• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting concept. Horrible release time just as summer break is ending, so I'll probably not get one on launch.

I'm wondering if the handheld will have any cases for protection during portable play/transit? If it does will it not fit in the dock still? That seems a little awkward since the handheld part doesn't look all too durable.

I am very excited about the on-the-go functionality. I travel a lot, and when the commercial followed that guy through taxis, airports, and plane rides, I just kept thinking, "that's me! That's me!" I'm super pumped. I could sort of do this with the WiiU if I was willing to take the console with me, stick it in a backpack, and run the cord out to a plug in- hooray for TVless game pads!- but the Switch is MADE for this! Woohoo!

Its screen is also a few inches larger than an iPhone 5, so that settles my concern watching the commercial of "just how small is this thing?" Yay! Can't wait to learn more!

Emily Rodgers and several others have rumored that the Nintendo Switch will not be region-locked. If this is true, Nintendo is finally stepping into the right direction. There's also some speculation that the system can play 3DS games in portability mode.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Real talk here.

I hate this. I hate this concept.
Nintendo has lost me.

I'll stay arround for BOTW, but there's no way in hell the market is gonna take this thing seriously.
May I ask why you hate this concept?
Imagine being able to take FFXV on the go. Which I can almost guarantee will happen.

Also, the Market is actually taking this thing seriously. Like, most impressions of the system, especially from developers have been extremely positive.
Interesting concept. Horrible release time just as summer break is ending, so I'll probably not get one on launch.

I'm wondering if the handheld will have any cases for protection during portable play/transit? If it does will it not fit in the dock still? That seems a little awkward since the handheld part doesn't look all too durable.
I agree. I suspect the Switch will have the durability of your average iPad Essque device. Which... Don't drop it I guess.

The best thing though, is that unlike the 3DS and Wii U, your controller wearing out doesn't mean you have to buy a new system. You can just buy the new controller ports. Which will save a lot of money.

Wait, since you said it's not compatible with Wii-U games, there's no backwards compatibility? :( I was hoping I could just buy the NX to play some of the Wii U games on...

Overall this looks like a system that could really turn it around for Nintendo.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also, are downloadable games stored on the handheld bit-thingy? I wonder if they'll actually include a decent amount of storage space this time, 32GB is a joke.

I hope they'll release Wii U games on the virtual console for the sake of backward compatibility. Perhaps using a 3DS as a controller for them could work if they are smart enough to think that up and able enough to implement it. (Although there may be some control issues with this to overcome I suppose)

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Also, are downloadable games stored on the handheld bit-thingy? I wonder if they'll actually include a decent amount of storage space this time, 32GB is a joke.

I hope they'll release Wii U games on the virtual console for the sake of backward compatibility. Perhaps using a 3DS as a controller for them could work if they are smart enough to think that up and able enough to implement it. (Although there may be some control issues with this to overcome I suppose)
It looks like they are just remastering/porting Wii U games for the NX and adding additional content and improvements of it. Which... I don't know.... I might just end up selling my Wii U and all of my games for it.

I agree they need a bigger storage space. I don't think they will release Wii U games. I think they will have slightly upgrade Switch games. They are kinda showing that already in that mariokart and splatoon look the same probably with a bit of extra content or tweaks.

I think they are going to have a home console version and portable version. By that I mean they are selling them with and without the dock is my guess.
I also think it looks like it's mostly the same as the wii u in regards to graphics etc. The one thing that bugs me is they fundamentally changed the new Zelda to go with this console (took away the wii pad game support)

I am also sad they ditched 3d screen and touch screen. I like the 3ds better than this as a portable console

I hope it gets enough interesting exclusives. I don't care about 3rd party games because I already have a PS4/XBO. System is great for people that want to play full-fledged console games on the go. That's not me, though. I pretty much just play at home, so Nintendo needs to sell me on exclusives. I love Zelda. It's in my top 5 all-time series, but I need more than one game. I don't like Mario. I haven't for many years.

I never bought a Wii U, so if Nintendo can port over 90% of the games I want to play from Wii U, that will sell me on it instantly. Dragon Quest XI is amazing, but I'm already getting that on PS4. Maybe I'll try Dragon Quest X if it actually comes stateside, so that would be two games for the Switch I'd play.

One thing I don't want the Switch to be is just a system that gets the same games every other system gets. I don't need thirty devices that play the same games.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Simplistic, not too obnoxious design that won't stand out in public - check
Innovative without going over the top - check
No compulsory motion controls - check
Non generic name that does nothing to describe the console - check
No cringy advert involving kids playing Mario or some kind of party game - check

Nintendo is learning

So, a Bethesda guy had said that if NX was at least as powerfoul as Xboxone, they would develop for it.
Now look who's sixth at the third party lineup...

Im concerned about the durability of the controllers/console. It looks like one fall could mean $300 down the drain. I hope cases are made for it.
Apart from that it looks great! I actually prefer NX over Nintendo Switch though.

Im concerned about the durability of the controllers/console. It looks like one fall could mean $300 down the drain. I hope cases are made for it.
Apart from that it looks great! I actually prefer NX over Nintendo Switch though.
I like NX more than Switch too. :shrugs:

I am so hyped for it.:):):):):):):ezlo::ezlo:

There was a mario game in the trailer. I dont know if its a knew one or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom