense the way Nintendo displayed it to us. I'm much more interested in what the thing is actually going to do when it's docked, as I'm guessing the vast vast vast majority of people are going to be playing that way and not at a bus stop or in their car.

I actually totally agree with you on this point. Nintendo is so not the traditional platform for things like COD. But if it's there on the Switch, then the CoD fans who own an original PS4 then years later thinking about buying a Switch might just get the Switch and COD on that and not the PS4. I say this because not everyone of the 60 million PS4 owners bought the PS4 for it's internal specs. I would guess and say the majority of that 60 million bought their PS4 for the PS4 games. Just to be able to play them. Now being able to play them on the go, tablet style with the switch, that could be the selling point for them. Sure it's not full 1080p (or UHD on the PS4Pro) on the go with the Swith's tablet screen. But I really think people will prize the portability over a slightly better visual experience. Also they can play it 1080 at home too on the TV with the Switch docked.

I think there's a reason why the PS4 is outselling the XBO even though they have the same games, and it's at least partially because of what's under the hood. I mean, I don't want to call you naive, but a very large group of people do get the machine with that puts out the best graphics. That's why it's even an argument on other message boards. People do care. You and I may not, but a lot of people do.

I agree with you totally. I am not saying Nintendo made the advert wrong. I am saying what the advert is, is how Nintendo hope people will be using the Switch. I think what Nintendo are hoping for here is different to the reality of how people actually use their tablet devices. I feel Nintendo is not wrong based on their own advert in relation to what they want. I just think Nintendo are wanting the Switch to be something it's not. Maybe Nintendo can pull this off, maybe not. We shall soon see.

So you're saying what Nintendo hope people will use the Switch and how it will actually be used will be different? I can see that.

Yes we can both agree with all of that. Support is better than no support. But support that is basically crapware, as in the latter EA games and actually most 3rd party games on the Wii were crapware. In my book, the Wii rivals the original NES for the amount of crapware it has. Sure the WiiU had a lot less titles but percentage wise, there was a much higher percent of quality titles vs utter crapware. I do hope Nintendo is not just getting in all these developers and half of them develop crapware. Nintendo really need to push quality over qualtity from the 3rd parties.

On the Wii true this happened. The proof was the number of games bought per console bought was pretty low. People just bought a few games and that's it. The WiiU was the complete opposite. Those who took the plunge went all in and bought quite a few games. I think the crappy ports were an issue on the Wii. On the WiiU the ports on the whole were pretty good. But their issue was they were ports on games released years ago and ported to everything under the sun before they were finally ported to the WiiU. THis game's definitive version is on the WiiU. WHo cares, as I've already bought it 5x already. Not buying it again. That's the issue the WiiU launch ported games had.

But in the end it leads to similar results: third party support was lacking. Whether companies were throwing shovelware or just outright not putting games on the console, it still hurt the console and the consumer.

I realise you care about the thiungs that matter in games and that you understand the nuts and bolts of gaming very well. That's why I respect you and reply to you as I do. I don't hate you even if we have differing opinions. I'm glad you have them and have taught me a few things too over the years.

Many people are not like us and do care for good looks in games. Games that look good but are other wise bad do sell well in today's gaming market. I think we botk realise Nintendo' s first party games will have had a lot of effort put into them for the Switch. They usually do. Even if the whole concept behind the game is flawed they try. Some of the 3rd parties (EA is a serial offender here) do make good looking games that undermeath the shiny, is just crapware. Or worse crappy ports of already crappy games. If every Switch partner made a great game that's be cool. But we don't know if that'll be the case.

Well that's my entire worry! I know Nintendo is going to make quality titles for the Switch, but that's expected. I don't even consider that a plus anymore, because that's just what we expect from them. But what are EA (as you mentioned) and Ubisoft going to release? It doesn't matter how cool the "on the go" concept is if the games are crap.

And yes, you and I have had a lot of great conversations about video games since I've been a member here. I do always enjoy our debates!

@CrimsonCavalier and @Lozjam and everyone else . . . I just had a thought / question for you.

What size will the boxes the Switch games be sold in?

It's hard to know. Will they use 3DS size small boxes cause the Switch game carts are small? Or will they stick to the standard DVD size box they have used since the Gamecube? The Gamecube is a strange one. Nintendo could have used smaller boxes cause of the smaller disc size but they did not. Since Nintendo are not so limited to using "made for disc" boxes, they could use any shape really. Thicker and smaller or taller and thinner?

The other factor that needs to be considered is instruction manuals. Printed ones. They have been getting smaller and smaller (in terms of content) since the NES days. To the point that most WiU games are one page of instructions or in some cases no printed instructions at all. The proper instructions are all digital and can be accessed from the disc when inside the machine.
What do you all think?

Well, bigger cases make it easier to see, but smaller cases would mean saving money on the manufacture of the cases and they would be able to fit more games on a shelf, so more games per display.

And to be honest, I miss instruction booklets. I miss reading the story of the game in the instructions. Those were the days!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Given how Sega failed....releasing a new system before the console generation is even halfway done feels really stupid.

David

But you called me here...
I am super excited for the Nintendo Switch. I think that it is really the best direction that Nintendo could take after the Wii U and 3DS. I'm so excited, in fact, that we talked about it on my latest Podcast episode in super detail.

To summarize my points:
- The hybrid design is incredibly useful for all players.
- Development studios at Nintendo no longer need to divide themselves across two consoles. (lets face it, the 3DS will be gone in a year or so)
- The ability to take any Nintendo game anywhere is the best thing that could happen.
- I love the games shown off and am excited for what else is to come.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Given how Sega failed....releasing a new system before the console generation is even halfway done feels really stupid.

This console generation is pretty much over. Console generations typically last a little over 5 years, not over a decade like with the 360/PS3/Wii.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Just like the Wii U deluxe (4x memory) or the New 3DS.

Disregard the deluxe Wii U cause it's literally just more memory, a usb device does the same thing. And the New 3DS actually has exclusive titles on it that aren't on it's previous version because of its improved specs.

Just like the Wii U deluxe (4x memory) or the New 3DS.
More SSD space, not more memory. The WiiU has 2GB memory RAM as far as I know.
Which set a precedent. This generation isn't even halfway over.
The only precident set here is the one that pre-determined console generation lengths are a thing of the past. Nintendo's WiiU was a touch under 5 years and the PS4 and XB1 look ot be well over 5 years. A console will be around as long as the developers of it want it to be.

https://pvplive.net/c/new-nintendo-switch-features-and-launch-lineup-tea

A lot of rumours here so I'll list them below for easier reading.

Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros 4 will be re-released as Directors Cut editions/versions
The Switch will support NFC ID cards. Supposedly they are used to download content from a friends machine but not sure if this is how they'll be used. Nintendo need to explain how this will work as it confuses me at the moment.
Super Mario Switch in style is a blend of 64 and Sunshine.
Region free is still the rumour
Launch bundles - US prices - $260 basic, $300 Mario, $340 Zelda + pro controller
Launch date - March 17 PAL Regions. Other regions same week.
Touch Screen still a rumour.
Nintendo wants to be part of eSports with the Switch

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Disregard the deluxe Wii U cause it's literally just more memory, a usb device does the same thing. And the New 3DS actually has exclusive titles on it that aren't on it's previous version because of its improved specs.

*shrug* Either way, the "New" 3DS is still in the same generation as the 3DS.

Supposedly Nintendo is not skimping on power with the Switch.
http://nintendoeverything.com/image-form-says-nintendo-isnt-skimping-on-power-with-switch/

Exact specs are still under NDA but this does bring up battery life concerns as well as thermal concerns. I do think (as like the iPad) you can get power and battery life. The catch is how much battery life and how much power can you get for $300 US? Considering that I think the margins on the NX will be low, the parts cost for the Switch could be even as high as $200 or $250. That leaves $50 spare to cover R&D costs plus a little profit. With bulk duscounts and other pull Nintendo has they can do a lot with $200 - $250 per console for parts.

Super Mario Switch is rumoured to be almost done too.
http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor...as-more-exploration-than-3d-world-and-galaxy/

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
This console generation is pretty much over. Console generations typically last a little over 5 years, not over a decade like with the 360/PS3/Wii.

Generations don't last a set amount of time. They end when the market is ready to move on and when the technology is available to make significant upgrades to the hardware.

It just so happened that last gen was a mixture of the technology being good enough to last a long time, and the market not ready to move on. Nintendo sort of forced the issue releasing the Wii U, and they're doing it again now. Which goes to show that Nintendo is releasing their consoles when they want to release their consoles, but the fact is the competition takes notice of Nintendo, and they make moves based on what Nintendo do as a company.

Supposedly Nintendo is not skimping on power with the Switch.
http://nintendoeverything.com/image-form-says-nintendo-isnt-skimping-on-power-with-switch/

Exact specs are still under NDA but this does bring up battery life concerns as well as thermal concerns. I do think (as like the iPad) you can get power and battery life. The catch is how much battery life and how much power can you get for $300 US? Considering that I think the margins on the NX will be low, the parts cost for the Switch could be even as high as $200 or $250. That leaves $50 spare to cover R&D costs plus a little profit. With bulk duscounts and other pull Nintendo has they can do a lot with $200 - $250 per console for parts.

Super Mario Switch is rumoured to be almost done too.
http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor...as-more-exploration-than-3d-world-and-galaxy/

This makes me think, though, about how releasing a few months after the big Fall 2016 Release Bonanza is going to hurt those games' sales on the Switch. For example, Final Fantasy XV, assuming it comes out for the Switch, will be 4 months old by the time the Switch is released. This (arguably) hurt the Wii U, and it's probably going to hurt the Switch as well. Unless maybe they release the game with DLC built in? That could be a nice incentive.

Generations don't last a set amount of time. They end when the market is ready to move on and when the technology is available to make significant upgrades to the hardware.
It's seeming to be like that now. For years thuogh Nintendo did the 5 year cycle. Sony did something similar I think. A lot of compamies are moving away from the eyarly or per period of time cycle. The only one sticking ot it is Apple with their OSes and iPhones.
Nintendo sort of forced the issue releasing the Wii U
That they did. I agree with you. It was just another 5 year cycle for Nintendo but it got the others to wake up though.
This makes me think, though, about how releasing a few months after the big Fall 2016 Release Bonanza is going to hurt those games' sales on the Switch. For example, Final Fantasy XV, assuming it comes out for the Switch, will be 4 months old by the time the Switch is released. This (arguably) hurt the Wii U, and it's probably going to hurt the Switch as well. Unless maybe they release the game with DLC built in? That could be a nice incentive.
I get what you're saying here. The issue of the 3rd party games being mostly old ports at WiiU launch was not the only reason that caused the WiiU launch to do poorly but that is totally a major factor. The DLC build in factor is an option. A number of WiiU games that got DLC in Japan were released outside Japan later but with all the paid DLC thrown in for free. As nice as that is, that will not help things.

I beleive the ports of these games to the Switch are not aimed at multi console owners. They will buy the games day 1 on whatever console the game releases on. The ports are targeted at those who don't own a PS4 or are ok to wait for the gameand get it on the Switch. This assumes they buy a Switch on launch. This felt like the same approach taken with the WiiU but that failed when almost no one bought a WiiU at launch. Not even I bought my WiiU at launch. That's really something knowing how much of a Nintendo fanboi I am. We all know it. If Nintendo couldn't convince me to buy a WiiU at launch then they did something wrong. Basically people who are ok with waiting will wait till buy buy that console. If there is no reason to buy it at launch then they won't buy the game as well.

Nintendo looks to be dealing with this issue. This however also asks another question. Is there enough of these people out there to justify bringing out a 3 month old port to a new console? Sure it's the nice thing to do. But this is business and every move as to be aimed at improiving the bottom line. I just think all these companies believe there is enough Switch interest to make this viable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom