• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

Was honestly the most paranoid about the controller. So happy that motion controls are nowhere in sight, and we've got solely traditional inputs back for the first time since the Gamecube.

It also looks like the Wii U's mistakes are being avoided - the trailer is very concise about what it is, and markets the new name well while finally ditching the "Wii" moniker.

All in all a great reveal, I think. The name was a bit surprising, but I think people will get used to it.
I am on the same level as you with the controller. My concern is the click. It's the shoulder buttons. They click.. there is no pressure sensitivity to it. Driving game don't do well with that style of controller.

He bought a stolen Switch. He didn't know this. But Nintendo came calling and he handed it back. He is out the Switch cost but otherwise he's not untrouble.

His official statement is:
Not sure if I can really talk about it but I will say Nintendo has the console back and I am personally not in any trouble. Other than being out a console and the money I paid for it which really sucks with all the bills I have right now but it isn't going to be the end of the world or anything.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230564943&postcount=1932

Also there is a tear down up. There's not much into given as it's all in chinese. But we can see the internals at least. The ifixit tear down will be much better as they actually understand what the internals are and will explain it for us. However here is the link to the teardown we have now.
http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-given-the-teardown-treatment/

My friend offered me his second reserved Switch but I decided to pass for now. I'm semi-excited about the hardware but with Zelda being on Wii U I think I can wait it out a bit, especially because it sounds like not everything is actually ready or ironed out for it yet.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Ok, I was worried that it would be like the 2-3 hour battery life of the Wii U gamepad or something but 20 hours will make for a nice BotW session.

My opinions on the Switch:

The good:
  • The size of the console - tiny and cool
  • The screen - looks really good. Sure it's not iPhone quality but it's still damn good and much better than the WiiU one.
  • The controllers - they all work very well to me. I've not had the joycon issues other have experienced yet. The joycon straps are a little tough to get off but that's not a bad thing when you consider how they will be used. They feel good and play well
  • The dock - put a screen protector on the Switch and put the Switch into the dock carefully so you don't scratch either side. Not hard to do, but if you take the time to be careful you'll be fine. Pay the $5-$10 more for the fake glass one, over the cheaper plastic one. It'll go on easier and feel better.
  • The noise - very quiet when in use
  • The heat - not that hot when in use. Totally acceptable
  • The pro controller - Feels great. Requires a few minutes to get used to the C-Stick being in an odd location, but past that it's quite a good controller.
  • The initial set up - takes a couple minutes to set up the console. Easy and quick. The fun (and longer) part is remaking your Mii.

The Bad:

The Switch UI - explained below
  • The theme you choose does not carry over to the eShop. I have dark mode on but that does not carry over to the eShop
  • No music in the eShop
  • The eShop is boring. It's not as info fulled and as fun as the WiiU eShop
  • The main UI screen is boring. No music, no folders to neatly organise games. Just one long list with so far 12 boxes there for games. Does it add more there once you get more than 12? Will folders e implimented one day for easier access to your games? Having to scroll through 30+ games every time would be so boring.
  • Where's the quick start menu?
  • The pathetic attempt at humour and layout of the information articles is terrible. It seems so childish, the opposite of what Nintendo is striving for with the Switch.

The kick stand - The Switch should have had a 2nd kick stand on the other side at the back for a more steady tabetop mode experience.
The place of the NFC readers on the joycon and pro controller. Makes reading the amiibo from inside the boxes hard. Also having the NFC reader not under the control stick would have been better so you could scan the amiibo closer to the NFC reader. This probably works fine with free amiibo though. I don't have any to test as all of mine are resealed boxed ones (with the anti NFC cards removed)

It was a largely predictable direct with more details on games we know, but what they showed, especially of Super Mario Odyssey was magnificent. I can't wait for what looks like the best Mario game in years, and the only game I think can truly challenge Breath of the Wild for Game of the Year.

As for the other announcements, Doom and Wolfenstein coming to Switch are bomb shells. Bethesda is becoming the number 1 AAA third party Switch developer. I'm very glad to have them on board. Hopefully Rockstar will take their example and port over GTA V and Red Dead Redemption in the future.

Project Octopath Traveler was a game I wasn't expecting to see this year. It's looking gorgeous, and I'll check out the demo over the weekend. The premise of playing as eight different characters who can influence the world in unique ways should be a breath of fresh air for the genre when it releases next year.

First party surprises were sparse, but I think I'll check out Mario Party: The Top 100, and I was glad to have names and footage shown for Kirby: Battle Royale and Kirby: Star Allies.

The 3DS is still receiving first party support in 2018, which shows Nintendo has learned not to cut off cash cows early, while steadily creating a solid Switch catalog.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Saw a bit of the SMO video. Looks better than I originally thought.

Still, I was lookign forward to more info on Skyrim

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom